Disabled & Scared! Owe 20k to Halifax!**WON** DISCONTINUED AND WROTE OFF

HalifaxPickle!
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5526 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I really need some help and advice.

I have got myself into a right pickle with Halifax.

I owe just over 18k on a CC and 2k on a bank account (od).

I became disabled about 10 months ago and can no longer work and have a terminal illness. I contacted Halifax whom asked that I contact someone to help me with my financial in and outs. My local CAB have helped me and as I am unable to attend their office, they have delat wiht it all by post for me. They sent letters on my behalf explaining my illnesses and offer of payments etc. Halifax said that as I wasnt able to offer 1% of what I owed each month all fees and interest would still be added, but they accepted £20pm on the CC and £2pm on the overdraft. I have been making these payments without fail for the past 6 months and they have occasionally bothered me on the phone, but in all, not too bad.

This week I have received a default notice from each account stating that I need to pay the balances in full, which I dont have. I called them this morning and the lady was rude to me stating that as I am behind 6 months they will now pass it to an outside DCA. I explained me being terminally ill and she said it didnt matter and that I should continue to keep making payments to them whilst they send me to the DCA. I explained that I was worried about phonecalls and doorstep callers as I am in a wheelchair and unwell and she has placed a no call note on my account for 10 days. She said they are within their rights to call me as I have given them authority to use my home number...I havent and the CAB made this quite clear to them in their letter.

Does this mean after 10 days I will be hounded with calls? I cant cope with that. Also, what will be the process of the DCA? I have minimal money coming in and am relying on IS, DLA and Carers allowance which my partner receives-he has had to give up work too. We have a disabled daughter too. Will I have to go through the whole thing again with the DCA about my illnesses etc and get the CAB involved again?

I cant afford anymore than what Im paying ATM and even that is a stretch as we barely have enough at the end of the month.

Please advise me as I am really really worried.

Thanks

HP

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the great and welcoming comments:D

I havent asked for a CCA. The card was taken as a student CC back in 2001 with a limit of £350...this increased to £15,000 over the following 7 years. Should I wait for the DCA to contact me then ask for this?

The lady on the phone said it was BOS DCA...what are these like to deal with?

Is there a template for the CCA letter and the nuisance call one:confused: ...sorry for all the questions.

I am just finding it all quite confusing and humiliating. Up to last year, my husband and I were both working in good jobs and were able to pay the CC's every month. Foolishly we only paid minimum amounts, although we could have paid more. I suppose this teaches you, that we do not know whats around the corner. I am in my early 30's and probably wont live past my 35th birthday.

With regards to the CAB, I am in contact only via post ATM due to my illness. Should I contact them now to let them know that I am being passed to a DCA?

We have another 5 CC's between us but have no balance on any of them. We havent used the CC's for nearly a year and dont intend to do so, but would like to keep 1 or 2 for back up/internet shopping etc as I cant get out. Will we have to hand these back? They are with Capital One, BC and Skycard.

Thanks for all the super quick advice.

HP

What does the CCA letter actually mean? I have tried to look through to see if I can simplify it, but my poor brian isnt taking it in:(

I dont recall signing anything, but my memory isnt so good ATM and may well have done. Does it need their signature on it too:confused: ...as you can tell, I am confused.

Thanks

HP

x

i have read your thread again and seems strange that the Halifax are acting in this way and being so abrupt with you,if they have sent you a letter agreeing to the reduced payments shedule can you possibly post it on here ,and if you can it might be helpful if you can ring halifax and speak with the branch manager to see where this has gone wrong beleive me they are normally more sympathetic and this is what i find difficult to understand how it can have turned so ugly ,but i am only going of personal experiance and not forgetting i have been with them for over 30 years,,,i asked the question was the card/loan not on PPI insurance and also the advice you have been given on this thread has been excellent so i can only add try to contact the branch manager with your pleas for his intervention once you have explained the circumstances in full including your illness

patrickq1

No PPI on either the CC or the OD I'm afraid.

