Help required please ref. Cabot Finance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5688 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I am new to the group and would like to ask for help in regards of cabot Finance who are at present making my life thoroughly miserable.

Within the last few months Cabot finance started making phone calls to my home phone number.

They asked to speak to my oldest son aged 22 but as he was not available they said they would call back. When they called back he was available to take their call, to be told he owed monies to SKY tv at a previous address he lodged at for a few months (the tenancy for this property was not in his name) for which he failed to pay, and that they were calling to start claiming the money . He informed them over the phone that he had never taken out a contract with said TV company as he was only allowed to stay at the property for a few months by a friend. (She herself never had SKY installed only a freeview box).

Cabot proceeded to ask my son for my address so they could send notice of payment. On my instruction being as this debt refuted by my son has even less to do with me I refused to allow my home address to be given.

They asked if my son had an email address. He gave them his and was informed they would contact him on that. They never have contacted him via his email address.

A week later they rang my number again and asked to speak to my son. I asked them who they were and asked them how they had managed to obtain my private home phone number. To this they replied that my son had given it to them. (raise of eyebrows).

I asked them what this was in relation to, to be told that could not be discussed with me as it was not my account.

I informed them they had no right to keep calling me on my number and asked them to remove my number from their call list forthwith. I was assured that this would be carried out.

Peace for a week!!!! End of it!!!!! no.

For the last 5 weeks I have been called repeatedly by said company calls starting at 8am continuing at various times throughout the day til approx 9 pm.

I have asked them on numerous occasions not to call my number. I have informed them that this is my own number no one elses and is used mostly in relation to my 2 year old daughter who is disabled and has an AVSD (heart condition) and that whilst they are continuing to harass me in the way they are they are preventing genuine calls from getting through to me in regards of my daughter.

All I have been told though is as this is the only number they have then this is the one they will keep ringing until such time as they receive an alternative way of contacting my son. (Hello he gave them his email address)They also state they are not harassing me.

I really am at my wits end and don't know what to do except to have my number changed. That will entail a lot of work on my part informing 3 hospitals(including numerous departments), child development centre, sensory inclusion services, portage,doctors, a primary school, secondary school and college and thats without numerous family friends etc etc of a change of number.

My son today went to see his solicitor in regards of this matter, and whilst his solicitor will forward a strongly worded letter to them he has made no promises as it seems one of his other clients is having similar problems he has forwarded a letter on this other clients behalf, yet Cabot finance ignore solicitors letters too and are still calling them.

Please can anyone help and advise me how to stop them calling me. I have had enough of them calling whilst my daughter and 2 other young sons are in bed, waking them up. They just don't seem to care!!!

Thank you

please if you do have any advice for me I really don't understand technical jargon i.e abbreviations on this scale could you please advise me in human terms

Once again thank you for your time and for reading this

Firstly you need to get them calls stopped. There is a letter here Harassment by telephone - Consumer Wiki

Secondly, move your post to the Debt collector forum, and await advice.

Normally I would suggest requesting a copy of the agreement which if this debt is your sons, he should have signed. But I am fairly new to this site and

A)I am not sure that this is the right way to go with Sky

B)You would have to give them an address to send it to.

Sit tight, you will get the advice you need very soon. :)

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

You need to get the telephone harrassment letter off, emphasising that they are calling your personal phone, which is not available for your son's use. Don't go into detail about the reasons why the line must be kept free - they don't give a damn about that because they are heartless bullies of the worst kind. Golden Rule for you and your son - NEVER speak to them on the phone about anything. Insist that everything is in writing and then hang up. If you have a caller display phone and can see it is them calling, just lif the receiver and lay it down by the phone, thereby running up their bill. If they ignore your request to stop calling, you should complain to your local Trading Standards as well as making a formal complaint to Cabot's internal complaints department. You can also complain to the Office of Fair Trading. The OFT don't deal with individual complaints but what they do is log it in their file on Cabot and it is looked at when they come to renew their credit licence. Now and again when they have had enough complaints, they take a swipe at one or a number of DCAs and tell them to stop.

Now, the supposed account. Somehow or other your son's name has been given to Cabot as having had a Sky account so Cabot need to prove it was your son's account. Your son says it wasn't so it looks as if Cabot are going to be right out of luck in trying to pursue a debt that doesn't exist.

Your son can send for a copy of the alleged agreement. The letter to send is here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Send the required £1 by postal order. Tell him to print, not sign his name - some debt collection agencies are not above forging signatures on documents. They have 12 working days (plus 2 for admin) to reply and if they do not reply within that time, the account goes into dispute and they cannot pursue hime for payment whilst the account is in dispute. Whatever they come up with, scan it on here and we will have a look at it it to see if it is a tru copy of a properly executed agreement. No areement means there is no debt and your son doesn't have to pay them anything.

Hi I would also have a word with you phone supplier to see if they could help also complain to OFCOM.

Ofcom's advice on your next step

Problems with your landline phone -

Privacy issues - nuisance and sales calls and faxes

Malicious or nuisance calls, whether from people you know or from complete strangers, are a criminal offence.

You should tell your phone company as soon as you receive a malicious or nuisance call from somebody. It doesn’t matter whether you know the caller’s identity or not.

Phone the operator and ask for the number of your company’s nuisance or malicious calls team. Then tell the team that you have received a malicious or nuisance call from somebody. Tell the team what the caller said.

In some cases, particularly if the caller is threatening, your phone company will advise you to call the police. If the caller is making direct threats to you or your family and you believe those threats to be real and immediate, then you must call 999 straight away. However, if you believe that the threats made are not immediate, then you should call your local police station on their normal local telephone number.

Action:

Contact your phone company's nuisance or malicious call team

dpick

Hi,

If its any consolation,cabot are chasing my husband for a debt none of us have any knowledge of,Cabot have not yet provided proof of this debt and they can take a jump.Luckily they dont have our telephone numbers and the letters have stopped since I sent an email to the main man at cabot.

Sorry Pinky but I dont think sky tv is covered by a cca request, he would really need to SAR sky and get the agreement from them to see who's name was on it and the alledged period it was for

in relation to the DCA, just send them the phone harassment letter and also inform them that all calls are now being logged and an official complaint is being made to ofcom re the nature and frequency of the harassment