• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5031 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is of course the 'intriguing' twists to all this if we get everything back. I can imagine the CRA's and DCA's probably making potential fortunes. I can also imagine the financial institutions with their automatic systems not quite geared up for reversal information as that's always done manually investing more so they can be automatically reveresed - Probably hive that all off to some 3rd world country. Of course the consequential claims by consumers on things they were refused because of CRA's (false entries). The time to come will be most interesting to say the least. Maybe if we are lucky, see images of banking management groups crying with their heads bowed in shame - well we can always live in the world of wish.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Is there a rabbit off?

I've had new T&C's from LTSB, Halifax and NatWest come through this week?

Beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning? ;)

I can't really see what's changed, but they are good at hiding the changes by not highlighting them - then I don't have time to read 30-odd pages of small print, do I, which is part of the original problem!

Is there a rabbit off?

I can't really see what's changed, but they are good at hiding the changes by not highlighting them - then I don't have time to read 30-odd pages of small print, do I, which is part of the original problem!

aint that the truth :-D

I've had Barclaycard and HSBC new ones, Barclaycard refer to some sort of payment regulations for EU made payments in Euros and blah blah blah :-D

Filed for future use of course....

S.

Is there a rabbit off?

Any chance of a copy of one of them. I'm happy to wade through. :|

I'd love to have a glimpse of the legal bills so far too!

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Is there a rabbit off?

Payment Services Directive is coming into force which is why the whole stuff is being sent out ;)

Link to FSA page about it: http://www.fsa.gov.uk/Pages/About/What/International/psd/

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

viewpost.gif

Is there a rabbit off?

Beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning? :wink:

Payment Services Directive is coming into force which is why the whole stuff is being sent out ;)

Link to FSA page about it:

Payment Services Directive

You can bet your life that the new conditions are to their benefit. Even if it says charges are reduced to 50p, they will have wangled it so you end up paying more each month.

RBS and Natwest have just reduced their charges to £5...

Yay, I was first! Remember that! :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8242144.stm

RBS-NatWest slash overdraft fees

_46335588_007665159-1.jpg The new Supreme Court will rule on overdraft fees later this autumn

Banking group RBS-NatWest - majority owned by the taxpayer - has broken ranks with the rest of the industry and decided to slash its overdraft charges. The move comes ahead of a decision of the new Supreme Court on whether or not the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) can regulate these charges.

From 1 October, RBS and NatWest customers will be charged only £5 for having a cheque bounced, down from £38.

The fee for paying an item on an overdrawn account falls in half to £15.

"This is good news for customers, not least because the fees for unarranged borrowing have been an area of ongoing concern for them," said the chief executive of the bank's UK operations, Brian Hartzer.

"As we look ahead there are many issues to consider, but we thought it was time to move this particular customer concern forward by cutting our charges.

"As it relates to past charges we are awaiting the outcome of the industry-wide bank charges test case ," he added

RBS and Natwest have just reduced their charges to £5...

Yay, I was first! Remember that! :D

haha well done newshound :-D

Call me cynical but is it beyond the realms or realism that they all reduce their charges from here on in but past charges are given an amnesty?

S.

Call me cynical too but I love the bit, 'Between them, the RBS and NatWest have 12.5 million current account holders, of whom only a minority go overdrawn without permission each year'. Erm to me even the £15 is an excessive charge.

Having seen some IMHO 'cunning' schemes from say Barclay's with their 'Reserve' accounts and others with their 'Daily Charge' overdrafts one wonders how many people are employed within banks t think up the Governments equivelant of 'Stealth Taxes'?

What amused me from the Halifax site was, 'Following further hearings, the Court also decided that HBOS’ and Lloyds TSB’s historic terms and conditions can’t be penalties, but like the banks’ current charges they can be assessed for fairness'. Deliberate wording to confuse as I see it.

Michael

I have just written a blog on the Birmingham Post website in response to the RBS/NatWest decision and a provocative new definition of 'Free Banking'.

Fellow CAG-ers piled in with great comments on a blog on bank charges I did there earlier this year and promoted here.

Comments would be great! You don't need to register to comment.