The CAB have sent off letters from my GP with regards to proof of terminal illness.

I am not trying to get out of paying as Im not that kind of person, its just that I can not afford the monthly payments they would like me to pay. My parents have offered me some money to clear the debt and a friend has suggested offering a settlement but dont know if they would do this or how to ask for one etc. They could raise some of the money but not all of it. I really dont want to accept money from my parents and would like to pay them off myself, but its going to take time which I dont really have.

HP

Hi

I am planning on sending the CCA request on Monday, so will sort the letter out over the weekend.

What is the basic procedure in dummy terms? I wait 12 days then do what etc? I am sorry for being dim but want to make sure that I know exactly what I need to do and my rights before I send the letter monday.

Thanks

HP

HP, just sit back and wait.

From a point of view of someone who used to work with 'hardship' accounts, i.e people like yourself suffering a serious/terminal illness, I would have said you have fairly good grounds in asking for a write-off. I cant believe the way Halifax have treated you - its absolutely disgusting.

As everyone said - contact the press. If people read about the disgusting way Halifax think it is acceptable to behave in a case like yours, then with any luck they will vote with their feet.

Sosumi - well said. Halifax, hang your heads in shame.

The CAb asked for the debt to be written off, but Halifax said no! That was the first thing CAB advised me to.

HP

Thanks for all the replies.

I will send the CCA letter off on Monday via Special Delivery and will keep a copy etc etc.

Could someone give me an idea of what to put into a letter to the top man of Halifax:confused: ....or even a letter that I could copy and paste as I dont have much energy ATM.

So basically, with the CCA...the gist of it as I understand it is...

(1)Send off CCA letter

(2)They have 12 + 2 days to respond enclosing the original CCA

(3)After 12+2 days if I havent received my original CCA they are in default and this account would be on hold with no further action placed untill the sort themselves out

.....then what do I do?

Do I send another letter after the 12+2 days? ....I just want to be perfectly clear in my brain IYSWIM.

Thanks

HP

Hi Again!

I am just about to print out the letter to get OH to post tomorrow. I have a few questions:

(1)I am sending to the address in Halifax..is this correct?

(2)Do I sign the letter?

(3)If I post tomorrow by SD, when will the dates be up etc?

(4)Should I use a personal cheque (from another account), or is it safer to use a PO?

Thanks in advance.

HP

Hi Again

Just to state that the letter went off today by SD. I was given a reciept which I have clipped to the copy of the letter I sent. I have also noted in the letter the ref number of the PO.

Just wondering whether the DCA which they are passing me too will be understanding if the CCA comes back ok and work out a reasonable payment plan etc? I can only afford a max of £20pcm. I have letters frommy GP stating that I am terminally ill and also the letters from the CAb which they did for me...could I send them these? Will they really harrass me as I just dont have the energy TBH? Also, will they come to my house?

I am really worried about this but obviously want to do the right thing and will pay what I can towards the debt.

I suppose I just need a little reassurance from you guys.

Thanks

HP

Hi

Just to say that my letter was received at their end this morning and is showing up on the RoyalMail website as so:)

Would I be able to get someone to come with me if this went to court as I couldnt do it by myself:???: ...I am in a wheelchair and my brain is like mush ATM:D

Thanks for all the help.

HP

Hi

I received a letter today from Halifax stating that I had been already issued with a default notice and that the Debt Recovery Dpt will now be dealing with me.

It states no further notices will be given and I am requested to call them ASAP to discuss repayment.

What do I do? This is the overdraft debt and not the CC debt for which I have requested the CCA.

Do I make an offer of payment?

Thanks

HP

YOu say in your first post that they had accepted a payment of £2.00 per month on the overdraft. You have been maintaining that havent you?. I am not sure what your next move will be on this.

If one of the more knowledgeable CAGers havent looked in a couple of hours, I will put a call out for you. :) I guess there isnt news on the CCA letter yet? x

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes I have been paying the £2pm and the next one is due on the 12th May 2008.

No news on the CCA yet:rolleyes:

Thanks

HP