Debt following death.

nuthatch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5447 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi NH

Sometimes it never rains but it pours.

Hope your mum is ok.You concentrate on getting her well - you might be suprised how quickly she mends.

When you are at the hospital just think about all those folk in there who would gladly swap places with any of us if all they had to worry about was money!;)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi NH

You concentrate on getting your mum and yourself better.

you will find the strength over time to deal with all this and as a result you will get there failing that you can always as for help from the likes of the CAB.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

"Egg have been so stupid. I have written to them several times and they keep sending letters back that bear no relation to any comments I have made."

They rely on computers and quite frankly should not be in charge of anybody's money. Fit to hold a consumer credit licence? They are not fit to run a garden party.

Edited by overdone
typos

If my post helped you feel better, click my scales.

if there not fit for the above the a boozeup in a brewery would be impossible for them to organise.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

if there not fit for the above the a boozeup in a brewery would be impossible for them to organise.

Unless funded by a company hospitality credit card.

A close relative of mine worked for RBOS...may their souls be eternally damned...and she was shocked when a night out for the staff was paid for on a special credit card for the purpose :mad:

In fact, she was so appalled with the waste of money, she now works for a charity.

We used to provide our own sandwiches and sausage rolls for any parties we had at work.

A close relative of mine worked for RBOS...may their souls be eternally damned...and she was shocked when a night out for the staff was paid for on a special credit card for the purpose :mad:

In fact, she was so appalled with the waste of money, she now works for a charity.

We used to provide our own sandwiches and sausage rolls for any parties we had at work.

....and that's why their shares are now FREE with every box of Kellogs Cornflakes.:-D

lol Chancellor.

Do they come on frosties as i dont like cornflakes?

More to the point, did it have a valid CCA. An enforceable agreement?

More to the point, did it have a valid CCA. An enforceable agreement?

:lol:

Just to update this thread.

Since writing back to 3 of DH's creditors asking them to provide proof of the debt, I have had no communication at all.

My biggest pain at the moment is the Inland Revenue.

I had to fill a Self Assessment Form in on behalf of my husband and I have had it returned twice.

I have spoken to the relevant Tax Office twice for advice but I must really be thick because I still had problems.

Last year we used an Accountant as there was Capital Gains to work out and the accounts from my husband's failed business but it cost an arm and a leg so I said I would do it myself because he left no money.

Amongst other things the form asked for how much he made in tips from his job as a cook. I know this is a required bit of information but how on earth am I expected to know that:confused: When I asked the office that question she asked if DH kept a note book somewhere with the details in.

I told her I had no idea as it was his own private affair and, given that his total income between April 07 and when he died in June 08 was about £10000 (including Pensions) I shouldn't think it was much as he was only working 10 hours a week .

I think this should be a lesson to everyone to keep your money under the mattress so all your (trusted) relatives know where it is and can do what they want with it :rolleyes:

Typical IR behaviour, they love these self assessment forms, as you say how on earth would you know how much he got in tips! They kept sending me penalty notices going up a £100 a time even though they said that my OH and I didn't have to self assessment forms in anymore, so I copied their letters and sent them to my MP. I was impressed at the speed of the reply and the fact they have passed my complaint on to the appropriate dept. They have "kindly" suspended the penalties for the present, this is the second time, last time they sent an amended penalty notice saying we owed nothing:-?

I have, today received an unbelievable letter from EGG.

I sent them a copy of all my late husband's credit card statements showing his liabilities. I also sent them a copy of his final building society statement.And the letter from Lloyds TSB saying the debt is written off.

I have now received a letter asking me to fill in a form providing them with all this information again.

I am shaking like a leaf.

They have still not provided proof of this debt as requested.

Is there someone important I can write to at EGG to tell them what they are doing to me?

I have provided all this information before...admittedly on a form of my own design and not their own.But as I knew I would have to send it to a few people I thought it would save me time filling in yet another form.

How many times do they need to know that he had no assets? No house. No stocks and shares. No Life insurance.No car.

Having calmed down a bit I have just realised the letter is in reply to a letter I sent in Sept and not in reply to one I then sent 2 weeks later with all my late husband's financial info included.

To say I am mad is not even near how I feel at the moment :mad:

I have copied the letter just received together with the proof of delivery and the Recorded Delivery receipt for the letter I sent with all DH's information and enclosed them in their envelope and I will be sending it back tomorrow.

I feel like writing to Egg's Chief Exec and asking if these people from "The Executor Support Team" can actually understand English.

Although, looking at the origin of the names signed at the bottom of the letters, possibly not.

And I don't care whether that is PC or not.

Edited by nuthatch

Oh thank you TheChancellor. I think I am so calm about things and then a stupid stupid CC company can blow my resolve out of the window.

In the scheme of things, they are way at the bottom of my priorities. I think it just brings it all back that my husband would not have spent his last years worrying about debt if these people had been more human.

I would write a brief letter stating

"I already have provided you with the information you demand & I will not be responding to you again"

"I would remind you that I have recently lost my husband & whilst all other creditors have been sympathetic you have not, as a result you are making a distressing situation much worse"

• Haha 1

I would write a brief letter stating

"I already have provided you with the information you demand & I will not be responding to you again"

"I would remind you that I have recently lost my husband & whilst all other creditors have been sympathetic you have not, as a result you are making a distressing situation much worse"

Well put, J.C.

well it all seems good. just need to sit and wait now to see what they say.

Yes i know its not fun but trust me u will get use to it and will find plenty of things to do with your time.

Letter from Egg today to say they have received the information about my husband's estate :rolleyes: and the contents have been noted.

The file is now in the hands of the Management Team....whoever they might be.

Told you it would reach them eventually NH.The "Management Team" are the ones on the next desk who can do joined-up writing.

Even if they can read it will be an improvement :rolleyes:

And the ability to do basic maths (when they realise that X number of creditors into £300 isn't worth the time and effort chasing it up) would deserve a round of applause :)

well lets just hope they are nice and agree to put it to zero balance.

Oh bum. This is getting so annoying.

Have had a letter about DH's debt to L********ds. It is less than £400 and if they got a pro rata share of his "estate" they would get about 25p.

I sent copies of all DH's CC statements, final 3 months bank account statement and copy of all funeral receipts and now they say they are passing the account to Phillips-Cohen Associates who will "assist me with closing the account."

Mind, it also says they are enclosing a helpful brochure offering useful info about the probate process. No brochure enclosed and I have already told them that I did not need probate as estate was worth zilch.

Wonderful bunch from what i remember