• Tweets

• You will probably get a couple more reminders followed by further demands fro unregulated debt collectors with even increasing amounts to pay. They are all designed to scare you into paying.  Don't. It's a scam site and they do not know who was driving and they know the keeper is not liable to pay the PCN. Also the shop was closed so they have no legitimate interest in keeping the car park clear. So to charge £100 is a penalty as there is no legitimate interest which means that the case would be thrown out if it went to Court.  Keep your money in your wallet and be prepared to ignore all their letters and threats. Doubtful they would go to Court since a lot more people would not pay when they heard  MET lost in Court. However they may just send you a Letter of Claim to test your resolve.  If yoy get one of those, come back to us and we will advise a snotty letter to send them.  You probably already have, but take a look through some of our past Met PCNs to see how they are doing.
    • Hello, been a while since I posted on here, really hoping for the same support an advice I received last time :-) Long, long story for us, but basically through bad choices, bad luck and bad advice ended up in an IVA in 2016. The accounts involved all defaulted, to be expected. In 2018, I got contacted by an 'independent advisor' advising me that I shouldn't be in an IVA, that it wasn't the solution for our circumstances and that they would guide us through the process of leaving the IVA and finding a better solution. I feel very stupid for taking this persons advice, and feel they prey on vulnerable people for their own financial gain (it ended with us paying our IVA monthly contribution to them)-long and short of it our IVA failed in 2018. At the same time the IVA failed we also had our shared ownership property voluntarily repossessed (to say this was an incredibly stressful time would be an understatement!) When we moved to our new (rented) property in August 2018, I was aware that creditors would start contacting us from the IVA failure. I got advice from another help website and started sending off SARs and CCAs request letters. I was advised not to bury my head and update our address etc and tackle each company as they came along. Initially there was quite a lot of correspondence, and I still get a daily missed call from PRA group (and the occasional letter from them), but not much else. However, yesterday i had a letter through from Lowell (and one from Capital One) advising that they had bought my debt and would like to speak with me regarding the account. There will be several.of these through our door i suspect, as we did have several accounts with Capital One. Capital One have written to us with regular statements over the last 5 years, and my last communication with them was to advise of of our new address (June 2019), I also note that all of these accounts received a small payment in Jan2019 (i'm assuming the funds from the failed IVA pot). Really sorry for the long long post, but just thought id give (some of) the background for context.... I guess my question at the moment is.....how do I respond to Lowell...do I wait for the inevitable other letters to arrive then deal with them all together or individually...? Do I send them a CCA?  Many thanks
    • hi all just got the reminder letter, I have attached it and also the 2nd side of the original 1st pcn (i just saw the edit above) Look forward to your advice Thanks   PCN final reminder.pdf pcn original side 2.pdf
    • The airline said it was offering to pay $10,000 to those who sustained minor injuries.View the full article
    • The Senate Finance Committee wants answers from BMW over its use of banned Chinese components by 21 June.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Barclaycard ; Are These Enforceable Please

citizenB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5826 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think the email to Northampton TS will be adequate - they must be sitting on quite a stack of these complaints now.

This will, I believe, be more effective than a complaint to your local TSO.

FOS too - great !

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks slick.. Hopefully I will hear something soon from them :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

UPDATE:

I sent my complaint off to FOS and emailed Northampton TS on 4th April. FOS received theirs on 7th April and to date Northampton TS havent acknowledged or replied to my email. I am thinking to resend that because I didnt ask for a read receipt on the original. At the same time I sent Mercers and Barclaycard a short letter stating that I wasnt happy with their replies and in particular Mercer's heavy handed attitude and that I had made the complaints as above.

Today I received a letter from SS at Barclaycard. For once she acknowledges receipt of my letters. However she disagrees and is adamant that Barclaycard has complied with the law as it stands however...

One paragraph reads:

"At the time you applied for your credit card the executed agreement was incorporated into the application forme. You signed a credit agreement in the presecrived form which embodied the full terms and conditions of your agreemtn. The prescribed financial information together with the full terms and conditions of your agreement were set out on the reverse or otherwise incorporated into the application form and were specifically referred to in the the credit agreement section which contains yoru signature. W have also provided you with a copy of your curent term sof yoru agreement as the terms of yoru credit card agreement have been varied since the date it was entered into."

Now the Precontractural Application form as per the copy sent to me looks to be one of those mailer things see post #2. There is no way there would have been anything on the reverse of that because it looks to be one of those fold up things that you fold in 3 to return . So all that would have been on the reverse would have been the address of Barclaycard.. am I right??.. in which case how can they say that ALL the prescribed terms etc were on the reverse? and there certainly isnt enough room on the bit that is shown for all the regs there should be.

I will not be responding to this letter. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Sounds fine - if they continue to sya they've complied and have an enforceable agreement, we can get one of the Site Team back to check again.

If they are certain they have the nec'y doc'ts, no doubt they'll issue court proceedings for recovery - and we'll d/w that if it happens.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Citizen, I received a letter worded exactly the same from B/C when I advised them that what they had sent was not the correct document. If a week has passed since you emailed TS I would fire off another one asking if they could confirm they have received your original one. I think it took me 3 attempts before I received confirmation back from them and as far as I know they are very very busy dealing with B/C complaints! Keep up the good work! I've yet to hear back from them in connection with my F&F offer. :)

thanks slick and duffers mum. I have resent the TS email. Now I will sit back and wait. :)

BCOBS

Updating:

I sent my complaints off to both TS at Northampton and the FOS on the 4th of April. On the 11th, I received a letter from FOS which advises that they are receiving very high volumes of enquries such as mine (no doubt from other CAGers :) ). They ask for my patience and have given me a reference number.

As I hadnt heard from TS Northamptonshire, I sent a follow up email on the 11th.

Today, still nothing so I telephoned Consumer Direct in the hope of obtaining a telephone number for the above. They have advised me that the first approach MUST be to my local TS office and this is why I have heard nothing from Northampton. Soooo, I have done that. Hopefully I will hear something soon. :)

BCOBS

Citizen - I contacted my local TS about Sainsburys and Citi and was advised they don't give financial advice! I would email Northampton TS again, I had to contact them a few times before they responded, but they did in the end. I found Consumer Direct to be as much use as a chocolate tea pot! Good luck :)

PS, according to Northampton TS web site, their telephone numbers is: Telephone: (01604) 707900.

Thanks Duffers mum, I thought I was getting odd advice from Consumer Direct. First off they told me I should have sent a payment of £2.00 for the CCA and then said I had to allow them 60 days initially to reply !!.

Will telephone Northampton to see what they have to say for themselves. At least I have a read receipt from my local TS so I know they have got it. :)

BCOBS

grrr, I am so angry.

I sent off my complaint as advised to my local TS. I then tried to get hold of NOrthampton TS on the number that Duffersmum gave me to see if they had in fact received my email. I was then going to resend it . Northampton TS have been continuously engaged for the last hour. Meanwhile I have received the following email from my local TS.

Thank you for your email enquiry which has been received by XXXXXXXXX Trading Standards. First step consumer advice and information for the County of XXXXXXXX is now provided by Consumer Direct East Midlands. Consumer Direct is a telephone and online consumer advice service that is supported by local authorities in the East Midlands and by the Department of Trade and Industry.

Due to the change detailed above it is necessary for you to redirect your enquiry to Consumer Direct. Trading Standards has taken no action in respect of your query.

To contact Consumer Direct please call on 08454 04 05 06 (Minicom users should call on 08451 28 13 84). To email Consumer Direct please visit http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact?action=complain.

A wide range of consumer information and advice is also available online from the Consumer Direct website at www.consumerdirect.gov.uk.

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE HAVE NOT FORWARDED YOUR MESSAGE TO CONSUMER DIRECT - IF YOU WISH THEM TO PROVIDE YOU WITH ADVICE YOU MUST EITHER RING OR RESEND YOUR EMAIL.

I telephoned Consumer direct as per the above and as luck would have it, spoke to the same person as earlier. She has now had to go off to speak to someone with more knowledge and will be getting back to me. Ever feel like you are on an never ending loop. :confused:

BCOBS

Citizen, its like nobody wants to take responsibility for these darn companies who continually break the law isn't it. I'd keep trying Northampton TS, I emailed them this week about the offer I had made B/C but have yet to receive anything from them, I suspect they are extremely busy with complaints about Barclaycard. I really don't know what to suggest, as stated earlier I found Consumer Direct (in this area anyway) to be absolutely useless, they told me to ring the police if someone was trying to obtain money they can't prove I owe, bet the police would have been impressed if I'd taken their advice!

Keep smiling! :)

Thanks Duffers mum. Yes, I am phoning Northampton every 1/2 hour. Do you reckon they got fed up and took the phone off the hook ??:) :)

BCOBS

Yep, I will try again in the morning. Consumer Direct didnt phone back either.. surprise surprise. :)

BCOBS

Hi CB,

If you can't get through to TS just now, don't worry about it. It's not worth the trouble in that it won't affect your individual case.

Thanks Slick132 and Duffers mum. I will keep plodding along. :D

BCOBS

Aggghh.. I did a long post and hit submit and was cybernapped.:(

Ok.. I have just spoken to Consumer Direct and now have a reference number. My details will now be passed to local TS (who have them anyway because remember, I sent them an email yesterday on the advice of CD).

I now have to wait for local TS to contact me within 3 working days.

I asked why I couldnt just add the reference number that I had just been given to the email that has been whizzing round cyber space for the last 3 weeks and resend to local TS and was advised that this is the procedure now and I MUST wait for local TS to contat me. :confused:

BCOBS

I have today spoken to a representative from Local T/S. I have resent the email to her so she can pass it on to someone with more experience in Consumer Law and yes.. they will investigate both Barclaycard and Mercers on my behalf... YES !!! a result at last :)

BCOBS

Well done! It just shows how persistence pays off.

I have had problems with Barclaycard too and the current state of play is that my local Consumer Direct have forwarded my complaint to Northampton. Incidentally Citizen B , I notice that you were advised to contact the police if you were being hassled and I was also given the same advise from my local Consumer Direct. As a result I can actually recommend doing just that, as it got Calders (another trading name for Mercers) right off my back and sent them away with their tail between their legs.:)

All the Best, Patma

Thanks patma. I dont understand why these companies need to trade under so many different names?.

BCOBS

UPDATE:

Mercers sent 2 letters one each for Mastercard and Visa dated 24th April, received today.

Both letters say the same thing

"You have failed to contact us or pay the full amount outstanding.

YOU MUST PAY TO US THE FULL SUM DUE WITHIN 7 DAYS OF THE DATE OF THIS LETTER

Failure to pay could result in one or more of the following consequences.

Legal action by summons which may involve you in considerable expense.

Enforecement of any unpaid judgement by execution upon goods by a bailiff.

Enforcement of any unpaid judgement by attachment of current or future wages.

A local collector calling at your home to secure full repayment.

Your ability to obtain credit, including morgtages, may be adversely affected.

WE URGE YOU TO PAY NOW.".

OH has been paying to the Mastercard account a reduced sum of £26.00. An I&E Summary was sent to both Mastercard and Mercers on the 20th. These have been received by both. The letter accompanying the I&E invited Barclaycard to take OH to court, because they keep saying that they cant/wont accept the reduced payment and continue to add interest and late payment fees.

I thought to send the following letter to them.... any comments gratefully received.

Mercers Debt Collections Ltd

(Barclays Plc t/a)

Strictly Private and Confidential

PO Box 28

6th Floor

Liverpool

L32 8UY

Dear Ms Dineen

Account NO: XXXX XXXX XXXX - XXXXXXXXXXXXX

I am in receipt of a letter from your agents, Mercers Debt Collections Limited, dated 28th April 2008. I enclose a copy for your reference.

I would also refer you to my letter dated 20th April 2008 which was copied to both yourself and Mercers Debt Collections Limited. A copy of that letter is also enclosed for your easy reference.

With my letter as above, I enclosed an I&E summary (this was prepared with the help of a recognised Debt Counselling agency) and an offer of £26.00 per month based on my ability to pay was made.

I would reiterate my statement, that if you feel unable to accept that offer and freeze interest as other creditors have done. Then I invite you to sue me through the court for this debt.

I would point out that none of the actions threatened in Mercer's letter of the 24th can be actioned UNLESS you take me to court.

I would also advise that I will bring to the attention of the courts the dubious methods of collection you have instructed your agents as above to use in the pursuit of this debt.

Yours sincerely,

Should I leave in the paragraph in blue ?? Should I also say that if they dont accept within say 7 days.. then I will just stop paying, that should focus their minds and get them to take us to court.. shouldnt it ?

BCOBS

Now to Barclaycard Visa.

Same letter as above from Mercers. This account is in dispute, not only for the so called agreement, but also for dodgy default notices and I have reported both Barclaycard and Mercers to the Trading Standards and Financial Ombudsman and have reference numbers from both of these agencies.

Both Barclaycard and Mercers are aware of this yet, still continue to send these letters. In addition, on Saturday, OH received a letter from Mercers saying they would accept half of the debt outstanding on the disputed visa card, but as a lump payment, not acceptable in monthly repayments.

Should I just ignore the letter for this account or pass on the letter to FOS and TSA. Or should I write to Mercers/barclaycard yet again pointing out that they are being investigated on my behalf ?

YOur thoughts please ... :)

BCOBS

Hi CB,

I think you should start a new thread for one of the a/cs so we can keep the cases seperate and avoid confusion.

Enforceable Mastercard a/c

Have you yet quantified the amount of charges on this a/c which you want to reclaim. Have you sent BC a Prelim Letter and SOC reclaiming the chgs.

To reduce the debt, consider claiming back CI as well (retitutional interest at the Contractual Rate)

Unenforceable Visa a/c

If you've already made a formal complaint to the FOS, send them a copy of the latest letter from BC Visa. Copy it also to TS.

Write to BC and Mercers (don't waste more money on Rec'd Del'y) enclosing a copy of the big ltr you sent in March and point out that you have now made a formal complaint to FOS who will no doubt investigate their behaviour, and particularly, their disregard for the OFT Guidelines on Debt Collection.

Until and unless they produce an enforceable credit agreement, they can do nothing about this a/c.

Citizen - I wish my creditors would offer to settle with me for 50%, i'd bite their hands off, I just seem to be going round in endless circles with mine, my money does not appear to be good enough for any of them, saying that I've only offered it to the original creditors so far, perhaps they debts haven't been with the DCA's for long enough yet. Good luck :)

Hiya Duffers mum. If they had offered it on the Mastercard (enforceable) then yes we would have accepted. But it was on the other one :D

slick will sort out the separation and the rest of your advice after dinner. :D

BCOBS