• Tweets

• The only way to verify whether there is any financial reward for the management is seeing the agreement. That would be required during disclosure IF court proceedings went ahead... Unless you could bring pressure to bear and get a copy?
    • god they've got at you haven't they. told you all the usual utter BS. a CCJ vanishes from your credit file on it's 6th B'Day regardless to being paid off or not or paying or not. same with any debt with a registered defaulted date - it vanishes from your file on the DN's 6th B'day regardless. creditfix are Knightsbridge, (they renamed) there are 100's of threads here on Knightsbridge, if i remember rightly 2 of the directors of a certain very big IVA provider were struck off for embezzling £1m's out of debtors. pers i'd stop paying now.  end of . just ignore them all. 99% of your debts are to utterly powerless DCA's and probably were never owed in the first place only goes to firm up my belief from post one..you got had blind. its very easy to deal with the debts even those with CCJ's. can you copy and paste what you credit file says regarding the IVA please?   
    • The airline says it is investigating reports that customers can view other passengers' personal information.View the full article
    • They are finding new ways to cut back on household spending as China’s economy loses steam.View the full article
    • Sorry I meant credit fix - I really wish I'd known this before - kicking myself right now  If they come back to me asking for more money I'll cancel it and start trying to deal with the debt myself let's see what they say  Feeling tempted to cancel it now but scared that some of the debts will do more CCJ's on me and I'll have to wait 6 years again.  2 of the CCJ come of this year and then I'll only have the iva in credit file - effectively if I'd have not took out the iva in 2021 I'd have clear score by now - but then again would I because I would have been hounded the last 3 years, as bad as it is it's saves me lots of headaches whilst my debt was still within the 6 year mark.  I think most of them are near there but in all honesty no point chasing them if I do cancel iva I'd jjst wait for the ones who contact me and then start the relevant letter process on them.  Of over 6 years easy if not still possible to write off. My true victory would be having the iva wiped off my credit file as mis sold or something that way I Don't have to wait till 2027 Other option is to fight back and ask for them to offer the creditors to accept payments so far and use the following method    Will your IVA firm agree to complete your IVA on the basic of funds paid to date? The Guidance lists a lot of factors to be considered in deciding whether a settlement on the basis of funds paid to date should be proposed. You should read the list. But that may not give you any feel for whether they apply to you or not. The following are my thoughts on when an IVA should be treated as settled, not failed. They assume that you have £75 or less to pay a month: if you would currently qualify for a Debt Relief Order, then your IVA should be settled now  There is no point in making your IVA fail and you have to apply for a DRO – it will not generate another penny for your creditors. If you are renting and owe less than £50,000, check the DRO criteria now and talk to National Debtline on 0808 808 4000 about whether you qualify. You may have been told at the start of your IVA that you aren’t eligible – still check now as the DRO criteria have changed, your situation has got worse, and some people were given incorrect information about DROs at the start. if you have no assets that would be realised in bankruptcy (eg a house with equity, car worth over £2000), then your IVA should be settled now Same as (1), there is no point in making you apply for bankruptcy after your IVA fails. if your only asset is a car that is worth less than £8000, then your IVA should be settled now A car that is worth say £5000 would normally be sold in bankruptcy and you would be given a small amount to buy a cheaper car. But your creditors would not get any benefit from this as the Insolvency Service takes the first £8000 raised to cover its own costs. if you have significant assets, the closer you are to the end of the IVA, the less reasonable it is to fail it If you have been paying your IVA for 4 years, you have done your best over a long period. It isn’t your fault you can no longer continue. The fact you may have had equity to release isn’t relevant as that simply isn’t going to be possible. if your situation will clearly improve soon, then it’s unlikely your IVA will be settled I mean real improvements, not hoping that prices fall. If I can get them to accept payment to date or threaten with cancellation hopefully they may accept it -  Other option is to try and borrow money and pay make a full and final offer  Or I can just ignore and hope for the best which I'm very tempted to do especially if they respond to my review with bullying tactics despite me being skint as a fart with no mortgage as renting  It's so stressful but I've just checked the iva agreement from 2021 and it's Cabot 2 accounts Lowell about 5 accounts and then lots of repeats of the same debt with for example zopa and Cabot same amount listed twice -  also loyyds banks but I'm sure that's older than 6 years and not on credit file anyway  If I can somehow remove the iva from my credit file I'd be happy 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5714 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am really worried now, I'm a single parent and I have been having trouble with baliff for my council tax. When they first came round I gave them £500 and asked for a repayment plan they agreed but then when I paid the first installment was told that it wasn't enough and I had to send my wage slips to them. I ended up agreeing to £35 a month (which I couldn't afford) I made a couple of payments but I couldn't keep them up the collection agency were really unhelpful and said they would be coming to remove goods. I wrote to the council and begged them to take the debt back as the collection agency were being really unhelpful and I was feeling threatened by baliffs knocking my door all week. The council answered and said basically no. I wrote back to the council and enclosed a cheque for £5 I told them I would be able to make £5 a week payments from my chld benefit they haven't answered yet but yesterday I got a final warning from the collection agency that said if I don't make the full payment now they can have me arrested or force me to go bankrupt and lose my house.

