TK MAX and RLP -Incorrectly priced bag

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4919 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The security's behavior is another thing. They dragged us to the room. When I said that they should not touch us, the security guy just laughed and said that minimal force is allowed because we were not co-operative. It seems to me that he created the law himself...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She didn't commit an offence, its a [problem].

I might add, I certainly don't think she is dishonest, she new the bag wasn't £500. it was a loose tag, she threw it on the floor, often there are price tags with items which are obviously nothing to do with the item. What do most of us do.? I certainly disregard them and ask for the correct price. Then decide if I want to purchase it or not.

Security probably saw them comming and thought, perfect victims!

I comletely agree with you. A young girl with an elderly lady. They claimed that I was really happy when I got this bag. Why shouldn't a costumer be happy after purchasing something that she/he likes? Their arguments made no sense to me.

If the sales assistant would request me to pay 500 I would pay or I would just leave it. They requested 49, I paid. It was their duty to check twice if not sure about the price. The security claimed that they sell thousands of bags and its impossible to remember prices.Of course, but there exists a code which can be easily checked in the computer...

I really do not know what to do, either pay these 80 or fight for my rights.

The security guy made me sign a banning notice and made me admit "dishonesty". It was probably recorded so it would be almost impossible to win my claim.

Any admission made by you in the circumstances is worthless as it was made under duress.

I don't recall seeing it anywhere but what happened to the bag? Did security take it off you?

What is the criminal action which has been taken against you (identify the precise charge and relevant legislation if known), who is prosecuting the criminal action and what is the forum / venue for the criminal action?

x20

Dear Surfaceagent,

I had to sign a banning notice and they want me to pay a fine to Retail Loss Prevention Limited - About Us

As I am not a thief, I don't want to do it.

Dear Surfaceagent,

I had to sign a banning notice and they want me to pay a fine to Retail Loss Prevention Limited - About Us

As I am not a thief, I don't want to do it.

Did they actually call it a fine, and have you had anything in writing from RPL yet?

Have a read of the Debenhams thread I posted a link to above.

Whatever you do, don't pay anything, and don't talk to RPL or any DCA on the phone.

I would imagine the best course of action is to write to the TK MAxx head office and make a formal complaint about the actions of the security guards initially.

Was the money that you paid for the bag refunded or have they kept that as well?

r.mayer, please stand your ground on this. You'll get lots of support from others on this site. TK Maxx have been involved in too many cases like this. If you pay them they'll do the same to someone else. Let us know how you get on and good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
I am writing as I experienced a very unpleasant situation while shopping with my mother in the TkMax Hammersmith store.

I understand that my actions were slightly wrong but I would be grateful for your advice. I'm describing the situation below.

While shopping my mother saw a Marc Jacobs bag with a loose price tag inside (about 500 pounds). We took out the tag and I asked the sales associates for the price. They answered that the bag is worth 49 pounds (as other bags were worth a similar amount). I just took it to the till and paid.

When we were coming out of the store the security directed us to the interview room where we were made to admit "a dishonest appropriation” of the item. The security staff were almost aggressive while talking to us. I was so stressed that I just admitted it. However, I did not swap the tags(I dropped the tag on the floor) and I asked the sales assistants for the price which they quoted. I just paid the amount I was requested to pay.

I'm a law student and thats why I'm so angry.

I'm sorry but I think you knew exactly what you were doing and that was to try and get a very expensive item a lot cheaper by using an element of dishonesty.

Had you simply asked if the price tag inside was correct then fine but instead you used subterfuge in the hope to get a bargain as you, or your ma, appear to know who the designer Marc Jacobs is.

Not sure of the criminal element but I think a ban from the store is appropriate and which they are entitled to enforce.

However, the accusation of dishonest appropriation could well be accurate and no doubt they have your actions on camera which is why you were stopped.

As a law student surely you must recognise you were asking for trouble?

• Haha 2

I'm sorry but I think you knew exactly what you were doing and that was to try and get a very expensive item a lot cheaper by using an element of dishonesty.

Had you simply asked if the price tag inside was correct then fine but instead you used subterfuge in the hope to get a bargain as you, or your ma, appear to know who the designer Marc Jacobs is.

Not sure of the criminal element but I think a ban from the store is appropriate and which they are entitled to enforce.

However, the accusation of dishonest appropriation could well be accurate and no doubt they have your actions on camera which is why you were stopped.

As a law student surely you must recognise you were asking for trouble?

Sorry Al, but you really are talking rubbish here. Perhaps you should read the thread properly before jumping in and making accusations of criminal behaviour without the substance to back it up.

