• Tweets

• There's no facility for a settlement "out of court" as such. But matters that are started under the "Single Justice" (SJ) Procedure can often be concluded without the defendant appearing. The SJ procedure, as the name suggests, involves a single magistrate, sitting in an office with a legal advisor, dealing with matters "on papers" only. Nobody else can attend. The SJ deals with straightforward guilty pleas. Anything where the SJ believes the defendant should appear, or which should be dealt with by the "ordinary" court are adjourned o a hearing in the normal magistrates'  court .As well as this, all defendants have the right to a hearing in the normal court if they wish. Nobody is forced to have their case heard under he SJP.  In particular, as far as traffic matters go, a SJ will not disqualify a driver and if a ban is to be considered, the case will be passed over to the normal court. Because, following your SD, you will be pleading Not Guilty (and offering the "deal"), your case would usually be heard in the normal court, meaning a personal appearance. To be honest, performing your SD at the court is a more straightforward way of doing things. It avoids any possible hitches involved in serving he SD on the court. But of course, as I said, most courts have backlogs which mean an SD may not be quickly accommodated. If you do end up doing your SD before a solicitor, check with them the protocol for serving it on the court. Do let us know what the solicitor says about Wednesday.    
    • Welcome to posting on CAG cabot, people will be along soon to help you try to sort this out. Please complete this:  
    • Quotes of the day penny mordaunt came out swinging with her broadsword, and promptly decapitated sunak while Nigel Farage, representing Reform UK, made contentious claims about immigration policies, which were swiftly fact-checked during the debate.   Good question though raised at labour about the 2 child benefit cap, which I broadly agree with, but the tory 'trap' assumes tory thinking - rather than child centric thinking. There should be no incentives to have kids as a financial way of life paid for by everyone else ... ... BUT the kids should not be made to suffer for the decisions of their parents Free school meals would feed the kids, improve their ability to learn, and incentivise them to go to school. As an added benefit ... it would invest in our nations future.   How far this should go is a matter for costing, social intent and future path of the nation, but not feeding our nations kids is an abomination. There should be at least one free school meal per day for every child who attends school. Full Stop. Its the cheapest and most effective investment in our future we could make.
    • Hey people, I've been browsing this amazing forum for the past year and recieved a letter today which has made me require some help. Received a claim form from Cabot in the Civil National Business Centre in regards to an Aqua Credit Card taken out in 2018. I failed to make payments due to financial hardship and have not taken out any credit or uses any forms of credit since. Received a lot of letters from Cabot and their solicitors Mortimer Clarke which I've ignored    By an agreement between New Day Ltd RE Aqua& the Defendant on or around 26/03/2018 ('ths Agreement) New Day Ltd RE Aqua agreed to issue Defendant with a credit card. The Defendant failed to make the minimum payments due. The Agreement was terminated following the service of a default notice. The Agreement was assigned to the named Claimant. Cabot Credit Management Group Limited, acting as servicing agent of the named Claimant through its Appointed Representative (Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited), has arranged for these proceedings to be issued in the name of the Claimant. The named Claimant may be entitled to claim interest under the Agreement but does not seek such interest and instead claims interest under Section 69(1) of the County Courts Act 1984 at 8% p.a.from03/03/2023 until date of issue only, or alternatively such interest as the Court thinks fit THE NAMED CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 1. 3800.82 2. INTEREST OF 379.84 3. Costs How would I go about this and what could happen? I don't remember much details about the card either.
    • cause like you said in post one, 99% of people think these are FINES (it now reads charge). and wet themselves and cough up. they are not, they are speculative invoices because the driver supposedly broke some imaginary contract by driving onto privately owned land which said owner may or may not have signed some 99% fake contract with a private parking co years ago, thats already expired or has not been renewed or annually paid to employ them dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Can Lloyds do this please help!!

dolfos
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6494 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Please help my husband has an IVA set up due to business and personal debts of approx 100k he has been paying this through a insolvencey practioner for the last five months without a problem. He has a personal account with Lloyds TSB.

One of his creditors was Lloyds TSB card services who owed 2000UKP approx however they agreed to the IVA and have been getting their proportion of the monthly payment.

Recently however my husbands uncle died and his daughter who also has a lloyds account had to pay the funeral director however she has no cheque book. She was worried about drawing out the cash and was told she would have to pay a sum to do a bank transfer. My husband was with her at the time and said to help she could transfer the money to his account which LLoyds stated would be free and then my husband gave her a cheque for the amount transferred to pay the funeral director.

Today howver we had a letter from LLoyds to state the cheque has been returned due to refer to draw. Not understanding this my husband called the bank today and has been told that LLoyds card services has taken the money from his account and transferred it to his credit card account. The girl he spoke to said this wasn't her department and the department he needed to speak to was shut at weekends but she said the bank had every right to do this!!!

