Off sick, Tattoo issues and mental health...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Basically I applied for my job and got a letter saying I was unsuccessful and that I didn’t get the job.

About a month later I receive a telephone call informing me that the job is still available if I want it I say yes (as at the time I was unemployed) then the woman on the phone said that In the interview it was noticed you have a tattoo on the back of your neck you have to have it covered.

At work I wear normal clothing I have long sleeves to cover my wrist tattoos but the one on the back of my neck was brought up by HR as an issue as it was still visible. I started wearing a scarf.

Now I go back to work next week after 4 weeks written off sick and I’m going to outright refuse to cover my neck tattoo (it’s not really visible anyway it’s not large and it is covered by hair anyway).

HR raised the issue as it would be a bad example to students (I work at a college in the offices which don’t have any student access)… However students break up for the term soon and as staff we were told that we are allowed to ‘dress casual’ when the students break up so where do I stand?

Also I am considered disabled I have depression, OCD and am currently receiving treatment for anorexia, I stopped treatment when I started work but when I got written off sick I started again the only problem is that it is a day-care programme 10am-4pm so wouldn’t be able to carry on whilst at work. Obviously being told that I have to cover up is causing me problems as I have self image problems already without being told to hide away under long sleeves and scarves.

My issues are they shouldn’t have hired me if the tattoos were that much of an issue and they can’t expect me to remain covered up when it is summer and the other staff are allowed to wear t-shirts and more casual clothing when there are no students in the college.

Do I have any options? Can I ask for Thursdays off while I go to my treatment? Can I get fired for having my tattoos showing in summer or is that considered a breach of humans rights even if it is mentioned in the contract ‘no visible tattoos or piercing’.

I wish I’d never taken this rotten job!

Edited by missemmielou

I also forgot to mention when the issue of my tattoo was raised the HR woman said I could use my first pay to get new clothes.

I started on the 19th May and didn’t get paid until the 26th June I was on benefits until I got this job so I had a small amount of money in my back account until my first payday I have rent and bills to pay on top of having to now go out and buy new clothes.

So I told her I wasn't going to get any new clothes until I got paid because it was unrealistic to assume I had money to waste on work clothes!

Edited by missemmielou

Personally - and i would emphasise this is only my opinion - although you may be within your rights to question the request HR have made, if you do make an issue of it it will obviously go on your record - so for for the moment why not use a light cotton small scarf ( which are very fashionable - and then look for a better job?

Why make things complicated? its not the end of the world - concentrate on working towards having a glowng reference for your next job then move on. Think about what you would like to do next and concentrate on that.

IMOO!

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Personally I think as you were told before you took the job that you would need to cover the tatoo then you have not choice but to do so or face dismissal.

I don't know why you mentioned anorexia as that is self inflicted and no ones fault except your own.

Personally I think as you were told before you took the job that you would need to cover the tatoo then you have not choice but to do so or face dismissal.

I don't know why you mentioned anorexia as that is self inflicted and no ones fault except your own.

Cheers! :roll:

I mentioned it because I am registered disabled under mental health and wanted to give as much information as possible, no need to get assy over it.

So overweight people who suffer heart attacks or have to have time off because of high blood pressure its noones fault but their own too?

Or if someone gets severely depressed I suppose thats their fault too for choosing to be depressed?

Anorexia can be a side-effect of depression just as ibs or headaches can be with stress.

I dont know the laws and regulations when it comes to mental health and disability, for example if I have the right to have Thursays off to go to my day-care program.

I hope someone less bitter and moronic as you replies with a genuine clear response and not an excuse to 'have-a-go' over something they clearly have no education on what so ever!

Edited by missemmielou

Personally - and i would emphasise this is only my opinion - although you may be within your rights to question the request HR have made, if you do make an issue of it it will obviously go on your record - so for for the moment why not use a light cotton small scarf ( which are very fashionable - and then look for a better job?

Why make things complicated? its not the end of the world - concentrate on working towards having a glowng reference for your next job then move on. Think about what you would like to do next and concentrate on that.

IMOO!

I'm looking for another job currently so will just stick it out like you said I'll wear a scarf and hope it doesn't get itchy!

My teenage daughter wears one all the time - rain or shine as it is fashion:D so if you have a primark near you buy a few silky ones which will not be too hot.

Hope you find another job where you are happier - and ignore the other post - it was uncalled for.

Just try not to worry about the smaller problems in life and things might slot into place.

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Sorry for the incredibly ignorant response you got, and I hope you can ignore that comment.

You are quite right to mention your anorexia as it indeed a mental health issue, but the simple answer is I don't know. If you didn't mention it before taking on the job and re-started the treatment only after getting the job and going off-sick, I'm not sure that you can expect a great deal of sympathy from them to take time off now to go to the day-care centre.

As for the tattoo, I doubt you have any grounds to refuse as it was made clear to you from the start that it had to be covered and whether reasonable or not in your eyes, it is a condition of your employment that it is covered, therefore it should be covered.

My issues are they shouldn’t have hired me if the tattoos were that much of an issue
Or you shouldn't have taken the job if keeping your tattoos not covered was that much of an issue. Sorry, but in this instance, they took you on making it clear that you had to cover up and you accepted, you can't just now say that you have changed your mind about the terms and expect them to change.

As for breach of human rights, please. :rolleyes:

If a scarf is such an issue, there's polo necks, pancake make-up, long wigs until your hair is long enough (depending on how far front your tattoo goes), but ultimately if your contract says no tattoos showing, then you need a find a way to comply or start looking elsewhere where it won't be such an issue. :oops:

All I wanted to say really is I hope you can get yourself better soon. Your health is much more important to you than your job, you managed before you got the job, so just think about your health. Like you said before, just try to get another one where you will be more happy.

Good luck.

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

Hi,

I hope you are feeling better and more settled in your job soon. I cant help with the tatto question as i really dont know the answer to that one.

but with reference to your treatment on Thursdays, you can ask your employer to allow you the time off to attend these sessions, it would be a 'reasonable adjustment' under DDA - it wouldnt neccesarily be paid time off, you woul dhave ot negotiate with your employers if they could cover you for that time, take as leave or make the time up another day, they could adjust your working hours to fit around that day.

try to get some experience behind you in this post while looking for somewhere else that may not make such an issue about the tattoo, its usually easier to find a job when you are already in one!!

good luck

Anything I post is my own opinion and views based on experience. My posts may not represent the views of my Employer, work collegues, or my Mum, i thought them up all by myself!

I am absolutely gobsmacked by this remark - never did I think someone on this site would demonstrate such utter stupidity, ignorance and insensitivity!

Such sad people making sad remarks which can only make a person feel worse!.............'anorexia is self inflicted and no ones fault except your own'.............OMG.....to any doubters I say try it, oh yeah it's such fun!

Regarding your anorexia etc I would suggest that you have a look at Consumer Health Forums

CAG deals with consumer rights. The website I have given you a link to deals with health issues, which you are obviously aware you need to address - so I think it would be benificial if you popped over there too.

I can only offer you my best wishes with your current situation. Personally I am not qualified to give you the answers that you need but I do hope that between CAG and the health forums I have linked the answers can be found :)

• Haha 1

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

U have said ur registered disabled under the mental health act. Are the empolyers aware of this? If so are they aware why u are registered.

I dont know the full ins and outs but i think that as long as u use this time for your tretment then yes they do have to allow u the time off. Also u should be covered under the DDA.

• Haha 1

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• 2 months later...
Guest BARBIE DOLL

hello

i know this is a long time ago that you posted your thread but was just reading the forum to try get some advice about things when i came accross your thread and i read the reply you got about your illness been your own fault .i just had to let you know that you have my best wishes and support. i too suffer mental illness and many years ago i suffered anorexia of which i am now better. but it is an illness

and dont let it get you down anymore than you already are. not everyone understands anorexia and mental illnesses im sure if they did they would feel really bad about saying what was said. hope everything worked out for you take care

Blimey Conniff, I thought I was the tactless one!!

That comment was really below the belt and unnecessary, you have obviously not had any close dealings with anyone with Mental Health problems.

Quite unfair.

Hammy

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Thread closed.

Rooster-UK.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks