Help, where to begin, council tax benefit and more

Fuzzgin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5840 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry, this may be long and rambling. I'll try not to, but I'm a bit at the end of my tether today.....

I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which means that my energy levels are unpredictable at best. There are loads of other symptoms but I work part time and live alone.

My job is part time, usually one day per week but I can get a lot of extra hours on top of that and can refuse them if they are too much. I'm still getting to know my limits and trying to stop myself from doing too much and saying "yes I'll work"when exhausted, really the job is perfect in many ways but the income varies from £270 per month to £700 per month. Not a lot and hard to budget. I get round it by living on the good months and saving for te bad ones.

When I started this I went to CAB and asked for advice about benefits, they said I might be entitled to some CT benefit (already got the discount for living alone). It took 2 attempts and a year's worth of pay slips and my total council bill is now £65 pcm. As you can see it's a huge portion of my monthly income and I tried to get my place rebanded but fell at the 6 month hurdle. Even with the help of my MP. (My flat is a 1 bedroom shoebox. 3-5 bedroom houses share my band.)

I just got a reminder (you know 7 days or action) for council tax. I took my eye off the ball and thought that it was due with my next payslip. Last month's pay was at the low end and I'm now at the £10 till payday with a week to go stage. I'm at my wit's end. I know if I phone them they'll come to some arrangement (done it before) They are human, but I can't live like this any more. Does anyone have any ideas on benefits that I might be entitled to or another way to get them to reconsider the banding. The stress of this is making me worse and now there's the 10p tax rate and I wonder why I work at all.

Sorry, rant over. Any advice appreciated, bearing in mind that I do want to work, and I can reduce the hours but it's a condition of my job that I do some overtime so I can't do my one day a week and refuse more. (Also like my colleagues too much to mess them about.) The benefits seem to take maximum possible earnings into consideration not my basic pay and this is my problem. I can't reapply each month.

Poor you - you're having a tough time, aren't you?

I would suggest contacting these people: Dial UK - Disability Information, Disability Rights, Disability Policy who will be able to get you in contact with local organisations who can help you with benefits you may be entitled to.

I know it may sound strange, but have you though of contacting social services? They are there to help and may be able to assist you with some form of benefits or arrangements with the council.

• Haha 1

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Cheers Tiglet.

My problem is always convincing myself that I'm entitled to help. When a government body says, tough luck, it's hard to bounce back. Particularly as some of the time I'm fine. Maybe falling asleep at work is a big clue that I'm not.

I believe it is - help is there because you are entitled to it - I suggested social services because they are best placed to assist you.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuzz

Is thge £65 per month based on your lowest monthly wage, highest monthly wage or an average of both?

Morgan Stanley

**Won 31.01.07 with CCI**

Capital One

**Won 19.04.07 with CCI**

Halifax current & Joint

Verbal S.A.R 11.01.07, stats recd 18.01.07

Halifax Visa prelim sent 26.01.07. Reply 31.01.07 Filed N1 on 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs

GE Capital

Frazercard Prelim sent with CCI 27.01.07

Burtons Prelim sent with CCI 22.01.07

RBOS Visa S.A.R sent 12.01.07

Partners JJB card (Creation) *Won* with part interest - 15.02.07

Partners LLOYDS Account S.A.R 13.12.06 - stats recd 30.01.07. Prelim sent with CCI 01.02.07

Partners BOS Mastercard Offered all charges except £12. Refused. N1 filed 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs

Based on approximately one year's worth of pay slips, so an average, I think, the council awarded me £244 of benefit per year on a council tax bill (including water charges) of £1371.

My total council tax bill is based on my shoebox sized one bedroom flat being in band C. I tried to appeal but just got a lot of arrogance back. Even my MP tried but it didn't work.

I also get the 25% discount for living alone and a water/wastewater discount (not sure why) of about £80 per year.

Fuzz, it may be better for you if you had your benefit assessed on your actual payslips at the time (either weekly or monthly depending on how you get paid) that way...if you dont earn much one month, you will get more benefit so not as much to find.

If you dont have any joy with the local authority you can contact the Valuation Office yourself about it as they make the decision anyway.

Morgan Stanley

**Won 31.01.07 with CCI**

Capital One

**Won 19.04.07 with CCI**

Halifax current & Joint

Verbal S.A.R 11.01.07, stats recd 18.01.07

Halifax Visa prelim sent 26.01.07. Reply 31.01.07 Filed N1 on 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs

GE Capital

Frazercard Prelim sent with CCI 27.01.07

Burtons Prelim sent with CCI 22.01.07

RBOS Visa S.A.R sent 12.01.07

Partners JJB card (Creation) *Won* with part interest - 15.02.07

Partners LLOYDS Account S.A.R 13.12.06 - stats recd 30.01.07. Prelim sent with CCI 01.02.07

Partners BOS Mastercard Offered all charges except £12. Refused. N1 filed 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs