• Tweets

• Please see my comments on your post in red
    • Thanks for your reply, I have another 3 weeks before the notice ends. I'm also concerned because the property has detoriated since I've been here due to mould, damp and rusting (which I've never seen in a property before) rusty hinges and other damage to the front door caused by damp and mould, I'm concerned they could try and charge me for damages? As long as you've documented and reported this previously you'll have a right to challenge any costs. There was no inventory when I moved in, I also didn't have to pay a deposit. Do an inventory when you move out as proof of the property's condition as you leave it. I've also been told that if I leave before a possession order is given I would be deemed intentionally homeless, is this true? If you leave, yes. However, Your local council has a legal obligation to ensure you won't be left homeless as soon as you get the notice. As stated before, you don't have to leave when the notice expires if you haven't got somewhere else to go. Just keep paying your rent as normal. Your tenancy doesn't legally end until a possession warrant is executed against you or you leave and hand the keys back. My daughter doesn't live with me, I'd likely have medical priority as I have health issues and I'm on pip etc. Contact the council and make them aware then.      
    • extension? you mean enforcement. after 6yrs its very rare for a judge to allow enforcement. it wont have been sold on, just passed around the various differing trading names the claimant uses.    
    • You believe you have cast iron evidence. However, all they’d have to do to oppose a request for summary judgment is to say “we will be putting forward our own evidence and the evidence from both parties needs to be heard and assessed by a judge” : the bar for summary judgment is set quite high! You believe they don't have evidence but that on its own doesn't mean they wouldn't try! so, its a high risk strategy that leaves you on the hook for their costs if it doesn't work. Let the usual process play out.
    • Ok, I don't necessarily want to re-open my old thread but I've seen a number of such threads with regards to CCJ's and want to ask a fairly general consensus on the subject. My original CCJ is 7 years old now and has had 2/3 owners for the debt over the years since with varying level of contact.  Up to last summer they had attempted a charging order on a shared mortgage I'm named on which I defended that action and tried to negotiate with them to the point they withdrew the charging order application pending negotiations which we never came to an agreement over.  However, after a number of communication I heard nothing back since last Autumn barring an annual generic statement early this year despite multiple messages to them since at the time.  at a loss as to why the sudden loss of response from them. Then something came through from this site at random yesterday whilst out that I can't find now with regards to CCJ's to read over again.  Now here is the thing, I get how CCJ's don't expire as such, but I've been reading through threads and Google since this morning and a little confused.  CCJ's don't expire but can be effectively statute barred after 6 years (when in my case was just before I last heard of the creditor) if they are neither enforced in that time or they apply to the court within the 6 years of issue to extend the CCJ and that after 6 years they can't really without great difficulty or explanation apply for a CCJ extension after of the original CCJ?.  Is this actually correct as I've read various sources on Google and threads that suggest there is something to this?.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Carter and split claim for shop direct 'debt'

KFC
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5584 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI, thanks for that info GodMother, it will help point us in the right direction and as to whats next.

The Judge said that we needed to prepare a proper defence, she hinted that we should just keep to facts about the Agreement exists or not.

Bit worried about just doin that, think it's better to use everything against the claim possible, what do you reckon ?

Anyway, done this defence, not sure if it's ok ?

In the Salford County Court

Claim number xxxxxxx

Betweeen,

-Claimant

And

- Defendant

Defence

1. I, xxxx of xxxxxxxxx make this statement as my defence to the claim brought by xxxxxxxxxx.

2. I do not acknowledge or recognise the debt to the Claimant.

3. No Credit Agreement exists, or has ever existed, and put the Claimant to strict proof thereof.

To date, the Claimant/Claimant’s acting solicitor, has ignored my request under the Civil Procedure Rules, and I have not received any such documentation requested.

In the absence of a signed Agreement containing the prescribed terms in schedule 6 of the the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, the Court shall not make an Enforcement Order by virtue of section 127(3)of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4. No Letter of Assignment or Letter Before Action exists, or was ever sent to me, prior to litigation proceedings being issued, and put the Claimant to strict proof thereof.

5. No Default Notice exists, as required by section 87(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974, has been attatched to the particulars of claim.