The funeral has now not been paid for and the money has gone and it wasn't even his money!

Can anyone help or give any advise on this I am in shock and still can not believe what they have done.

17th august 06-claimed back 725.00 from HSBC in full (personal account)

28th august -just added up over 19,000 in business charges with husbands HSBC account! ABOUT TO START PROCESS OF RECLAIMING MONIES.

Hi, sorry I don't know enough to advise you on how to proceed, although I think this is very underhanded and a sickening example of a banks greed!!

Possibly copy your post to the "General" section of the "The Bank Action Group" board.

I am sure that someone will be able to advise what you can do......

"If you owe the bank 100 pounds, you're the one with the problem. But if you owe a million pounds, the bank's the one with the problem."

Lord John Maynard First Baron Keynes of Tilton.

"If you owe the bank $100, that's your problem; if you owe the bank $100 million, that's the bank's problem".

John Paul Getty

Hi Please help my husband has an IVA set up due to business and personal debts of approx 100k he has been paying this through a insolvencey practioner for the last five months without a problem. He has a personal account with Lloyds TSB.

One of his creditors was Lloyds TSB card services who owed 2000UKP approx however they agreed to the IVA and have been getting their proportion of the monthly payment.

Recently however my husbands uncle died and his daughter who also has a lloyds account had to pay the funeral director however she has no cheque book. She was worried about drawing out the cash and was told she would have to pay a sum to do a bank transfer. My husband was with her at the time and said to help she could transfer the money to his account which LLoyds stated would be free and then my husband gave her a cheque for the amount transferred to pay the funeral director.

Today howver we had a letter from LLoyds to state the cheque has been returned due to refer to draw. Not understanding this my husband called the bank today and has been told that LLoyds card services has taken the money from his account and transferred it to his credit card account. The girl he spoke to said this wasn't her department and the department he needed to speak to was shut at weekends but she said the bank had every right to do this!!!

The funeral has now not been paid for and the money has gone and it wasn't even his money!

Can anyone help or give any advise on this I am in shock and still can not believe what they have done.

28th august -just added up over 19,000 in business charges with husbands HSBC account! ABOUT TO START PROCESS OF RECLAIMING MONIES.

Hi, sorry I don't know enough to advise you on how to proceed, although I think this is very underhanded and a sickening example of a banks greed!!

Possibly copy your post to the "General" section of the "The Bank Action Group" board.

I am sure that someone will be able to advise what you can do......

Hi thanks for this I will do as you have suggested and hopefor the best. thanks for taking time to advise.:)

This is crazy and cannot believe how banks can keep doing this. Whether you owe them money or not they should have to follow proceedures to claim money from you just like you have to do with them or anyone else. Why does the law say they can do this? please can someone post the actual stance on this in what part of law says that they can do this offsetting. I keep seeing it everywhere i go and just cause there is money in the account shouldnt allow them to just pinch it.

If the money was with another bank they wouldnt be able to go to that bank and say this person owes me soo much so i am just coming to get it. The bank would say sorry you better show me that the owner of the account has authorised this. This should still be the same even if you have two accounts with the same bank. They are two seperate accounts as you sign two seperate contracts and therefore should surely be monitored independantly.

If you find this info useful please click on the scales in the bottom left corner of the thread :wink:

Vodafone To Remove Default Notices thread

Paid In Full HSBC Was Claiming £3851.42 But Instead of Paying Me Decided to pay my £4900 Loan OffDG Solictors. Need Help

Concluded Lloyds TSB 27/05/2006 Action Against LloydsTSB

Concluded Lloyds TSB for Girlfriend. 27/05/2006

Paid In Full Capital One £160 Settled

Paid In Full Capital One Sent 15/05/06 for £1372 for Girlfriend

Paid In Full Cetelem £130 Settled

Paid In Full The AA £400 Settled

Paid In Full First National £160 Settled

PDA LloydsTsb Credit Card Hand Delivered 26/04/06 £180

I have just been through LloydsTsb terms and conditions and there is no mention there regarding Offset or Offsetting of any sort and if this is the case and it is not in a contract that you have with them then they cannot do it no?

I found this searching the internet. Can someone breakdown the meaning of what it says?

Offset Against Other Funds Banking institutions are allowed to set off against deposit accounts any charges owed to the bank where the bank has provided adequate notice of this right to the customer. The customer should also be provided with a reason for the offset when it occurs. Set-offs are not permitted for accounts receiving direct deposits of social security funds. In addition, banks are prevented from offsetting funds from a line of credit account unless the customer specifically authorizes this activity.

If you find this info useful please click on the scales in the bottom left corner of the thread :wink:

Paid In Full HSBC Was Claiming £3851.42 But Instead of Paying Me Decided to pay my £4900 Loan OffDG Solictors. Need Help

I do know that Lloyds can take money from a current account to pay off outstanding amounts on a credit card. They've done it to me many times, usually at the most inconveient times too. However, the fact you have set up an IVA and payments would have been agreed must surely stop them doing this? I'm no expert but this does all sound very underhand.

I am sorry to hear of your predicament and I imagine your embarassment in front of

your niece.

First thing is to get on to Lloyds and inform them that the money was not yours

for them to take. £1000 in , £1000 out, was a facilty to help your niece at a

bad time for her. [i am not going to make a comment on the advisibility of your

husband making the offer in view of the situation with the bank].

On top of that, you have an arrangement to repay the debt, so the bank has no

right to take that money. If they had any sense of shame, they would refund

the money straight away.

As they don't have any sense at all, they might not play ball. Then speak to your

IVA and ask them what their take is on the position.

IF Lloyds still do not refund the money, Citizens Advice should point you in the right direction. Or if either you or your husband has AA or RAC membership, they have

free legal advice departments.

It shouldn' t get to Court since Lloyds have no entitlement to that money, but

they may push you down the road a fair way.

Lloyds do have a compliance unit which monitors bank action. If you can get in touch with them and explain the circumstances, it might save time.

Please let us know how it is going.

What a mess !

Unfortunately, all the banks see is cash....... you owe...we take.

It is easy to say in hindsight that it would have been better to have contacted the bank, beforehand to explain what was happening, and to get their OK.

The only suggestion that I can make is that you contact the bank as soon as possible and explain what has happened... that you were doing someone a favour to facilitate the payment of funeral expenses as she did not have a bank account. Also that the money was not and is not yours and was merely in transit.

Emphasise the distress that this has caused and ask that they please return the money so that it can be paid to the funeral directors.

You may required copies of invoices/bills as proof.

I sincerely hope that you are able to resolve this quickly and I wish you the best of luck.

Please let us know how you get on.

• Confused 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hello dolfos.

Proof, if it were needed, that the bank’s only consideration is the maximising of profit. They care not a jot for us or our problems.

As lookinforinfo says, we feel for your husband in his excruciating situation.

With the benefit of hindsight it would have been better to have told the bank in advance and sought their agreement to the transfer (but we’re all geniuses with hindsight, aren’t we?).

I think that your husband has a duty to tell his IP at the first opportunity. There is a risk that the IP will criticise him, whilst understanding his motives. But he might well be able to bring some influence to bear on the bank due to the existence of the IVA. There may well be special rules pertaining to the IVA which the bank are expected to work to and which the IP, from his authoritative position, could bring to bear on the bank.

Take lookinforinfo’s advice and seek free professional assistance, it can only add to your knowledge and lead you to the right course of action.

If all else fails you might consider publicity. This is exactly the sort of story that the media like to get their teeth into. Banks in general and LTSB in particular have had a bad press lately and won’t want any more ‘manure sprayed on their walls’. It’s not an easy option because of the personal and social implications, but it might do the trick.

We’ll all be rooting for you.

Elsinore

I can't see how they can off set when my husband and them agreed through the terms of the IVA. As far as I know they actually voted for the IVA. We have had no notice of them doing this and like I said the money deposited isn't ours.

Thanks for advice, Still trying to digest what they have done do know what we are gonna tell the family if they find!!!

I have sent the bank a letter in the last weeks regardingrefunding their bank charges do you think this is there way of retaliation?

Surely by doing this they are going against the agreement between them and the other creditors by taking this money. Wages have previously been going into the account and they haven't touched it I just can't think of any other reason they could have done it apparently they said something about due to the account being overdrawn. if this was the case it would only have been due to bank charges they have applied. They are also now charging for this cheque which they returned(payment for funeral) due to them taking the available funds! Everytime I think aboout it I get more and more angry!

Thankyou all so much for you advice and support:) . He will be speaking to the IP first thing Monday I will not be letting them get away with it. I thinking of ways todraw this to light as we have penalised by the banks this last year something cronnick. I didn't mention We have also this last couple of weeks started to try and get refunded bank charges from Lloyds TSB and I think this is retalliation. They now want to charge for the cheque returned for funeral costs due to them taking the money. I can't believe this is possible.

My husband believe me has had me ranting at him telling him how he should have let her deal with her own problem her own way but he is just too generous and just wanted to help her out.

I never in a million years thought they would stoop this low. Previously wages have been paid into this account and they haven't touched it that's what makes me think this is a retalliation for the refunding of bank charges request.

I will go the press if I need to I and my family have fought tooth and nail to avoidmy husband going banckrupt and sometimes i wonder why! We felt guilty and although knew we couldn't pay back all the money thought the IVA showed we were atleast genuine in wanting to do what we could. Fool on us!!! We have had to pay for the IVA and have also been paying a monthly contribution i don't want us to give up now but it is so tiring fighting all the time and really puts a strain on rleationships! how can they keep doing this to people. I am really pleased you guys are pro actively trying to do something.

Thanks for all advice :)

I am sure that if an agreement has been reached regarding paying a monthly ammount to them under an IVA that they shouldnt be able to touch any more of your money, but as i say i am sure that someone more qualified would be able to clear this up. What i suggest is monday morning ring the company who you arranged the IVA with and ask them can they take extra money just like this.

Dolfos,

If there is a current agreement in place with creditors to pay a set amount to them each month, then no they should not be able to debit the account without authority. Although this has been said already, your best bet is to contact the company that the IVA and get them onto Lloyds. It would seem for the most part, Lloyds are a law unto them selves. Generally though, you would need to read the terms of the IVA agreement to see if they are able to deduct money as they wish.

DJ Tazzz

The information I provide in replies on this site are drawn from this site and a few other external sources. I acknowledge all parties the information maybe drawn from and offer my advice and assistance freely without guarantee and risk of liability.

Three threads merged - please do not duplicate posts

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi Sorry bout three thread thing I was really desperate to get help. Thanks for all response.

Quick update, today my husband has spoken to LLoyds in person and got know where they didn't want to know a thing and couldn't give a toss!

He then went to his IVA insolvencey practioner who was livid!

Apparently Lloyds are NOT allowed to do this as like previously thought by you guys they have agreed to the terms of the IVA and thus can not just help themselves to any money. In order for them to have a right to do this it would not be their decision they would have to first contact our IP (insolvencey practioner) and it would be down to him to resolve the issue. Also he stated being charged bank charges causing my husband to be withdrawn by 10UKP!!! is not a valid cause to default the IVA. The IP stated Lloyds were acting unlawfully and it helps he is also a solicitor so is now about to kick some A*** at Lloyds to get the funeral money back. Apparently our IP said Lloyds do this to many people who do NOT fight to get it back because they are scared to take on the big corporate. Lloyds know they are in the wrong hence why they only verbally told my husband they are in the right (no correspondance referring to this incident has come from them). The IP believes they will say they have made a mistake when he gets to them, think how many people they do this too and how many don't fight back. I am now going after all the bank charges they put on my husbands account for the last six years. Even though this money may very well have to go into the IVA pot I'd rather all creditors got a share and greedy guts Lloyds didn't get to keep it all! Will keep updating as I go. Also Lloyds account has now been closed.

thanks again for advice.

Hi,

just an update IP contacted us to day to say Lloyds had been in touch with him and said it was a mistake and the money would be back in 7 days. If anyone has this same issue please fight them they can't get away with doing this to people. I am awaiting the charges information from them now to go after the six years of bank charges but first battle won. Thanksfor all support will keep updated on how claiming for bank charges now goes!:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/26925-business-account-over-19-a.html

PS monies for funeral costs all returned and paid direct to funeral director no apologises nothing from Lloyds!

Thanks again for all great support!

It is entirely up to you, but personally I would not accept 7 days. They took the money promptly so surely they can return it promptly. If you agree, I suggest your IP contacts Lloyds TSB 'Compliance' department (sorry I don't have direct contact details) to have it paid back into your account within hours. This has presumably caused you major embarrassment with your family at a difficult time and Lloyds TSB should recognise this fact with a sincere apology / goodwill gesture / etc.

Regards,

Bean

Lloyds TSB - 27/11/06 - £6377 paidrest with FOS

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

Lloyds TSB (MC) - 20/10/06 (BY DEF) £372

Hitachi Cap - Nov. 06 - £207

Citi Cards - 28/12//06 - £220

Monument - 23/1/07 - £889

Barclaycard (Mrs. Bean) - 19/2/07 £376

Opinions / advice of Bean are independent, informal, without prejudice, without liability, not CAG endorsed. If in doubt, ask a qualified professional.

I absolutely agree with Bean, dolfos. LTSB are earning(?) interest on your money while they have it and have been doing so since they took it. It's disgraceful of them to take seven days. You should perhaps be disappointed with your IP that he/she did not protest when LTSB suggested it. Good result though and we're pleased for you:)

Elsinore

One thing, it may be worth going to the press with this, the sun as recently as last wednesday i think, had a full page aritcle on bank charges, and they have had a lot of publiclity lately,

i think what lloyds have done to your husband is disgraceful, espically at that time,

Dolphos, that is great news. I'm so glad that the matter is being resolved.:cool:

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hi,

Thanks for all support. The seven day issue has annoyed me too and our IP has said he has told Lloyds that the money is to be transferred directly to the funeral directors account tomorrow at the latest now to resolve issue finally. Fingers crossed all over tomorrow. Thanks again for support.:)