I quite agree with Al. while there may not be an element of theft, the Op has certainly used subterfuge in order to gain a price advantage. There is no other way of stating it. If the label had fell out it would be a different matter, but to deliberately remove it in the hope of getting it at a better price is damned wrong. the OP cannot be said to have done nothing wrong - they have even admitted it themselves, and I am very surprised tha this is being defended on this site.

• Haha 1

I don't think there is a criminal aspect to this situation; but for those questioning the OPs honesty, maybe the OP can clarify a couple of questions;

1 - Why did you feel the need to remove the tag, and then ask the price - rather than query whether the price was correct?

2 - How did you move from "working within the luxury goods industry" on the 24th August to becoming a "Law Student" by the 26th August?

I quite agree with Al. while there may not be an element of theft, the Op has certainly used subterfuge in order to gain a price advantage..

The only problem with this viewpoint is that the OP then asked a member of staff to verify what the price of the item was. It would be stretching things considerably to describe that as subterfuge.:rolleyes:

I don't think there is a criminal aspect to this situation; but for those questioning the OPs honesty, maybe the OP can clarify a couple of questions;

1 - Why did you feel the need to remove the tag, and then ask the price - rather than query whether the price was correct?

2 - How did you move from "working within the luxury goods industry" on the 24th August to becoming a "Law Student" by the 26th August?

since when were students barred from doing part time work ...just a guess, not beyond the realms of possibility

Guys! NOT helping here! Could you possibly carry on your bickering by PM instead of hijacking OP's thread? :mad:

I think it is of absolute importance Bookie - and I fully agree with Al(nearly having a heart attack saying it) and gyzmo.

Was this theft? No. However, the OP has clearly, by her own admission, made a deliberate and intentional attempt to disguise the price as shown on the bag. Anyone who says this isnt dishonest really is being delibrately obtuse - to my mind, it is the definition of.

Does this actually change the situation? No - TK Maxx did state a price, and the price requested paid. As such, no crime, and OTT behaviour by TK MAxx and their representatives. But I really do think it is crucially important that the OP realises that her behaviour was inappropriate and dishonest.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Was this theft? No. However, the OP has clearly, by her own admission, made a deliberate and intentional attempt to disguise the price as shown on the bag. Anyone who says this isnt dishonest really is being delibrately obtuse - to my mind, it is the definition of.

The only flaw here is that the OP has also made a deliberate effort to find out the correct price by asking a member of staff to verify it. That is hardly the actions of someone dishonest.

But has also made a deliberate effort to ensure that the reason he was querying the price was hidden.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

What I would say(at the risk of being lynched) is that all those saying the actions werrent dishonest, I strongly suspect KNOW they are talking rubbish, and are just being somewhat trollish in their behaviour, and wishing to provoke a reaction.

I think that ANYONE with any kind of morals KNOWS that there was at least an element of dishonesty here - the OP included(who has basically admitted that it wasnt entirely honest). If people genuinely think that this was 100% honest, then I am genuinely saddened by the sense of decency in this country.

• Haha 1

Hi everyone,

I am a licenced SIA security officer and i am not shocked at reading this thread. There are many security officers that i would not trust. All security officers must follow certain rules before you can stop a suspect. You must first see them approach the item, then select that item and then conceal/remove the price tag etc. And then leave without offering payment etc. The security have to then wait till you have left the property and then detain you on suspession of theft or fraud etc. The fact that the police where not called means that you won't have a record. May i ask how old you are ? The reason i'm asking is that there are certain things that must be followed before civil recovery is issued. You are within your rights to view the cctv under the data protection act at a cost of £10. I would also make enquries and find out if the security are SIA licenced. If not then the security are breaking the law. Was the banning order a verbal or writen banning order. And as the police where not called to confirm details etc it can't be used.

Cases won.

Littlewoods, Moorecroft,Nationwide £923.12 written off

CapQuest Debt Recovery

£687.34 written off OH

Reliable Collections

£2076.11 too be written off OH

Egg

£317.38 Charges paid back and cheque for £250.64 p for myself

If i have been any help to you tip my scales

However removing the price tag and dropping it on the floor which you admit to doing yourself, and then asking a member of staff for the price and then paying that price at the tills is an offence. In fact what you have done is an arrestable offence under the police and criminal evidence act as you have commit theft/fraud by deception. The fact that the item may have been priced incorrectly doesn't matter. The fact is you did this offence and have admited it there and then as well as on here. I work in that high street and if you where to try that where i work you would be taken away in cuffs and have a criminal record and proberly out of work right now. So count yourself lucky

Cases won.

Littlewoods, Moorecroft,Nationwide £923.12 written off

CapQuest Debt Recovery

£687.34 written off OH

Reliable Collections

£2076.11 too be written off OH

Egg

£317.38 Charges paid back and cheque for £250.64 p for myself

If i have been any help to you tip my scales