Low income and pregnant - no help?

mree
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5887 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice to pass on to my friend, who's getting increasingly desperate! She's due to have her first child in May, and is on her own. She had been living with her grandma, but once the baby arrives the place will be overcrowded, and her grandma's a little old to be coping with a new baby all over again!

She went to the housing association for the area and applied for housing, but was told she wasn't a priority. Private rented accomodation is expensive, but she's desperate to be settled somewhere before her son arrives, so she's just taken on a 6-month tenancy of a small flat at £100pw. She works part-time in a sandwich shop, and gets £125pw after tax and NI.

Today she's been to the Job Centre to ask for advice on housing and council tax benefits, and has ben told she's eligible for NOTHING. She's going to have £25pw to pay bills, council tax (about £95pm), buy food, travel and baby things once she's paid her rent. This can't be right, can it? Please someone, help!

It sounds like she should be on housing and council tax benefit...I would ask the council for the forms and fill them in- she's got nothing to lose. I would have thought she could claim working tax credit - she'll need to ring the tax credit folk. Hope she gets it sorted :)

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Definitely apply for housing and council tax benefit since she is on a low wage. She may not get 100% but at that level of pay she would be eligible for some. Also she is eligible for working tax credit if she is over 25, or over 16 if she has a child. ring them to claim it on 08453003900. more info on Working Tax Credit : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

Child benefit will be payable once the baby is born at 18.80 a week. There should be a form to claim in the "bounty pack" she will get from the hospital after the baby is born.

I think that Surestart may be able to help if there is one in her area, you would have to use a search engine, but they provide all kinds of help through pregnancy and until a child is aged 5.

I have used my surestart group since getting pregnant and they have a built in CAB service which runs on a Wednesday morning, they hold all sorts of groups such as baby massage, chat morning, trips etc. But they have qualified staff who should be able to help your friend, especially with getting what she is entitled to.

Settled at 50%

Clydesdale £155. Should have been £310 charges, plus interest :( Husbands Account.

SETTLED IN FULL:

MBNA £1230. For Hubby.

Halifax £39.

RBS £342. For Hubby.

Cap One £200.

Abbey:

:D Settled in FULL April 18th 2007. £5179.83 Paid but what a long battle!

:D

COMPENSATION OF £100 ON 14/04/08 FOR CONTINUED HARASSEMENT.

She should be eligible for the sure start maternity grant £500 too once she starts claiming tax credits (as well as working tax credit if she continues to work she'll get child tax credit which is a fair amount) or any other benefit

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court