• Tweets

• Why would you do a Freedom Of Information Request? Thats for public and government bodies only...    Either way, this is what happens in debt collection. Accounts sold as a figure on a spreadsheet loaded into a system that contact people to pay until they give in .  They never send the original agreements with pruchase. And yes, please do name names..
    • I bought a rare collectible item from a friend in USA. I paid him via Paypal and had him send it to my forwarding address in USA. This is a business called Stackry which is essentially storage lockers that consolidate packages for you and you choose how and where to ship them, thus cutting on international shipping costs. I have done this many times before and never had an issue. On this occasion, I chose the option of Global Mail Direct. The package was picked up and handed to DHL e-commerce and I was able to track it all the way to the UK. From then on, it was handed over to Evri and a new tracking number was generated. Long story short, they lost it. The driver marked it "out for delivery" then 2 hours later "returning to sender". I was at home and no attempt for delivery was made. What followed was several weeks of back and forth with Evri through chatbots, emails and phone calls trying to locate the package and have it delivered to me. They said I should contact the sender. I explained that in this scenario I am the sender and the recipient. I did not get anywhere. I emailed the CEO and joined a Facebook group. I kept screenshots of everything. At no point did they make a genuine attempt to intercept the package or locate it or at least assure me that it's on its way back to its origin in the US. For several weeks now, the tracking is simply stuck at "on its way back to sender". They owe me £200 and I intend to get it. I do not care how long it takes or how much it costs me. I am prepared to fight this to the end. I wrote them a letter before action and sent it by tracked post to their HQ giving them 14 days to make things right before I take the matter to court. It has been a week now and I have had no response.  I have no experience with legal matters and I am hoping someone can guide me into what I should do next. Thank you.
    • Thanks Dx, Tbh, I’d forgotten that this account was the subject of a charges claim - nearly 10 years ago now! I don’t know for sure that a default notice was issued by Barclays when the account was in arrears but I would guess there may have been one somewhere in 2010. A suspended repossession order was awarded around May 2010 so I’d assume that a default notice would have been a pre-requisite. Based on the info in the thread those arrears were cleared around 2014-2015 but I don’t have any more info to hand atm since it’s such a long time ago. I believe the files I prepped for court in 2015 have since been shredded. How would the presence or absence of an old default notice help with this current issue? Thanks for the merge/support. J  
    • This is the full SAR documents that I received. It includes the proof that they deliberately chose not to give me a physical PCN at the time of parking. W3 SAR documents .pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Couriers and damaged items

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4002 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there.

I sent an item by TNT a couple of days ago - it arrived today and i've been informed that the item was damaged in transit.

After speaking to TNT they tell me that unless the goods are signed for as damaged or rejected, then i dont stand a chance of getting anything back and still have to pay for the privielge of sending the goods through their service.

Are they legally able to do this?

How many times would you even think to open a package in front of the courier (especially if you are signing on behalf of another person) and inspect every aspect of it, and how many couriers would stand and wait while you do it?!

Can anyone help me out with this?

thanks

Hi,

We had a similar problem the other week - sent a large parcel (valued at £2500) with insurance.

They damaged it but claimed it had been signed for so no claim.

We found out that the driver left the parcel and forged the slip as they business they delivered to didn't open til 9am (it was 7.30am)

To cut a long story short, with a lot of persistance they paid up!

As far as I know, the signature is to confirm that the parcel had been received, but they can't say a sealed package is in good condition.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that.. the recipients girlfriend singed for the parcel, sureley it is a criminal offence to open something addressed to another person (which is essentially what they are saying the recipients girlfriend should have done). The item was reported as arriving damaged within 5 minutes of being opened.

Unfortunately, the signature had not been forged or anything, it was genuinely signed for. But i`m wondering now whether,

A) Someone other than the intended recipient should be allowed to sign for an item

B) if someone other than the recipient does sign, are they responsible for opening and checking the item?

Im really unsure as to where i stand here, though it's good to hear that they pay up with a fight

How many times would you even think to open a package in front of the courier (especially if you are signing on behalf of another person) and inspect every aspect of it, and how many couriers would stand and wait while you do it?!

You don't have to open and inspect it, you sign for it 'unchecked' and then you are covered.

Hi,

Firstly I would ask them for a copy of the delivery slip that you signed. Once in receipt check to see if there are any terms on there relating to signing is confirming that the parcel is undamaged and in good condition.

Also, I would ask for a claim form anyhow - you should be covered for about £15 per Kg.

Tom

I dont think it was even signed as unchecked, but the guy on the phone said that even if it was i still dont have a claim.

Apparantly any signature is deemed as checked an ok unless stated otherwise and the driver is under no obligation to inform the person signing of this.

They say that they will provide me with the delivery slip tomorrow and will discuss it further, but it sounds like i don't have a leg to stand on :-(

Tnt terms and conditions:

17. CLAIMS PROCEDURE

If you wish to claim for a lost, damaged or delayed shipment you must comply with the following procedure otherwise we reserve the right to reject your claim:

a) you must notify us in writing about the loss, damage or delay within 21 days after delivery of the shipment or within 21 days of the date the shipment should have been delivered and then within the next 21 days you must document your claim by sending us all relevant information about the shipment and the loss, damage or delay suffered. We are not obliged to act on any claim until our carriage charges have been paid nor are you entitled to deduct the amount of your claim from our carriage charges;

b) we will assume the shipment was delivered in good condition unless the receiver has noted any damage on our delivery record when he or she accepted the shipment. In order for us to consider a claim for damage the contents of your shipment and the original packaging must be made available to us for inspection;

c) your right to claim damages against us shall be extinguished unless an action is brought in a court of law within 2 years from the date of delivery of the shipment or from the date on which the shipment should have been delivered or from the date on which the carriage stopped.

I would say that is an unfair term

Unfair Terms

5. - (1) A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.

(2) A term shall always be regarded as not having been individually negotiated where it has been drafted in advance and the consumer has therefore not been able to influence the substance of the term.

I believe though that the contract is between the supplier and the courier.

I would get a claim in by writing (recorded) within the 21 days, disputed or not and then once that is in then you can argue the point without them saying you did not set out your claim in writing.

Tnt terms and conditions:

I would say that is an unfair term

I believe though that the contract is between the supplier and the courier.

That's a fantastic post, thank you so much, I am the supplier - i sold an item on ebay and used TNT as the courier as we use them at my office, so at the moment i need to refund the buyer, recover the item and attempt to recover my loss, all because they cannot be careful with a package :-(

The value was only £90 and brand new replacement would be around £200, the postage cost has not been billed to me as yet but i imagine around £15.

I will write to them tomorrow, thanks again for the advice

The contract term is not only unfair it is also ambiguous.

Firstly they say you have 21 days to notify damage, then they say they will assume it is undamaged if not notified at the time of delivery.

Any ambiguous contractual term is construed against the drafter (ie TNT) undre the contra proferentum rule.

But then is it really ambiguous?

It only says they will assume. They can assume all they like, it matters not one jot to the facts.

Get the letter in and if the response is unsatisfactory send a letter before the action for the full replacement cost.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

As an aside, the reason they expect you to sign for the item as 'damaged' is quite simple - if there are no visible signs of damage to the outside of the item, but the contents are damaged, then it means the internal packaging was insufficient to protect it during transit.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hey, further to the above - After they claimed it was signed for as ok we were persistant and they sent a claim form.

One thing though, isn't UTCC applicable to consumer contracts and not business contract? (I think TNT only deal with businesses nowadays) however like Bernie says, its rather ambiguous.

Our packaging was adequate (It was on the same boxing/bubble wrap that the item had come all the way from South Africa and through Heathrow airport with! But they must have dropped the end of the box which smashed the end of the item.

One annoying thing though - they agreed to pay the repair costs but not refund the shipping charge! so its ok for them to charge us to damage the package!?

Tom

Hi,

I've just had tnt on the phone, they said that the claim has been rejected because the goods were not signed as damaged.

I've asked for proof of delivery and the rejection letter to be sent to me.

This is technically a business transaction as i`m doing it through my office :-(

The company I work for deal with TNT on a daily basis. We have no end of problems with them with regard to losing consignments. Providing the claim is submitted correctly we have no problem claiming for loss but damage is a different matter. If its not signed for as 'damaged' they will not pay up. BTW-regarding loss-I heard they once lost an aeroplane:D

I'm afraid you will have an uphill struggle here.

Had you signed 'unchecked' at the point of delivery, with the courier's knowledge, then liability can still be with the carrier.

If the courier doesn't want to hang around while you check the contents then tough-either refuse the item or sign for it or tell them to wait while you check.

If you sign then you accept it. Even if it's busted up.

Why should the carrier be responsible after they have fulfilled their part, ie delivering the item?

• 4 years later...

hi, I arranged collection from an ebay seller and it was damaged in transit. the carrier has said because it wasnt flat packed as per t's and c's i have no rights to claim, mya rguement is that they shouldnt have collected it if it wasnt packaged correctly and the fault is theirs, any dieas if i'm fighting a losing battle?