I'm really scared. what I need to know is:

Do they really have the power to ask the court for that or are they just trying to frighten me? and

Is making the £5 a week payments to the council the right thing to do?

Also will I get some kind of court notice or will police just turn up and carry me off?

Please help

Thank you

Edited by blahblah1

Hi there, firstly let me put your mind at rest - they are making threats simply to scare you into paying, they cannot have you arrested and they cannot force you to go bankrupt or lose your home.

Who is the Bailiff company ? Have you ever allowed them into your home?

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Don't let them in to your home under any circumstances. Refuse to answer the door otherwise they may try to push past you & claim peaceful entry. Tell them you will call the police if they persist. If the Police do arrive don't let them invite the debt collector into your home

Write down a chronological order of events & post here

I forgot to add they keep saying they will be removing the cars that are parked infront of my house.

I'm not too concerned about this threat as the cars do not belong to me I don't have a car. I don't even have a license. The only thing is I don't think my neighbours would be too pleased with me if their cars were taken away.

Good Grief!

What a load of rubbish they are talking.

As Ellenn says, it is all scare tactics.

I had the misfortune to deal with with these amateurs once and it it got to the point where one of the bailiffs was arrested to prevent a breach of the peace.

Thay cannot simply "have you arrested" or take away random cars from the vicinity of your property.

If you keep an eye on this forum someone should be along who will be able to check whether the bailiff dealing is in fact registered.

Don't panic, don't sign anything and don't allow any of them access to your home, for any reason.

I would recommend in light of their behaviour that you contact the Council and INSIST that the debt is taken back and agree a payment plan directly with them.

Good luck.

You've had good advice from the forum. These bailiffs cannot have you arrested as they have no such authority. Indeed not even the council can have you arrested without a court warrant. For that to happen you will given notice of a court hearing by your council first. If that takes place (and you can talk to your council beforehand and maybe come to an arrangement) you will have every chance to state your case and then still come to some arrangement, this time with the court's approval.

However, it isn't the council that is currently threatening an arrest, it is a bailiff. The chances are that the council will not even know about this bailiff's threat. Don't be frightened to speak to the council and tell them about these threats as they may be as appalled as you are.

There are only two reasons that allow for any arrest over council tax 1) Refusal to pay council tax and 2)Willful negligence. You are clearly not refusing to pay and having no money is not willful negligence which in itself is devilishly hard to prove. Going to the Bahamas with the money might count. No proceedings for an arrest will even commence until the bailiffs have stopped visiting you and filed a report to the council.

So please don't worry, there is no imminent arrest. Nor do you need to worry about bankrupcty proceedings, it ain't gonna happen. The bailiff is lying to you.

My final piece of advice is for you to study any court liability order that you may have (which should have been issued before bailiffs were involved) and whatever the amount is printed on it is what you owe. No more.

You don't owe the bailiffs a penny in fees. So pay the council direct and when you reach the amount on the liability (less the £500 already paid), that's it. Job done.

Thank you so much you don't know what a relief it is to hear that! As I had heard you could be arrested for not paying Council Tax I was concerned they might be telling me the truth.

Thanks again I will continue to pay the council weekly and I will write to them again today with all the details about the baliff.

This is a fab forum :)

Let them assume all they like about the cars. ;) Don't argue about them not being yours, ................ then watch the fun ........ TWOC (taking without owners consent) theft, criminal damage, neighbours threatening them with physical harm etc

Also if you can record their calls you'll have proof positive of their unlawful & illegal threats to use when you report them

Do you have the balliffs name? If you do PM tomtubby with it and ask for him to check to see if the balliff is certified.

Don't wait for the council to confirm £5 is ok, just keep paying it til the next round. Come back and let us know of any developments.

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

What what you have written here it would appear that most of the dealings with this company have been by telephone , is that correct?

It is VITAL that everything is put in WRITING and this letter should advise the company that you will not allow a bailiff into your home and that you do not own a car. You also need to ensure that you ask for confirmation that the charges made are at most £42.50 if two visits have taken place or just £24.50 if one visit.

If they cannot get any more that £5 per week and will not be able to levy on goods then they will very likely return the debt back to the council as Nulla Bono (Nil effects).

There is a template letter on our Bailiff Advice website which I will send over to you which MUST be sent by both e-mail and registered post.

Thanks there is no name on the letter just a signature that could say anything really! Yeah it's over the phone. I will start recording the conversations.

