• Tweets

• I contacted Sanctury housing in August 2023 after informing them my father in law who had Dementia had moved into a Nursing home December 2022. We kept the flat for 8 months until such a time we could accomodate some of his furniture that my wife wanted to keep. I contacted them in August 2023 to let them know the situation by email as I was the named person that could speak on his behalf. I informed them that we had left it to late for POT and were seeing a solicitor for Deputyship of his financies. I asked them what information would they need in order to give notice on the flat and we could provide details of his condition and nursing home. This went ignored I left it a month and then called them October 2023. I was promised a call back from a manager over the next few days. This never happened and it was end of November when I contacted them again and they had no record of me calling them. I explained the email and again I was told the local manager to the area would call me. This never happened and I ended up emailing them in January 2024 with a copy of the email from August. Again this went ignored and I had explained to them that we couldn't just go to the bank and stop the DD as we had tried. This email again went ignored. I then had a letter written to our home address in February asking us to get in contact with them (local manager) as they were concerend nobody was living in the flat. He had an email address so I copied in the last 2 emails to say I had been trying to give notice since August 2023. I also stated that I would like the rent that was paid from August 2023 refunded back to his account as I had officially tried to give notice then and it went ignored. He replied to us about wanting to look at the flat then notice could be given once he had contacted the nursing home to confirm he was actually living there now. Notice was giving for the 22 March 2024 and this would be when rent would stop and no further payment would be taken by this point. The fact I asked to be back dated went ignored. I have since noticed on 2 banks statement for April and May that they are still taking Rent payments of £501 from his bank. Further to this which seems very strange. He was with Eon Next for his utility bill again we were having problems getting this stopped as they needed a named person on his account which there wasn't one despite me managing his online account for him. I didn't check the email address that often that I used to set it up and went to check as noticed the credit he had built up with not living there was all getting refunded in February. The email said £600 would be refunded to his account with a (sorry you are leaving us message) but how can he leave as nobody but himself had access to speak with them. I also noticed the lady in the flat above him had a letter from her bank sent to his address with his address details but his name which was dated 4th March well before we had given notice and it said (thank you for giving us your new address details) we have set all this up for your account.   So Sanctuary housing must have been aware he wasn't living there from the ignored emails for the lady above to start changing address details to move into his flat before the housing manager had even got in contact to ask if anyone was living there. What I basically want to know his do we have any legal standing to claim the rent back from when I first contacted them in August 2023? There is roughly £3000 to come back  
    • lowell letter = we've mugged you once - why are you not paying this other debt....😎
    • i see you are posting this all over the internet too. here you say it was returned by the safety camera dept UK, Wales Returned NIP Nov23 - Heard Nothing - Now It's been returned as refused and have SJPN Form. Help please? WWW.FTLA.UK UK, Wales Returned NIP Nov23 - Heard Nothing - Now It's been returned as refused and have SJPN Form. Help please?  
    • I see what you mean. I will wait till the 8 weeks is up and then take it up with FOS. Before I do will be on with some more details on the SAR. Thank you once again. 
    • Tagging @stu007 who's great with this. You should have at least 2 months notice with a Section 21 notice (Which Form 6A is used) For now, scan, redact and upload anything you think will be useful    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HFC Loan Court Claim-Advise needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5416 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:)Thanks

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Superman - have look at this thread post #5

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/164325-date-issue-re-default.html#post1778617

42man has posted the details of the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561)

Hope this helps.

Also worth reading this excellent post by x20 who details defective Default Notices.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1739007.html

If a Judge decides that the DN gave 14 days, this OP's defence will be up the swany as he's admitting he entered in to the agreement. Hinging a defence on a faulty DN on this basis is dangerous, IMHO, as if the agreement turns up and is enforceable, plus the Judges decision on the date of service goes against the OP, the defence will fail.

For reference, in Contract Law, anything posted 1st class is deemed as served on the same day - no allowance is made for non-delivery.

