DLA refused

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5832 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently applied for DLA for my daughter, however it was refused on the grounds that she doesn't receive different care to any other child her age.

I obviously disagree, as I have another chid and so I know the level of care needed is very different.

I am not sure exactly how I filled the form in to make them think that, I think that its possible when it asked 'how many minutes does this take' i answered it as in each time, not the entire day, so it could look like thats all we do.

Am i better to re-apply in a month or so? As now I have missed the time frame to have them look at the decision again.

Also, I have been told that when filling in the form I should do it as if it was the worst she can get. Is this right? I did ask the woman at DLA, and she said er no, its the care she needs all the time. But many people have said its not.

Any advise, much appreciated

Many Thanks

Donna

DLA involves jumping through all sorts of hoops. Unfortunately you were wrongly advised, most welfare rights people would tell you to describe her worst day - this does not mean over exaggerate things but if it sometimes takes 20 minutes and other times takes 15 minutes then write 20 because that's how long it takes on a bad day, don't write 30 just to see if you'll get the award.

Also, depending on your daughters condition, it might help if you get a doctor to write a letter supporting your application to enclose with it backing up the fact that your daughter is disabled. That and keep reinforcing her problems, if there's not space for what you need to say then continue on a separate sheet and enclose that too.

It's a terrible shame you're out of time to appeal because most awards are given after an appeal but I think it's perfectly ok to reapply in a month or so. If you can take your form to CAB or Welfare Rights to fill it in as they have people who know how to word these things.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

• 2 months later...
The fact that she is not getting different treatment to other children is irrelevant, e.g she may need it and it not yet have been recognised.
Hmmm, no quite true. If the child has a condition, but that her needs are not significantly different from another child the same age, then it is unlikely that DLA would get granted at this point, even with an established diagnosis.

I know someone whose child has a form of cerebral palsy, whether the child will ever walk is unknown. At the moment, the child is still in the normal range where her not walking is not significant, so she wouldn't qualify yet. In a few months however, she will, because by then, her needs will have become significantly different from her age peer group.

Could you please tell us your childs age, and give us some information as to her diagnosis, and her needs?

Here to help!

Good with employment, disability and welfare/benefit questions :rolleyes:

Just ask!