DCA problem

tiaposy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I owe some money to Direct save Telecom. I am not disputing I owe them, just the amount, which if they answered my first letter in September, would not have ended with the cancellation of services (phone/broadband). The last statement we recieved was in November and we have not had any letters since then

I wrote to them again on Wednesday but this morning I have recieved a letter from a debt collection agency. The statements I have total £430 but the DCA want £1300!! (in 1 week!)

I know I did not sign a credit agreement and have never had and terms & conditions for this. Does this mean I can write to the DCA and ask for a copy of the (non-existant) agreement. Also, the account is in dispute so surely they shouldn't have sold the debt on?

Any help much appreciated

Unfortunately, an account isn't "in dispute" just because you say it is. As this one won't be covered by the CCA Act, you need to write to the DCA (recorded delivery) asking for a breakdown of the amount that they allege to be outstanding. Do not do this over the 'phone and if they try to get hold of you by 'phone, hang up.

In writing only.

As P1 says, in writing only, almost certainly these people have added unlawful charges and will try to trick you with an unbelievable 50% reduction.

I know its difficult but don't worry about meaningless threats establish what you genuinely owe then offer to pay back at a rate you can afford.

Post up for further advice.

Should I write to DCA saying I do not acknowledge any debt to your company and try to deal with the telecom co. I did write to them twice and they never replied - no final warnings, letters etc. I think they are being a bit quick with this.

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I rang the telecoms co. who said they had recieved my letter in Sept but had done sod all with it! I have agreed amount of £350 & will be sending them a chq.

I absolutly agree with clutchigatstaws, it must say "full and final settlement".

at the minimum, make sure you write on the letter it is for payment in full and final settlement, attach the cheque to the letter, and photocopy both.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.