wescot credit services - debt disputed, please help!

human
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5881 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all,

i received a letter from westcot credit services on 03/01/08, claiming for british gas about an unpaid gas/electricity bill from a previous property i lived at. i phoned them to ask when the debt was from, and they told me it was for gas/electricity (i cannot remember which one..) provided up to august 2005. i moved out of the property in feb 2005, so told them that it wasnt my debt. they told me to send proof of when i moved out.

this meant contacting the letting agency of the property, which i didnt want to do (they took me to court after i had left the property for rent/'damage' - and lost!). SO INSTEAD i found a bill from british gas addressed to the property i moved into after this disputed property, which was a final bill, dated feb 2005, for the gas/electricity used at the previous property. THIS bill was not paid by me, and i got a CCJ for it, but i can prove therefore that it is a different debt. this bill was sent to me because the letting agency closed the acct on my behalf, and gave british gas my forwarding address.

still with me?

i faxed this final bill to westcott. i phoned them a few days later. they hadnt received it, or were still processing it, depending on who i spoke to. they told me that they would not call me if they dropped their demands and closed the acct, and would contact me if they stil intended to chase it...

so i didnt hear from them, and thought (hoped!) that it was all that simple and someone had been using gas/electricity in my previous property in my name somehow after i had movd out, and westcott got my faxed proof and had closed the acct.

then i got a letter from nelson guest & partners solicitors, 18/02/08, instructed by westcot, saying they may begin to carry out legal proceedings unless i respond in 7 days. i havent responded, and more than 7 days have passed.

also on phone when i was checking to see if they got my fax, they said provision of electricity/gas (cant rememeber which one) was from sometime 2003 to august 2005. i dont understand how i can have one bill (that i have the CCJ for, for elec/gas from 2003 to feb 2005) and then another bill for elec/gas from 2003 to august 2005 - unless one was for gas and one was for electricity? but i am sure they were both under one acct, (duel fuel).

so either i owe part of what they are claiming, (but not for any elec/gas used after feb 2005) or i already have a CCJ for what they are claiming and i dont owe them anything. either way, im not paying the full amount they are asking for.

what should i do?

many many thanks to anyone who can help advise me...

First of all, Stop Phoning anyone regarding this disputed debt.

Bear in mind that the DCA and their agents(solicitors) must be able to substantiate their claim. It is not for you to disprove their claims.

Key word you must take notice of in the letter is MAY begin to take action.

Ask the solicitor to susbstantiate their claim (i.e prove the debt).

I'm not an expert on this area, but I'm sure that someone else on the forum wil be able to help you out.

Struggling_Simon vs Cabot - WON

Struggling_Simon vs Abbey - WON

Struggling_Simon vs HBOS - Pending

--------------------------------------------

IF I HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Vigilantibus non dormientibus æquitas subvenit

Somper in excretia,som solem profundus variat.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Write to Nelson Guest (this is really Wescot using different notepaper) informing them that the ALLEGED debt is in dispute with Wescot and should not have been passed on whilst in dispute. Make it very clear that you have proved this debt isnt yours and are more than happy to contest any court case they may bring

Hi there,

Send a PHOTCOPY of your final Gas bill.

Don`t forget to start your letter with `Dear Morons` or `Dear Nelly's Gusset`.

Regards

N.P

If I have helped or made you laugh in any way in your hour of need, then please click my scales <<<<<<<<<< ;)

Yours sincerely,

ROFL M.Assoff

Struggling_Simon vs Cabot - WON

Struggling_Simon vs Abbey - WON

Struggling_Simon vs HBOS - Pending

--------------------------------------------

IF I HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Vigilantibus non dormientibus æquitas subvenit

Somper in excretia,som solem profundus variat.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 3 weeks later...

They have been sending me letters for the past two years. They alledge a bill of £79 from a previous address and I have sent them the "Full and Final" proof they required. They still send threat'O'grams every month or so.

It says on their latest letter that over two hundred thousand account holders are taking advantage of the payment schemes they offer. They obviously hope that I will forgot I paid this debt and will give them some money as well :eek:

Kind Regards

Bigandy

The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.