6. No documents to support the Particulars of the Claim, have been offered, nor any dates etc of the purported Agreement, or account details been stated which the defendant, which were requested, can relate to, to establish what agreement it is, that this action is based upon. The defendant puts the claimant to strict proof thereof.

7. No correspondence from the Claimant, Cyclone Asset Management Ltd, has ever been delivered to me whatsoever, and put the Claimant to strict proof thereof.

8. The Claimant’s, Consumer Credit Licence expired December 2006, and must not carry out activities of this type, and they may be subject to prosecution for doing so, as it is a criminal offence. (see received email from office of fair trading – [email protected]) The word ‘must’ , makes it clear, that, no variation is acceptable, therefore, it cannot be dispensed with, as a De Minimus issue.

9. The Claimant, Cyclone Asset Management, does not exist in BT directory enquiries and is not contactable, Bryan Carter’s & Co Solicitors (acting on behalf of the Claimant) would not help, or give any information to allow contacting the Claimant, necessary to evaluate or prove either way, the alleged claim, the right of the defendant.

Also, Bryan Carter’s & Co Solicitors, admitted, I can’t contact Cyclone Asset Management Ltd, and said that I could only have contact through them. (see telephone transcripts and telephone conversation recording on cd)

10. The Claimant’s solicitor, has claimed that, they do not know who the Claimant is, and that, they do not hold any contact details for Cyclone Asset Management Ltd, their client, and I believe that, they have deliberately mislead me, to obtain monies not due to them.

11. The Claimant’s particulars of claim are vague, insufficient, and fail to disclose any cause of action, they appear to be an abuse of the process in that they fail to deal with the basic rules of pleading in accordance with the CPR even allowing for the constraints of the bulk issue system.

12. The Claimant appears to be a debt purchaser of delinquent debts and not a money lender, the Claimant seems to contend that they are entitled to monies due under said agreement made between the defendant and the Claimant Cyclone Asset Management Ltd. The defendant has no knowledge of this company or any indebtedness to them relating to any Agreement, the defendant has not entered into any Agreement with the Claimant, or client they refer to on the claim form, and therefore should it be the Claimant’s contention that they have a claim to monies under an Agreement between the defendant and another Creditor, the defendant seeks clarification of this fact and proof of legal assignment as required by Law of Property Act 1925.

13. Without clarification of the Claimant’s claim, the defendant is extremely disadvantaged and the Claimant’s Claim appears without merit or truth.

14. I believe, the Claimant, Cyclone Asset Management Ltd, and the Claimant’s Solicitor, Bryan Carter’s & Co, their conduct amounts to unlawful harassment under section 40 of The Administration of Justice Act 1970. Furthermore the Claimant’s behaviour is vexatious and wholly unreasonable.

15. Further to that above paragraphs, the defendant is unable to plead effectively or at all. The defendant is embarrassed.

16. Alternatively, if the Court decides, not to strike out the Claimant’s case, it is respectfully requested, that the Court, Order’s, full disclosure of the requested documents, compliant to the regulations, pursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules, for the avoidance of any doubt. Without production of the requested documents, the case can not be dealt with justly and fairly, and will severely prejudice my rights to a fair trial.

17. If necessary, the defendant seeks permission upon clarification of the Claimant’s case and disclosure of the necessary documents to amend this defence.

18. Consequently, I deny all the allegations on the particulars of the claim number XXXXXX, an do not know what case I have to answer.

Statement of Truth

I Miss xx xxxxxxx, believe the above statement to be true and factual to the best of my knowledge.

Signed .....................

I left out the part about - ' splitting the claim ' as they have not broken the rules, until they bring another claim.

I need to get moving on this quickly, so, do you, or anyone else have any corrections, or any more ideas ?

Many Thanks.

HI, thanks for that info GodMother, it will help point us in the right direction and as to whats next.

The Judge said that we needed to prepare a proper defence, she hinted that we should just keep to facts about the Agreement exists or not.

Bit worried about just doin that, think it's better to use everything against the claim possible, what do you reckon ?

Anyway, done this defence, not sure if it's ok ?

In the Salford County Court

Claim number xxxxxxx

Betweeen,

-Claimant

And

- Defendant

Defence

1. I, xxxx of xxxxxxxxx make this statement as my defence to the claim brought by xxxxxxxxxx.

2. I do not acknowledge or recognise the debt to the Claimant.

3. No Credit Agreement exists, or has ever existed, and put the Claimant to strict proof thereof.

To date, the Claimant/Claimant’s acting solicitor, has ignored my request under the Civil Procedure Rules, and I have not received any such documentation requested. On date XX XX XX i sent the CPR. Signed for on XXXXXXXXX by claimants solicitors.

In the absence of a signed Agreement containing the prescribed terms in schedule 6 of the the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, the Court shall not make an Enforcement Order by virtue of section 127(3)of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4. No Letter of Assignment or Letter Before Action exists, or was ever sent to me, prior to litigation proceedings being issued, and put the Claimant to strict proof thereof.

5. No Default Notice exists, as required by section 87(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974, has been attatched to the particulars of claim.

6. No documents to support the Particulars of the Claim, have been offered, nor any dates etc of the purported Agreement, or account details been stated which the defendant, which were requested, can relate to, to establish what agreement it is, that this action is based upon. The defendant puts the claimant to strict proof thereof.

7. No correspondence from the Claimant, Cyclone Asset Management Ltd, has ever been delivered to me whatsoever, and put the Claimant to strict proof thereof.

8. The Claimant’s, Consumer Credit Licence expired December 2006, and must not carry out activities of this type, and they may be subject to prosecution for doing so, as it is a criminal offence. (see received email from office of fair trading – [email protected]) The word ‘must’ , makes it clear, that, no variation is acceptable, therefore, it cannot be dispensed with, as a De Minimus issue.

9. The Claimant, Cyclone Asset Management, does not exist in BT directory enquiries and is not contactable, Bryan Carter’s & Co Solicitors (acting on behalf of the Claimant) would not help, or give any information to allow contacting the Claimant, necessary to evaluate or prove either way, the alleged claim, the right of the defendant.

Also, Bryan Carter’s & Co Solicitors, admitted, I can’t contact Cyclone Asset Management Ltd, and said that I could only have contact through them. (see telephone transcripts and telephone conversation recording on cd)

10. The Claimant’s solicitor, has claimed that, they do not know who the Claimant is, and that, they do not hold any contact details for Cyclone Asset Management Ltd, their client, and I believe that, they have deliberately mislead me, to obtain monies not due to them.

11. The Claimant’s particulars of claim are vague, insufficient, and fail to disclose any cause of action, they appear to be an abuse of the process in that they fail to deal with the basic rules of pleading in accordance with the CPR even allowing for the constraints of the bulk issue system.

12. The Claimant appears to be a debt purchaser of delinquent debts and not a money lender, the Claimant seems to contend that they are entitled to monies due under said agreement made between the defendant and the Claimant Cyclone Asset Management Ltd. The defendant has no knowledge of this company or any indebtedness to them relating to any Agreement, the defendant has not entered into any Agreement with the Claimant, or client they refer to on the claim form, and therefore should it be the Claimant’s contention that they have a claim to monies under an Agreement between the defendant and another Creditor, the defendant seeks clarification of this fact and proof of legal assignment as required by Law of Property Act 1925.

13. Without clarification of the Claimant’s claim, the defendant is extremely disadvantaged and the Claimant’s Claim appears without merit or truth.

14. I believe, the Claimant, Cyclone Asset Management Ltd, and the Claimant’s Solicitor, Bryan Carter’s & Co, their conduct amounts to unlawful harassment under section 40 of The Administration of Justice Act 1970. Furthermore the Claimant’s behaviour is vexatious and wholly unreasonable.

15. Further to that above paragraphs, the defendant is unable to plead effectively or at all. The defendant is embarrassed.

16. Alternatively, if the Court decides, not to strike out the Claimant’s case, it is respectfully requested, that the Court, Order’s, full disclosure of the requested documents, compliant to the regulations, pursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules, for the avoidance of any doubt. Without production of the requested documents, the case can not be dealt with justly and fairly, and will severely prejudice my rights to a fair trial.

17. If necessary, the defendant seeks permission upon clarification of the Claimant’s case and disclosure of the necessary documents to amend this defence.

18. Consequently, I deny all the allegations on the particulars of the claim number XXXXXX, an do not know what case I have to answer.

Statement of Truth

I Miss xx xxxxxxx, believe the above statement to be true and factual to the best of my knowledge.

Signed .....................

I left out the part about - ' splitting the claim ' as they have not broken the rules, until they bring another claim.

I need to get moving on this quickly, so, do you, or anyone else have any corrections, or any more ideas ?

Many Thanks.

just maybe what i have added in red would be appropriate.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Yes, that would be better, I was thinking of editing, in red, to -

- To date, the Claimant/Claimant's acting solicitor, have ignored my request, under Civil Procedure Rules, and I have not received any such documentation requested, both verbally and in the Civil Procedure Rules Request letter dated XX XX XX, signed for on xx xx xx by the Claimant's solicitors.

As these documents are not forthcoming, it is noted, that the Claimant/Claimant's solicitor are trying to frustrare proceedings.

Also,

17. If necessary, the defendant seeks permission to amend this defence, if, upon clarification of the Claimant’s case and disclosure of the necessary documents, as these documents are unavailable to me, at this present time. In due fairness, these documents withheld are essential to adequately investigate this claim.

Should I attach copies of the evidence, such as letters, transcripts, Royal Mail receipts, emails, etc and a List of the Evidence, supplied ?

Do I just send this to the Court now ?

Edited by KFC

Hi,

I am no expert however we have / are in this situation. When responding to the defence we sent in two copies of the evidence which was just the basic letters not recorded recepts, i think they only want to know what you sent / received. I could be wrong in all of this. I did send two copies so they could send to Bryan Carter to see what we had against them but we had used most of this to get judgement set aside.

We were then given uptill the 12th september to sort this out ourselves before court precedings were made, we have not heard anything and still unsure as to what we owe cannot do any more. The agreement they sent down does not appear to have an account attached to us although the company involved had and agreed a settlement payment...Paid.

Hopefully we have heard the last.

Whatever happens if the court contacts you respond to them, even if BC say they have ended the claim ensure this is notified to you by the courts.

Really good luck, try not to worry to much (easier said then done) but so many people are in your situation and are helping one another.

Yes, that would be better, I was thinking of editing, in red, to -

- To date, the Claimant/Claimant's acting solicitor, have ignored my request, under Civil Procedure Rules, and I have not received any such documentation requested, both verbally and in the Civil Procedure Rules Request letter dated XX XX XX, signed for on xx xx xx by the Claimant's solicitors.

As these documents are not forthcoming, it is noted, that the Claimant/Claimant's solicitor are trying to frustrare proceedings.

Also,

17. If necessary, the defendant seeks permission to amend this defence, if, upon clarification of the Claimant’s case and disclosure of the necessary documents, as these documents are unavailable to me, at this present time. In due fairness, these documents withheld are essential to adequately investigate this claim.

Should I attach copies of the evidence, such as letters, transcripts, Royal Mail receipts, emails, etc and a List of the Evidence, supplied ?

Do I just send this to the Court now ?

rite your edits in red are fine just send it before the time frame is up.

Now re the evidence, letters, etc do not send them to the courts these will be part of the bundle of info u need to send in later.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Been a bit busy with this making sure defence etc is all ok.

Tay, hope all goes well, thanks for your support, hopefully you put Bryan Carters in their place and counter claim them for wated costs, with a wasted costs order and claim all your expenses back.:-D Good Luck to You.

Thank you God Mother, your info was correct, but we only just received correspondence from the Court today September 25.

icon14.gif Just as you said, the Court has sent a General form of Judgment or Order, saying, it is Ordered that,

(1) Judgment be set aside. (2) The defendant do by September 23 file and serve on the Claimant a defence.

Notice, this was received 2 days after,

Anyway, the defence was delivered before september 23, by special delivery on September 22 and signed for, signature copy as proof.

icon3.gif Because the Court, was so slow at communicating,, I think that we should phone the Court tomorrow, asking them if anything else has been requested of us, ie, any evidence etc, and if or when a hearing date will be set, just in case, to be on safe side !

Keep you posted.

yes maybe it is a good idea. U must remember now ppl are more aware of there rights the courts are becomming snowed under with claims.

If you ring them advise them that the order had taken longer to arrive and as a result if u had not been at the courts then you would not have been aware of this. I would also advise that you not moaning would just like to know if anything esle has been done which u have not been made aware of.

Thank you KFC, as we have not heard anything i am going to contact the court and ask what is happening to find out how to proceed.

Sorry about saying send evidence in it was my mistake i was slightly ahead, there is so much into this at least people on here know what they are talking about.

hi,

Phoned the Court, and they said they were 2 weeks behind, and that they would send everything out in due course, they did.

:) We got (1) Notice that a Defence has been filed and (2) Allocation Questionnaire.

But,

Next Day, received a Notice of Discontinuance from Bryan Carters, I'm a bit suspicious though !

The wording seems strange and they say they have sent a copy to the Northampton Court, when it says the Local Court on the top.

icon4.gifBryan Carters, might be trying to hoodwink us,, so that we just think, thats it,, discontinued etc. when it's not, so we do nothing and we mess up.

So, either going to check with the Court, (but they might not give a reliable answer) or probably best, just to send, to the Court, a copy of it with a cover letter attached, to play it safe !

The Allocation Questionnaire, came through the post at the same time from the Court, so, I think we should fill it in and attach the Notice of Discontinuance/Bryan Carter Letter aswell, so the Court has all the right paperwork and cant say they not got the Allocation Questionnaire, failing to send it in time will make us loose etc. If they got all the paperwork, then the Court can decide.

What you think ?

rite on mondaay mornng u need to speak to northampton courts and say u have recieved something that claimst be a notice of discontuiance from the Claimant , BC but the same time u recieved a AQ from the courts could they plese advise you if they have had ca notice of discouiance from BC like BC have claimed?

if not do they want u to fill the AQ in and send a copy of the notice u got from BC or just the Notice u got from BC?

Dont trust carters they've tried this trick before, unless the court have the notice of discontinuance make sure you file the AQ in time.

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

thats y i advised that u contact the courts

Dont trust carters they've tried this trick before, unless the court have the notice of discontinuance make sure you file the AQ in time.

We fell foul to that type of letter please continue until the COURT say otherwise.

We have had the stay extended so i don't think BC will drop so easy.

Surprise !

Thought it was just a trick at first.

Because the cover letter from Bryan Carters said - Notice of Discontinuance sent to Northampton County Court, phoned them first.

They said, they not dealing with it, so spoke to the Local County Court, they said that they had received notification from Bryan Carters, and that, the case is finished with !

Nearly time to get the Champagne out ! 36_1_21.gif

4_15_3.gifSo, how do I go about Counter Claiming them or making a claim for Wasted Costs ?

( I was thinking of about £150- £200 ! )

Do I just fill in a court claim form, and pay the fee ?

nice one.

i would advise u write a letter asking for ur costs and see what they say.

Have you done anything to recover any costs? Just wondering how it was going. We now also have the letter of discontinuance will check with court later to see if they have received it.

To anyone else in this situation keep fighting. More success stories everyday.

I have sent a letter to the Court, asking them to confirm the status of the claim in writing so there can be no mix up, along with a fully completed Allocation Questionnaire before the deadline date, just in case, and stated that I would be happy to continue with the defence if needed.

Also asking, to advise about recovering Wasted Costs, and the time allowed for payment to be made.

Enclosed was a list of costs incurred, with a breakdown of each individual amounts, a quote from the Supreme Court Costs Office Guide 2006 showing the hourly rate allowed as £9.25 under CPD section 52.4 from the H M Courts Service website and brief copies of evidence to proove costs.

Also a copy of Bryan Carters cover letter and a copy of what claims to be a Notice of Discontinuance that was sent through the post.

So we are just waiting for a reply.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Still not heard anything concerning recovery of wasted costs.

So, I was thinking of sending a bill to Bryan Carters, complete with a breakdown of expenses and costs.

If they don't reply after a short time, then I was thinking of sending them a Reminder and a WARNING, explaining that if payment is not received by xx/xx/xx date, then a court order will be made against them.

The only problem with this, (if I am right), is that if it goes to trial, then it would be held in their local court, which would mean a lot of travel expense and time, can these expenses also be added to Bryan Carter's bill ?

Or should I do this in some other way ?

Just subbing as I'm just waiting on a letter from the benefits agency stating I'm on Income Support before I try and get a Bryan Carter CCJ set aside.

Well done on your success!

TheKat1979 - Taking Control!

Taking on -

Barclaycard via HFO - daft application form sent

Barclays Current Account - at AQ stage - fingers crossed asked for Hardship

Egg - various issues! Are about to default me on a disputed debt!

Bryan Carter CCJ set aside - looks to have been set aside without a trip to court! WOO!

Hi thekat1979,

As you probably already know, it's all a bit scary to start with, but with the help on here, advice when you get stuck or just not sure about something, plenty to read too, other people's stories give an idea of what to expect.

Links for the Court Forms & info/advice :-

Ex160A - Court fee Remission/concession -

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/ex160a_e.pdf

N244 advice/form -

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n244(cc)_0499.pdf

N244 form -

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n244_e.pdf

(1) You need to have a good story/argument, that stands up to criticism, and fill out n244 form. Explain briefly key points on Part A, then go into more detail in part C, explaining evidence you have. (you don't need to send any evidence at this stage)

(2) Send fully completed n244 form along with payment or ex160a form, complete with evidence of benefits (less than 1 month old). You sent to the Court where the Judgment was made against you.(Probably Northampton County Court)

(3) You then get notice from the court :- 'Notice of Transfer of Proceedings', the case is then transferred to you Local County Court (because you are an individual not a Company)

(4) Then you should receive a - 'Notice of Hearing Application' :- This gives you the date and time of hearing.

(5) At the Hearing to set aside - keep strictly to your story/arguement, the judge, (probably a deputy judge) will try to find any 'holes' in your story/argument.

They will ask questions to trip you up, they will try to make you admit to things, be careful, if you admit, then its Game Over!

As long as you deny it, don't recognize it, don't know what it's about, or other, etc. it should be ok - the claimant probably wont turn up, unless they are local.

(6) The judge should then set aside, if the grounds for obtaining a CCJ in the first place were flawed. You will be then asked to submit a defence within 14 days.

(7) Send your Defence to the court.

(8) Next you should receive a - 'General Form of Judgment or Order', this a note from court to advise the status of case and the date by which your defence has to be received by the court.

(9) Then you should receive an - Allocation Questionnaire, a form for the judge to decide the direction of the case, usually small claims track. The form also suggests Mediation, the National Mediation Service tries to sort out disputes out of court and to try to come to some sort of agreement without going through the courts. To be rid of this case, if your argument is justified, it's best to stick to your guns and fight it in court, all the way !

(10) By this stage Carters had given up and sent a Notice of Discontinuance, it unlikely that the claimant would fight further, some do, and you would get a hearing date from the court. I've not got past this stage yet, but presume it would just be as before and argue your defence to the judge after the claimant has put their case against you first.

Allocation questionnaire info :-

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/files/form_n149_information.pdf

N149 Allocation Questionnaire form :-

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n149.pdf

EX307 Allocation info :-

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/ex307.pdf

If it is set aside, then it just goes back to the beginning, they can still try to make a claim against you, make sure you keep all paperwork somewhere safe for the next 6 years, jus in case they try again.

If you get it set aside, then they wont be likely to try again as their case is flawed in first place.

Good Luck

Edited by KFC
correction/tidy up

• 1 month later...

I too have had dealings with them. They have taken £45.00 from my account on a few occasions, without permission, and phoned me the other day at work, saying if I don't come to an arrangement, they would contact my HR department and get the money direct from them (Its in their rules). I agreed £10.00 a month, and they still took £45.00 out of my account. Where do you stand legally?

They cannot get money directly from your HR department without a Court Order. If you only agreed to pay a tenner and they took more I would contact your bank. Cancel the DD now and if you must pay them do it by standing order

cca them stop paying them now and make sure u get everything in writing.

Dont listen to there we will go to ur HR depo lies then cant do that due to the DPA and without a court order they are likely to stay away from the courts as they seem to have lost a few cases and had to pay out compo due to it.