If a Judge decides that the DN gave 14 days, this OP's defence will be up the swany as he's admitting he entered in to the agreement. Hinging a defence on a faulty DN on this basis is dangerous, IMHO, as if the agreement turns up and is enforceable, plus the Judges decision on the date of service goes against the OP, the defence will fail.

For reference, in Contract Law, anything posted 1st class is deemed as served on the same day - no allowance is made for non-delivery.

Does a default notice come under contract law?

I would have thought that the wording in the regulations gives an indication that a time consideration has been given for service – because the regs specifically refer to fourteen days after date of service – if there was not meant to be an allowance for ‘postal service’ then the wording would be different wouldn’t it?

The defence does not admit to the agreement being enforceable btw.

Erm where does this assertion come from?

Both Chitty on contract, Cheshire & fi foot contract law both set out that in relation to withdrawal from an offer prior to acceptance, the withdrawal is not complete until the communication is Received NOT sent

can you please direct me to the authority that this is based upon?

Does a default notice come under contract law?

Technically, yes, as all CCA's are based on contracts, albeit that the Consumer Credit Act gives additional protection such as the need for a Default Notice under s.87/s.99.

I would have thought that the wording in the regulations gives an indication that a time consideration has been given for service – because the regs specifically refer to fourteen days after date of service – if there was not meant to be an allowance for ‘postal service’ then the wording would be different wouldn’t it?

I think the same, but I'm not aware of any caselaw to use as precedent. Opinions can be ignored without a binding precedent.

The defence does not admit to the agreement being enforceable btw.

If the defence admits the entering of the agreement, a Judge will take that as a face value admission - CPR Part 16.5 will be considered and, because the Defence doesn't put the Claimant to proof of having an enforceable agreement, the Judge would be right to think that that is admitted and not look at that part of the argument. What would be more effective, would have been to use the standard holding defence that knocks around this site, with an "in the alternative" statement regarding the faulty DN notice.

Erm where does this assertion come from?

Both Chitty on contract, Cheshire & fi foot contract law both set out that in relation to withdrawal from an offer prior to acceptance, the withdrawal is not complete until the communication is Received NOT sent

can you please direct me to the authority that this is based upon?

You're right in thinking I'm in that area, Paul, but it's surrounding Postal acceptance of an offer and the authority is Quenerduaine v Cole (1883) 32 WR 185 & Holwell Securities Ltd v Hughes (1974) 1 WLR 155.

Also, there is a presumption, when the postal rule applies, that any withdrawal of acceptance is impossible once the acceptance has been posted (A to Z Bazaars (Pty) Ltd v Minister of Agriculture (1974) 4 SA 392).

I am using this as one example of how one area of Law can be used as persuasive precedent in that this is how a postal date of service may be construed.

Do you meen this PT?

7. Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be

served by post (whether the expression "serve" or the expression

"give" or "send" or any other expression is used) then, unless the

contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected

by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing

the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been

effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the

ordinary course of post.

If so does s189 of the CCA act defining it differantly as

“ serve on “ means deliver or send by post to;

mean that a,

contrary intention appears,

Im getting totally confused on this "date of service" of a default bit, and i now have TS saying its the date of posting, not delivery, as well

is true, making that agument that the date of posting is the day of service??

but what about the interpretation act 1978? that has something to say on service by post;)

Do you meen this PT?

If so does s189 of the CCA act defining it differantly as

mean that a,

is true, making that agument that the date of posting is the day of service??

Im getting totally confused on this "date of service" of a default bit, and i now have TS saying its the date of posting, not delivery, as well

[/left]

The issue is that there are different ways to view the issue, depending on how your own personal mindset works, so this would be for a Judge to decide...

More Judge Lottery...

The issue is that there are different ways to view the issue, depending on how your own personal mindset works, so this would be for a Judge to decide...

More Judge Lottery...

