Help - Scottish Power

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5690 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My 87 year-old mother lives alone and has just been cold-called by salesmen representing these guys.

They informed her that her current electricity and gas suppliers have ceased trading and/or been taken over by them. They then got her to sign up for supply of both with Scottish Power and completed the DD mandate.

After they left, she rang me to tell me about how Scottish Power have taken over from the same suppliers that we use.

She has been conned - no doubt about it.

She has, according to the paperwork, 7 days cooling off. I have told her that I will construct a letter to be sent by signed-for delivery to Scottish Power cancelling the agreement. I also think that I should send letters to both British Gas and Southern Electric informing them of what has happened and that no request/demand for transfer is to take place without then first checking with my mother to get written confirmation of her wishes. Lastly, a letter to her bank (Barclays) cancelling the DD mandate and that no mandate from Scottish Power is to be accepted in the future.

Any thoughts on how else to cancel this. Also any thoughts of (legal) actions I can take against these con-men.

She has had a short lecture from me about never, ever signing up for something where she is cold-called. If she wants to look at changing, we can look in a more leisurely and dispassionate manner via the WWW.

My 87 year-old mother lives alone and has just been cold-called by salesmen representing these guys.

They informed her that her current electricity and gas suppliers have ceased trading and/or been taken over by them. They then got her to sign up for supply of both with Scottish Power and completed the DD mandate.

After they left, she rang me to tell me about how Scottish Power have taken over from the same suppliers that we use.

She has been conned - no doubt about it.

She has, according to the paperwork, 7 days cooling off. I have told her that I will construct a letter to be sent by signed-for delivery to Scottish Power cancelling the agreement. I also think that I should send letters to both British Gas and Southern Electric informing them of what has happened and that no request/demand for transfer is to take place without then first checking with my mother to get written confirmation of her wishes. Lastly, a letter to her bank (Barclays) cancelling the DD mandate and that no mandate from Scottish Power is to be accepted in the future.

Any thoughts on how else to cancel this. Also any thoughts of (legal) actions I can take against these con-men.

She has had a short lecture from me about never, ever signing up for something where she is cold-called. If she wants to look at changing, we can look in a more leisurely and dispassionate manner via the WWW.

Send it by special delivery, not signed for. Signed for isn't guaranteed.

You don't have legal recourse - to the best of my knowledge - unless she has suffered for it, which she hasn't because she's lucky to have a daughter like you to step in and stop her from being conned all the way.

You can complain to the "new" consumer "champion" - Consumer Focus - and see if they do anything and to Ofgem but frankly I think it's a waste of your time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Send it by special delivery, not signed for. Signed for isn't guaranteed.

Ok, ta

she's lucky to have a daughter like you to step in and stop her from being conned all the way.

Not last time I looked!:eek:

Here we go again, I remember this happening country wide a few years ago. How disgusting, I cannot believe these **** can sleep at night!

I know they wouldn't do anything, but is it worth reporting to the police?

Also I think Watchdog would be interested in this, I think it was on here last time, copy in the big cheese of Scottish Power when you do aswell, heads should roll then.

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

The Police couldn't give a hoot. They won't deal with things like this.

Trading Standards will only deal with it where the OP has names.

The only other people that may lift an eyelid are Consumer Focus - our supposed "champion" - and Ofgem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

I have read on here today that the ever useless Ofgem has merged into a much larger useless organisation!

It is a pity that you can't crack these jokers one with a baseball bat!

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

I have read on here today that the ever useless Ofgem has merged into a much larger useless organisation!

It is a pity that you can't crack these jokers one with a baseball bat!

Well it's not true. Ofgem regulates the energy markets. Energywatch was merged into this useless organization with a few others but no government office as such has been merged into.

Ah right I see, thanks for clearing that up.

George Bernard Shaw

How does this look (anonymised here, of course)

23 Westwood Road

Greenham

Newbury

Berks.

RG14 7TH

7th October 2008.

Dear Sirs,

Energy Supply Contract 113940842

Following a cold-call by two of your representatives yesterday, I signed up for the above referenced contract.

After a period of reflection and checking with others, I have found that my current energy supplier has not been ‘taken over’ by you, nor is it now defunct. I am less than happy with the sales techniques employed by your representatives/agents.

I have therefore decided that, given the selling methods used, I wish to cancel this contract forthwith in its entirety.

Please let me have your acknowledgement of this cancellation, in writing, within 7 days of the date of service of this letter; together with written confirmation that all personal details pertaining to me have been excised from your systems. For the avoidance of doubt, I do not wish any future contact, written or otherwise, with Scottish Power or any associate company.

Yours faithfully,

M. Davies (Mrs)

How does this look (anonymised here, of course)

Dear Sirs,

Energy Supply Contract 113940842

Following a cold-call by two of your representatives yesterday, I signed up for the above referenced contract upon the basis of their misleading and untrue information.

After a period of reflection and checking with others, I have found that my current energy supplier has not been ‘taken over’ by you, nor is it now defunct. I am of course extremely disappointed with the sales techniques employed by your representatives/agents.

I have therefore decided that, given the illegal selling methods used, I wish to cancel this contract in its entirety, forthwith.

I demand that you will acknowledge this cancellation, in writing, within 7 days of the date of service of this letter; together with written confirmation that all personal details pertaining to me have been permanently erased from your systems. For the avoidance of doubt, I do not wish any future contact, written or otherwise, from Scottish Power or any associated company.

Furthermore, considering the illegal sales tactics used I intend to complain to Consumer Focus [who have recently taken over Energywatch] and Ofgem. I also contend that I am entitled to compensation for the aggravation caused at finding out that I had been defrauded into switching to your company and expect such satisfactory compensation within 28 days or I will be complaining to Consumer Focus.

Yours Sincerely,

I've made some modifications in red, but overall pretty good. It should be sent to:

Scottish Power Limited,

1 Atlantic Quay,

Robertson Street,

Glasgow,

G2 8SP