Car & Van Rentals parked outside my house

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5850 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone know if it's illegal for a commercial LGV to be parked outside my house?

I have a few vehicles parked outside my house all the time (belonging to a local car and van rental firm). These vehicles are not being rented. They are just parked by the Rental firm who do not seem to have sufficient private grounds of their own to park on.

Although they are not blocking any access to my house, or creating an obstruction it has become unsightly on my street to have all these cars and vans that clearly belong to this car rental firm. And frankly it's annoying me a great deal.

Is there anything i can do?

Will be grateful for any advice.

No it is not illegal to park outside your house unless you have restrictive marked bays.

You could write to the council and make a complaint of nuisance though.

Keep your eye on their tax discs.

A company operating vehicles of 3.5 tonnes or more needs an operators licence which should provide details of off street parking which must be available for the vehicles. In addition there may be a planning issue concerning the use of the property they are using its unlikely they would have been granted permission to run a car hire business with no off street parking.

This site is dedicated to fighting "parking tickets" that are issued by a PPC when we park on land that is privately owned, and we consider it a [problem] when the landowner tries to take action against us and cries of "unenforceable" are heard. However when a legitimate company has vehicles that are (assumedley) MoT'd taxed, insured and are street legal, has the audacity to park on the public highway outside the house of a member of CAG (causing no obstruction) suddenly hypocrisy comes into play.

• Haha 1

I think a "consumer" such as Pigley is entitled to ask whether a commercial company might be restricted by law from parking outside his house. Industrial land is separated from residential land for good reasons.

I would suggest that the OPapproaches the company first.

I think a "consumer" such as Pigley is entitled to ask whether a commercial company might be restricted by law from parking outside his house. Industrial land is separated from residential land for good reasons.

I would suggest that the OPapproaches the company first.

Quite right. I think it is a valid question. There are laws about operating a business in a residential area and on the street. There are certainly rules about selling vehicles on the roadside.

While these vehicles may be legally parked the rental company may be in breach of other laws or regulations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This site is dedicated to fighting "parking tickets" that are issued by a PPC when we park on land that is privately owned, and we consider it a [problem] when the landowner tries to take action against us and cries of "unenforceable" are heard. However when a legitimate company has vehicles that are (assumedley) MoT'd taxed, insured and are street legal, has the audacity to park on the public highway outside the house of a member of CAG (causing no obstruction) suddenly hypocrisy comes into play.

Says who!? Have you been to the OPs address or seen what the problem is? I very much doubt it! This site is for giving Consumers advice on a full range of issues not just on Parking tickets from PPCs. Whether it was lawful or not is what the OP was asking. Believe it or not some people DO find inconsiderate and illegal parking a problem and have just as much rights to advice as rude unhelpful people like yourself.

Pigley, I think you will find more sympathy on the Neighbours From Hell forum at Neighbours From Hell in Britain

However, depending on the size of the vehicles they may need lights on when parked. If the vehicles are over 3.5 tonnes, they may need an operators licence (though a vehicle hirer often doesn't 'operate' vehicles so this is unlikely).

If this was happening outside my house I would be doing whatever I could to stop it happening!

If this was happening outside my house I would be doing whatever I could to stop it happening!

So would you also support a private landowner doing whatever he could (ie clamp or ticket) to stop people parking on his own privately owned land? In the OP's case he has stated the vehicles are parked on the public highway and are causing no obstruction. Can you not see that there are double standards here?

Believe it or not some people DO find inconsiderate and illegal parking a problem and have just as much rights to advice as rude unhelpful people like yourself.

The OP stated that the vehicles were not causing an obstruction. He made no mention of the vehicles being parked illegally (I think that was your term) I don't think I was rude in my reply, just realistic. As I said, as soon as someone comes on here saying they have a PPC ticket for being parked on somebody's private property we are all up in arms and slate the PPCs. However if somebody should dare to park legally on the public highway outside a member's house creating an eyesore in the member's view, it does seem that the advice given here does change somewhat.

As they say, live by the sword, die by the sword.

Parking vehicles on a street is not only covered by parking legislation, so they may be parked illegally. It would not be legal for example for you to run a van hire business out of your house without planning permission from the Council. If you neighbour started a skip hire company and filled the streets with skip lorries 24 hours a day I doubt if you would be so understanding.

A skip lorry would require an operator's licence and a requirement for that would be an off road parking space must be designated. However if a car rental company chooses to park some of their cars in your street even though they have their own yard I cannot see where they are breaking the law. Re reading the OP,s first post they do mention LGVs. If the vehicles really are LGVs then I concede they may have a point. If the vehicles are vans however I fail to see that the company is doing wrong.