So nasty creditor can issue a default (read print) leave it sitting in the post room for a few days, send it via UK Mail who, by there track record, the mixture of the two takes anything from 5-15 days to deliver the dam thing (dont bother argueing that, i had one letter that took 28 days to reach me:eek:) meaning the 14 days allowed to address the default could be up before you even recieve it, but no one can prove it as UK Mail are not franked with a date :-| and thats OK :confused:

Am i missing something?

I think i need to borrow your avatar car2403, sums up just how i feel :sad:

Hi

do i need to file any witness statements in response to the SJ application before the deadline set by the court while negociating a settlement?

Yes, but only worry about that if they don't agree to vacating the hearing on the basis that you are willing to agree a settlement, first.

I've sent them a settlement offer today and have invited them to vacate the SJ hearing while we are negotiating. The witness statement deadline is on 05.01.08

Can you help me preparing that in case I have to submit b4 the 5th? should they refuse to vacate

Many tks

Super

Yes, but there is little to go on at this stage because of the claim and the issues with the agreement.

Was the settlement offer "without prejudice save as to costs"?

Don't wait for them to receive it and reply - I'd suggest that you call them to discuss, given the tight deadlines, and get verbal agreement to vacate, then email/fax the settlement to them and get a response by email/fax. The timing of this is critical, as you need something to say they will vacate prior to the hearing - if push comes to shove, you may have to attend the hearing and provide that evidence to the Judge to show that settlement is being discussed and the hearing shouldn't be heard.

If they don't agree to vacate, we'll have to consider other options, but lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

I'd suggest that you only phone if you can record the call. Email or fax by all means, but unless you have it in writing or can record it there is scope for misinterpretation, misunderstanding or outright denial of saying something should it get to court. Too easy to backtrack if it's verbal, and sometimes you can say things you regret if you aren't quick enough thinking on your feet during a phone call.;)

As a starter for your witness statement if you want to be prepared, just in case and to ensure you don't have to rush it if things don't get resolved in time, I suggest that you jot down clearly in your own words the whole sequence of events that have led you to this stage. It'll just help you to be clear in your own mind, and give you a framework to build on.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I'd suggest that you only phone if you can record the call. Email or fax by all means, but unless you have it in writing or can record it there is scope for misinterpretation, misunderstanding or outright denial of saying something should it get to court. Too easy to backtrack if it's verbal, and sometimes you can say things you regret if you aren't quick enough thinking on your feet during a phone call.;)

I'd normally agree, Caro, but the timescales on this one are quite tight, which is why I suggest calling.

If they do want to talk about the case, just say you are only calling to get agreement to vacate and begin settlement negotiations, which can be done by post/fax/email, etc.

As a starter for your witness statement if you want to be prepared, just in case and to ensure you don't have to rush it if things don't get resolved in time, I suggest that you jot down clearly in your own words the whole sequence of events that have led you to this stage. It'll just help you to be clear in your own mind, and give you a framework to build on.

To be honest, IMHO, there isn't any point spending a lot of time on a WS at this stage - if settlement negotiations don't go well and they don't agree to vacate the hearing, there's a possibility that Summary Judgment may be entered, so we may need to consider Admitting the claim anyway. This is one of those bridges I didn't want to cross at this stage... :(

You're probably right car but I'm a belt and braces type lol. If things didn't go as hoped I was just thinking it might be as well to be prepared. There isn't a lot of time to get it done if things don't go to plan and the WS is needed. It's the OP's call how they want to play it. Just giving an option. ;):)

You're probably right car but I'm a belt and braces type lol. If things didn't go as hoped I was just thinking it might be as well to be prepared. There isn't a lot of time to get it done if things don't go to plan and the WS is needed. It's the OP's call how they want to play it. Just giving an option. ;):)

Agreed... Options would be good on this one, IMHO... ;)

I have trouble speaking to Reston's, the person dealing with the case is not around. I've sent an email as well as voice mails.

I think i need to prepare the witness statement as the deadline is Monday in case i cannot get through.

are there any examples of how WS should be done? can you kindly help?

tks

super