I will also carry on paying the £5

I did write to them asking for a list of the fees they have charged me with and they never replied but I know it is more then £42.50 because they have been round at least 6 times and every time the bill goes up.

They are also charging for every car that they list as one to be removed which so far is aabout 4 different cars belonging to my neighbours

Hi.. You are doing fine, but you must continue to be strong for now.

I know these thugs are ruthless, but they can be stood up to.

In hindsight, and for anybody else reading, giving them £500 was probably not the best thing to do as its just given them the belief that you can find another £500.

There are a couple of letters here you might want to adapt and print off.

You also need confirmation from the council that your payments are in fact going towards your arrears, and not this years accounts.

:_Letter_for_Council_Tax_Bailiff_at_Your_Door

: Vunerable situations (single parent) Scroll down page.

Asking them for information is like asking them to forget your bill (:o).

You must force them, by law, to provide the information.

If nothing else it will show you are serious about their blatant, fraudulent, overcharging.

(God they make me angry)

Sent this letter as soon as you can afford the £10.

Bailiffs:_Subject_Access_Request

The one most important thing to remember at this stage is, as advised,

NEVER let them in.

NEVER sign anything you are not sure of.

• Haha 1

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

Something else I was wondering is about this whole thing with once they have been in once they can break in the next time. I have never let them in but I have 2 doors on the front of my house. The first door leads to a kind of lean too and my second door is to the main house. If they came onto the lean too would they then be able to say they are inside and then be able to legally break into the main house?

I'm asking this because the first door isn't the most secure and if not closed properly can come open very easily. The door inside is a strong front door.

blah not necessarily If they didn't tell you that they where doing a 'walking possession' & had you sign something they cannot then gain forced entry just because you let them in last time.

However the bad news is chances are they will lie if it suits them

I am really worried now, I'm a single parent and I have been having trouble with baliff for my council tax.

Are you entitled to benefits or help with council tax? Get this explored straight away by calling the benefits enquiry line on 01772 238141 and tax credits helpline on 0845 608 6000

Is the amount of tax being demanded accurate?

When they first came round I gave them £500 and asked for a repayment plan they agreed but then when I paid the first installment was told that it wasn't enough and I had to send my wage slips to them.

So they reneged on a previous agreement?

I ended up agreeing to £35 a month (which I couldn't afford) I made a couple of payments but I couldn't keep them up the collection agency were really unhelpful and said they would be coming to remove goods. I wrote to the council and begged them to take the debt back as the collection agency were being really unhelpful and I was feeling threatened by baliffs knocking my door all week. The council answered and said basically no.

The council is uncoperative, so you can make a Stage 1 complaint and maybe a Stage 2 and go to the Local Government Ombudsman and ask for compensation.

I wrote back to the council and enclosed a cheque for £5 I told them I would be able to make £5 a week payments from my chld benefit they haven't answered yet but yesterday I got a final warning from the collection agency that said if I don't make the full payment now they can have me arrested or force me to go bankrupt and lose my house.

Not allowed. This is called obtaining a money transfer by abuse of position. They are also misrepresenting their authority by claiming to have a power to have you arrested and sent to prison.

I'm really scared. what I need to know is:

Do they really have the power to ask the court for that or are they just trying to frighten me? and

No. Its the council that applies for a committal order - not the bailiffs.

Is making the £5 a week payments to the council the right thing to do?

Yes.

Also will I get some kind of court notice or will police just turn up and carry me off?

Please help

Thank you

The police wont get involved in collecting council tax unless a committal order has been applied by the council (lengthy process) and that's only done if a debtor willfully neglects to pay council tax - very rare.

Phone the council and ask for a written breakdown of the council tax arrears, then without telling them, make an official complaint in writing to the council...

Name of Council

Council tax department

Address 1

Address 2

Address 3

Address 4

[DATE]

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: [YOUR NAME & ANY REF]: Visit by your bailiff on [DATE] Formal Complaint Stage 1

I have had an opportunity to seek advice and I write on the understanding that Case Law has ruled an Authority is liable for its bailiffs.

On [DATE] I was visited by your bailiff and I paid him £500 and agreed a repayment plan of £35 a week, which was more than I could afford as I am a working single parent with young children. The bailiff reneged on this agreement and asked for my wage slips which I then provided.

On [DATE] I tried to reach an amicable resolve with the bailiffs but they became vexatious in nature. They threatened me by saying I would be 'arrested' and be sent to 'prison' and make me 'bankrupt' if I failed to pay a debt according to his deadline. I understand the bailiff commits an offence under Section 4 of the Fraud Act 2006 for obtaining a money transfer by misrepresenting his legal authority.

On [DATE] I asked you (the council) to take the case back from the bailiffs because I had already making regular payments to clear council tax arrears, and the council declined.

I now ask the council to:

a) Accept my original offer to pay £5 a week to clear the arrears from my child benefit

b) Pay me a reasonable compensation for my inconvenience and for my efforts in seeking discovery of information and

c) Receiving a bailiff acting for you who make threats against me in the meaning of Section 17 of the Criminal Justice Act 1999

If you fail to satisfactorily complete the above I will automatically escalate the complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman in fourteen days from the date of this letter.

This letter is delivered by Royal Mail and I deem it to be served on you by the ordinary course of post in the meaning of Section 7 of the Interpretation Act 1978. It is your responsibility and in your own interests this letter is handed to the relevant person within your organisation.

Yours Sincerely

[NAME]

Make a formal complaint against the bailiff: Download Form 4 from the HM Court service website: http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/form4_0606.pdf and under 'Details of Complaint' enter:

On [DATE] I was visited by a bailiff Mr [NAME] from [FIRM] collecting unpaid council tax. I paid him £500 and agreed a repayment plan of £35 a week (which was more than I could afford as I am a single parent with [NUMBER OF] young children). The bailiff reneged on this agreement and asked for my wage slips which I then provided.

On [DATE] I tried to reach an amicable resolve with the bailiffs but they became vexatious in nature. The bailiff threatened me by saying I would be 'arrested' and sent to 'prison' and make me 'bankrupt' if I failed to pay the debt according to his deadline.

I understand the bailiff committed an offence under Section 17 of the Criminal Justice Act 1999 by threatening me with prison and bankruptcy, and Section 4 of the Fraud Act 2006 for obtaining a money transfer by making a false statement as to his legal authority.

I respectfully ask for reasonable compensation for my inconvenience, trouble and stress in dealing with the bailiff’s behaviour for my efforts in seeking discovery of information.

As there is a criminal element to this matter, you should report the offences to police.

[NAME OF] police Station

To whom it may concern

Address line 1

Address line 2

Address line 3

Postcode

[DATE]

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Reporting a bailiff for committing criminal offences

I am a working single parent and on [DATE] I was visited by a certificated bailiff [NAME OF BAILIFF(S)] of [NAME OF BAILIFF FIRM] on [DATE] enforcing payment of unpaid council tax for [NAME OF] council.

I paid the bailiff £500 and agreed a repayment plan of £35 a week (which was more than I could afford). The bailiff reneged on this agreement and asked for my wage slips which I then provided.

On [DATE] I tried to reach an amicable resolve with the bailiffs but they became vexatious in nature. The bailiff threatened me by saying I would be 'arrested' and sent to 'prison' and make me 'bankrupt' if I failed to pay the debt according to his deadline.

I understand the bailiff committed an offence under Section 17 of the Criminal Justice Act 1999 because he threatened to send me to prison and make me bankrupt if I fail to pay according to his deadline. I also understand he committed offences under Section 4 of the Fraud Act 2006 for obtaining a money transfer by making a false statement (misreprestation) as to his legal authority by saying he has a power to send me to prison.

I ask the police to fully investigate the offences and advise me of the crime number and make a detailed report to the Crown Prosecution Service. Please contact me on [NUMBER] to arrange for me to make a statement to be given in evidence.

Yours Faithfully

[NAME]

• Haha 2

First to fly the Airbus A380

And don't pay the bailifs "fees" - look at it like this you should get compensation for how you've been treated so - its' called equitable set off - take their lawful fees off what they owe you in compensation

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

I get a 25% discount for being a single person but I was told I'm not entitled to council tax benefit.

When I first gave the £500 it was to the the guy that actually visited I borrowed it from my parents because he said that was the only way I could start a repayment plan I didn't have anything in writing just what he agreed with me on the doorstep.

Thanks for the draft letters am on them as soon as I finish typing this.

How do I make a stage one complaint? Aren't the council within their rights to refuse to take the debt back? That is basically what the letter from them said.

How do I make a stage one complaint?

By sending the above letter.

Aren't the council within their rights to refuse to take the debt back? That is basically what the letter from them said.

Yes & it's Council's discretion whether they take back a debt from the bailiff. In your case they declined, and afforded by conduct of their bailiff you're now asking the council to pay you reasonable compensation.

First to fly the Airbus A380

The council can technically refuse to take it back BUT if you don't let the bailiffs in, don't sign anything and make regular payments to the council - tell the council that the payments are in respect of council tax only - the council CANNOT refuse to accept the money. At some point the bailiff will get fed up and return the warrant to the council. Because you will have been paying the council direct there then isn't a lot else the council can do. You just keep paying them direct.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

In that case don't worry about it - just send the same letter, that is -please find enclosed my cheque for £x. This is in respect of council tax arrears only every month with the cheque - (you technically don't need to just sending a cheque with account details is enough - but it doesn't hurt to be extra careful) - and try not to worry too much

• Haha 1