Help needed with bank stuff

shywazz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone. Back in 2000 i had a account with the Natwest Bank. which i thought i had closed before moving away, and thought the account had no money in it nor had any monies owing. since this account did not have any o/d and was used purely for wages to go into.

June this year i received a letter from a Debt recovery company saying i owed 2 amounts of money on the closed account, one figure near 300 ponds the other over 500 pounds. and this company is acting on behalf of NW

This has come as quite a shook to myself, as i knew nothing about such monies owed, ( if it is owed ) i have e.mailed this company to halt any further letters etc, to which there have agreed a 28 day holding on any further action, allowing me time to look into this matter. Please assist me in starting the ball rolling with any enquires that i might have to make, thank you .

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, first of all have u stil got paperwork from accounts? If so use them to contact the NW and ask about the account(what was the balance when you thought you had closed it, any transactions since you last used it etc). Once you have this information explain in writing that you had moved away and thought the account had been closed. If you have not got the account details go into your neared NW and speak to an advisor, they should be able to get the details for you. Ask why there are 2 balances showing on the leter you have recieved from the company acting on their behalf. Also ask why it has taken over 5 years to make contact. Hope this is useful, let me know how you get on. Good luck

Sue

All advice is given on via personal experiences and if your still insure please seek further advice from another party;)

All advice :p is given purely from personal experiences :mad: . If you are in doubt you should always seek legal / financial advice;) .

If i have helped in any way please let me know via personal message, IM in aol or clicking on my scales :D go on you know you want to really!!

Halifax Claim

Data Protection Act: 20/06/06,

LBA: 11/07/06,

N1: 7/8/06,

Paid in full 25/8/06

Swift Claim

Data Protection Act: 5/8/06,

Request for Payment 19/8/06,

LBA 4/9/06

Sod off response with paltry offer (accepted as part payment) 22/09/06

N1 filed 25/09/06, deemed served 11/10/06

No part payment recieved to date

GMAC Claim

Data Protection Act 21/08/06

Request for Payment 11/09/06

LBA 25/09/06

N1 Filed 11/10/06, deemed served 19/10/06

Welcome

Data Protection Act 11/09/06

What date did you last have contact with the bank about this account?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi and much thanks for giving some of ur advice, sadly i have moved 3 times since 2000 when i had the account with NW, I have no paperwork with respect this account, ( going into the bank seems a good idea ) the last contact with the bank itself, was back in 2000. The 1st i heard of any monies owing was when these two letters arrived from a company acting on behalf of NW.

With work committments, i wont be going the bank till thurs, but will keep you informed. Lets hope this can sort itself out. At the moment i remain puzzlied with this matter.

Thanks Sues35 and barracad

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

Do you know when in 2000 you last had contact with them?

(i.e. was it before or after June?)

And when was the first contact with them this year?

It could be very important so please let me know as accurately as possible.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

ello Barracad

Thanks for ur posting, the last contact with the bank NW was back in March 2000 I hav'nt had any direct contact with the bank NW as yet since then, just two letters from a company acting on the banks behalf. Claiming i owe two amounts of money.?

Thanks

And was this contact after March 2006?

Hiya..

The letters arrived June 25th and dated june 20th 2006

Right then.

If you are sure about your dates and you have no contact in between, I would send a letter as follows:

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Sir/Madam

Acc/Ref No XXXXXXXXX

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

We would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

We would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that “it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

The last payment of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statue barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970”.

I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

shywazz

Hi Barracad

Thanks, just typing the letter as i send this. will let you know there response.

I was told the same from a friend, but thought NW had simply sold the supposed debt to this debt collection company. As for them seeking £266.62 and £589.11 i never had that much in my account when i had it with them. I,m guessing i,m been charged for these two letters there sent aswell. ?

Thanks alot and will let you know once i hear from them.

Chances are even if it is not statute barred, if you think you only had a couple of quid in the account the rest of the balance is made up by their unlawful charges!!

I would wait and see what the response is from that letter before taking it any further.

Hi

You really need to be posting this in the NatWest forum.

I'll move the thread there for you and you will get lots more help than you are getting here

Thank you Bankfodder

Letter posted 06/07/2006 await reply ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya... To date no response to letter i sent ? keep you posted.

Hiya hope your all enjoying the great weather?

Just to give you a up-date regarding my thread, a reply greeted me upon my arrival home today (19/06/2006) it reads ....

Dear ******

Power of Attorney: National Westminster Bank

Balance: **** May i add there have increased the figure from there last letter.

Further to your recent contact with our office and your request for further information in relation to the above account, we confirm that your account is now on hold for 28 days whilst we obtain the information required.

Yours sincerely

Collections Administration Department

This letter is excatly the same as the one pervious, again saying account on hold for 28 days, there hav'nt even menioned the letter i sent them dated 04/07/2006 so in the same postion as just under a month back?

Only thing that has changed is the supposingly debt that is owed, there balance has INCREASED since there last letter on both account figures?

Do i make contact with them again, by sending the same letter back, or shall i just wait this one out, and see what there next letter reads?

Thanks alot shywazz

I think the letter is pretty self-explanatory - they are going to provide the information you have requested and the account is on hold whilst they do this.

Thanks for getting back so soon, yep just as you say, i thought. Just have to wait now, i have looked upon my credit report/history, and nothing is showing from the bank or this collection company, so all okay on that side of things. Still little miffed that these peeps think i owe them though, but lets see what info there send when there get round to it. Again thanks and chat soon .

• 2 weeks later...

No response as yet from DCA

• 2 weeks later...

Letter from CAPQUEST about my supposingly debt owed? Wrote as there letter reads.

We can confirm we have requested this information directly from NWB however we are still awaiting a response. Your account is currantly on hold, and if any interest is been appiled this will be frozen.

We will contact you again within 28 days to adivse of the situation.

If NWB respond to us within that time period, we will contact you immediately to resolve this matter.

My thoughts>>>>> over a month since i wrote the above letter, ( see thread ) Yet just keep getting the same basic reply from them? given them well over a month to get information relating to this matter to me, without avail, there even said any interest would be frozen, so why has the figure increased 4 times since i made contact with them? it seems everytime there write to me, there bang an extra 5% on the debt, one has now gone through the £700 barrier the other now fast approaching £400, yet the sums were alot less b4.

It seems to me, there are just leaving things, and writing to me every now and then with the same letter, ( which i have kept every1 ) and increasing the debt each time, do i have to give them more time as per there request, or have i given them long enough. Hope some1 can assist with this issue, the longer there drag it out, the more i feel down. End of day, i never owed NWB and yet i'm facing all this.?

• 2 weeks later...

still awaiting further contact, oh well no news is bad news so there say lol hope every1 is ok

• 2 weeks later...

ello every1. just to up-date. last day of month and no response what so ever, seems things have come to a halt:confused:, do i make contact with them, to seek whats happening or carry on waiting? i'd perferr to see the next stage, rather than sit and get a nasty shock in 3 to 6 months when they remember me. Any ideas people. thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
:rolleyes: no response from cap quest as to the above as of this date, think they forgotten me, or i will get nasty shock in few months from them. Far contrast from when their were sending letter after letter, now NOTHING from them after letter i sent them from peep on ere, funny really. well i pop on site every day, should i hear anything i will post it ere. thanks alot to all.

I'm no expert in these matters but if it was me I would pursue the bank for confirmation that they consider the matter closed.

It's really not fair to have this hanging over your head and I think it's best to get it sorted.

Good luck with it.

:) ello all. just a up-date as to this thread, letter received 2day as below?

Following our previous correspondence, we are still endeavouring to obtain the required information from National Westminster Bank regarding your account query.

We are discussing your case with NWB personally and hope to resolve this matter very soon.

Just some thoughts if any1 could enlighten me on ?

In some of they letters, they say intrest will be frozen untill the on-going enquirys are complete , yet every time i get a letter from them, their put the amount up? even on the two that i got 2day, secondly, how long do i have to give them, it seems to be taking ages ages to sort, isn't they anything that i could write to them, to speed the process up. as for them keep putting intrest on, well it does make me laugh, as what they putting it on, since i dont owe anything in the 1st place.

I was hoping this was all going to be sorted b4 my hols next monday, but hey guess not.

:eek: