NPower create debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. When I moved into my new rented house I contacted NPower and attempted to create an account with them. The former tenant was with them so I decided to stay.

At first they informed me there was an outstanding bill at the address and wanted to fit a metre for me to pay. I disagreed and informed them I would not pay someone else's bill. At that time I informed them of the correct metre reading I would be paying from.

During the 6 month lease I had, I contacted them 4 or 5 times informing them I was living there, yet they kept sending bills to me in the old tenants name and would not accept my calls as I was not the account holder.

When I moved out I did not hear from NPower for another 4 months before I received a call out of the blue on my mobile. They instructed me that the final bill needed to be paid. I asked them to send it to my new address which they did, as I wanted to pay for the time I lived there and I would not steal from them.

When it arrived it was for £1085.60. I contacted them and informed them that they were wrong. It seemed to me that £180.93 per month was a little high. It also included dates before and after I lived at the property, which I also contested.

NPower informed me that they would put the account on hold whilst it was investigated. The woman on the phone even laughed because it was so high.

Then 7 days later (5/12/07) I received a letter from Westcot demanding the payment of £687.60. I contacted them and informed them that NPower had put the account on hold. They also said they would put it on hold. Again I thought £114.50 per month was still a bit high as I was mainly at work and the property was empty during the day.

On the 28th December i received another letter, this time from Buchanan Clark & Wells. They were requesting £772.18 (£128.69 per month). Again I contacted them and informed them of the account on hold - they ignored me and sent more letters.

I requested NPower send over all the bills they had for me to assess. When they arrived at my new address all the bills had my name on, unlike when I lived at the original address. The period includes an extra 5 months yet NPower will not listen to my complaints. I have also sent letters which have been ignored.

I do not have the original tenants agreement nor the original bills with the wrong name on. I also no longer have the original metre reading or the end reading.

What can I do to avoid paying what I don't owe?

Please help me ...icon9.gif

I think you need to get energywatch involved to help you with this, as Npower are a nasty shower.

Can you get a letter from the letting agency or landlord to say when you actually lived at the address if you do not have your tenancy agreement? If not, do you have an old council tax bill or can you go the council offices and get a copy as proof?

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

• 1 month later...

I will try

They are still writing to me and even though I informed them they were wrong and am considering court action, they replied by sending me the statements again.

Which means nothing to me, just that they have statements, which are incorrect.

Where will it all end

Energywatch are very interested in Npower's antics - did you call them?

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

• 4 weeks later...

If you supplied your initial and final meter reading they will have it on their records. Be nice to the person you speak with explaining the situation and ask for those readings (for the dates you gave them). Then have a look at the rates they charged for that period and work out how much you used and how much it costs with their tarrif (available on old bills if you don't have them call/write and request copues) then write to them stating the amount you owe them (with calculations) and that you will only pay this amount. If they do not accept this then they will have to take you to court. A judge will not rule in their favour as it is not you who owes the money. Inform them that the matter has also been reported to powerwatch. Request that they confirm acceptance of the amount you have stated, as payment in full to settle the debt, in writing. They will agree as they have no choice but you have to get it down in paper form. They tried to overcharge me and after nearly a year messing about with phone calls I did this and they agreed to my terms within days.

Hope this helps