You'll find it here:

http://blogs.birminghampost.net/busi...please-ho.html

Hope you agree with me. By the way, I'm happy still to call them penalty charges - if it walks like a duck .....etc.

John Clancy

• Haha 1

I have just written a blog on the Birmingham Post website in response to the RBS/NatWest decision and a provocative new definition of 'Free Banking'.

Fellow CAG-ers piled in with great comments on a blog on bank charges I did there earlier this year and promoted here.

Comments would be great! You don't need to register to comment.

You'll find it here:

http://blogs.birminghampost.net/busi...please-ho.html

Hope you agree with me. By the way, I'm happy still to call them penalty charges - if it walks like a duck .....etc.

John Clancy

Well that's a good link to a 'quality' blog. How would the banks react to it? 'Water off a ducks back' I'd say but there you go. - Banks = power and the consumer = lucky peasant (unless they have substantial funds)!

Bear in mind that the higher up the service level / pecking order you are also decides on who calls you and from what country! LOL I'm sadly in the Malaysian/Indian/Phillipines level these days.

Michael

Thanks, Michael.

Of course I don't really give a stuff what the Banks themselves think. It's a provocative and rhetorical piece but is designed to give the consumer some rhetorical ammo. We have to stop ordinary consumers being lulled into bankerspeak.

Caggers are already well in the know about these things, but as we all know non-cagger consumers are surprisingly ready to adopt 'banker speak'. "It was my fault, I shouldn't have set that direct debit up, shouldn't have written that cheque. They do look after my money very well. I love their debit card. Do you know they give me 2% interest on my current account?; I never used to get that. Free banking will end if we stop the bank charges....etc"

Wittgenstein tells us that the words we use define our experience of the world itself and change it (er...I think so, anyway).

You sometimes have to change the words of the debate to change the debate to change things.

John

JC, Well put

If caught driving three times over the alcohol limit, it is hardly a defence to say that you thought you were only twice over the limit.

Good analogy

They remain exorbitant and unlawful

Partly confirmed by their own QC

Don't care if OFT set a fiver - I'll still go after them until they 'fess up to actual cost, THEN, I suppose, I retire.

See I got demoted - must have peeed someone off!

Edited by kennyh
late observation

You're absolutely right, kennyh.

Mind you, I think we should assert that the actual cost is nothing.

If there's no money in the account, the direct debit and the cheque are simply not paid. They are only creating manual interventions and letters in order to make the charge and make a profit. That's the only motivation.

By definition the intervention and the letter must cost them very little because they wouldn't make a profit otherwise. Why would the bank do anything except in order to make a profit? Take out the manual intervention and physical letter and it costs nothing. Automated e-mails could deal with the matter. We could opt in to have a manual intervention and letter (at cost price - less than £2, or the even just the price of the stamp/franking!) We know it's a moneyspinner dressed up in lily-livered lies.

If I go to my online account and try to pay out when there's no money in the account, it doesn't cost me anything. Do they try to charge me for trying to do that? Perhaps we better not give them ideas. In reality, on the basis of their historical arguments for charging, they ought to. Shouldn't a flashing blue alert go off in the bank HQ when I try to pay a bill online when there's no money in my account, so someone can come and have a look, power up a computer and write me a letter that they have to walk to the post room with?

I say we don't retire until it is accepted legally and otherwise that it costs them nothing!

John Clancy

Edited by jclancy
later thought

I understand that a cheque is treated like cash there (there's no such thing as a cheque guarantee card there - just ID). However it's a criminal offence in France to write a cheque when there's no money in the account to cover it!

You can also choose to have all debit transactions from your card (carte bleue -CB) to come out at the end of the month or on a specific date, as I understand it, though not for cash withdrawals. Now wouldn't that help financial planning? Er...perhaps not.

In reality I think overdrafts do not exist in France. They are effectively illegal.

I think Its all a blatent con from the RBS group and a smokescreen.

£5 for a bounced cheque, down from £38, who nare they kidding.

Who uses cheques these days, most retailers have stopped accepting them.

The only cheques I have written over the past 12 months have been to relatives, ie birthday money etc.. you are hardley going to bounce a cheque to them are you.

The banks know the foregoing, hence the drop to £5...