Powergen!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5943 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

powergen have just sent me a bill via srj debt recoveries for an outstanding amount of £235.00 for gas used in 2002!!!

I asked for proof i owed this and they sent me a bill - which doesnt prove alot to me! I cant recall if i paid them or not as 2002 is a hundred years away!!!!

can anyone advise on what i should do - its looking like monthly repayments to the debt company

Ive been with EDF for over 4 years and am quite happy with them!

Oct 16 N1 sent to Abbey for £1757 + £120 costs

Oct 20 - Abbey defending full amount

Nov 14 - AQ sent to Court with £100 Cheque:-x

Guest louis wu

I think a SAR's request would be the correct thing to do, ask specifically for bills, and payments made.

In the meantime, do you have copies of your bank statements for that time? Can you remember how you paid for your bills at that time, and try to match the time with a payment.

Also, get past copies of bills and any REQUESTS/DEMANDS for this amount.

It just sounds dodgy, are you sure srj are legitimate, and confirmed there involvement with powergen?

let us know

louis

they cant collect the debt as it is over 1 year old

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I thought they could if they billed you at the time.

It is my understanding that if they fail to bill you within a year then it is their fault and they cannot force you to pay.

Did you ever receive this bill in 2002?

Was this the final bill before you changed to EDF?

Did you receive a bill after this?

If you were still with Powergen after this bill it would surely of been added onto the next bill due as balance carried over.

Was it a final bill? If so was it an estimate? Check the final reads tally with the start reads provided by EDF. Did you give a final read when you left the property and a forwarding address? If not the debt would get sold onto a debt collectors who will do a trace for the outstanding balance.

Guest louis wu
Maybe i should ring them........

It's up to you, but I would insist everything be done in writing, you've got more protection and less chance of being intimidated. And don't sign anything, print your name.

louis

Yeah go for a SAR, I very much doubt this is justified. might even have a problem giving you this information dating back so long and if this is the case they cannot justifiy it anyways. Due to a change in their database a lot of accounts only go back about 4 years. big boo boo.

Send it to the revenue protection department, if you search my early posts the exact address is posted in this section.

My husband works for E-on, (which is Powergen) and he said did you give them regular readings? If not it is likely that this sum comes from them underestimating your gas usage. If this is the case then E-on will continue to try to recover this debt from you, as strictly speaking (from thier point of view not mine) it is your responsibility to ensure you give regular readings so that you are not over or under charged. And as far as they are concerned you used the gas.

Did this come from the last bill, before you changed suplier?

It might be an idea to trawl through bank statements from that time (if you have them and paid by DD) Its not uncommon for them to make the odd mistake (although i never said that ;) ) especially as they have been taken over by e-on.

Hope this helps.... if not feel free to ask a few more questions and i will bug my hubby for answers :D

Emmie

• 2 weeks later...

erm according to the super complaint they cant.

Also l have been told by energywatch that they cant as if this is a incorrect metre read then this far after the incorrect read they cant charge me for there mistakes.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

it is your responsibility to ensure you give regular readings so that you are not over or under charged

It is the responsibility of the supplier to get a correct reading during a 2 year period.

The one rule did not apply in 2002, also this only applies for unbilled charges not billed charges that have gone to collections .

they cant collect the debt as it is over 1 year old

Of course they can! :rolleyes:

erm according to the super complaint they cant.

Also l have been told by energywatch that they cant as if this is a incorrect metre read then this far after the incorrect read they cant charge me for there mistakes.

I'd suggest you go and re-read the 'Super Complaint' before giving people the wrong advice, the super complaint as only the bills produce after July 2007, it also only applies to were an energy supplier has not billed a customer.

Sounds like the bill would be to do with an Agree Reads Dispute, which would be EDF's fault as, if they are the new supplier it’s up to them to read the meter and send this to EON/Powergen.

If my post has been helpful please click the scales below my username

I was told this was under the super complaint by energy watch not have read it.

Maybe you should have read my post b4 correcting me.

GodMother is fully justified in what she posted, although the information was a little mixed up as all these laws can be hard to understand and must be treated on an individual basis. I do however think tr03bor, you need to understand what this forum is all about. If we all sat around waiting for somone to post who was politically and legally correct in everything they say then there would be little help given to people. This forum is about sharing information and helping out people to the best of our knowledge. We can only ever advise on our opinions and own experiences. This leads to discussion and the person requiring the help can digest what we all say and take their own action.

There is no need to rip into somone whos opinion or information is differant to yours, but better to correct them in a respectfull manner.

Oh and BTW back in 2002 Powergen was not EON. and this is also not what you suggested being an ARD (Agreed read dispute). Simple maths state this to be the least likely result of the charges.

Charges for gas used in 2002, been with EDF for around 4 years. so probably COS (change of supply) was 2004, 2 years after charges.

Also an ARD would not be recognised on any account over 2 years old. If it cannot be justified it would have to be cleared as not enforceable, hence the advise to go for a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) and put account in dispute.

further to that what ozzy siad about pwergen not being E.ON in 2002.

They were actually TXU energy. Did not become Powergen till 2004 according to powergen staff l have spoken to.

Chrissi

are rite they were eastern electricity. I wondered were they went.

Chrissi

You can ask Powergen to supply you all of the information that proves whether or not you owe them this money.

I suspect you moved out of the property and forgot to inform them. Leaving the new occupier to open up their account, closing yours in the process. Leaving Powergen without a forwarding address.

So, Yes. It would go to a debt agency.

Remember, debt recovery agents don't care about your dispute. They get commission for retrieving debts and that is all they do. So go to Powergen and ask them to hold off the debt agency for 28 days. Get the information you need and go from there.

The 1 year billing rule is more of a friendly agreement by the energy companies to avoid further Government regulation. Basically, if they bill you for over 1 years worth of usage and have failed to bill you before and it is their fault, the 1 year rule applies. So if you move and they take 13 months to produce a bill - they write it off. But if you don't provide a forwarding address and they produce bills that eventually go to a debt agency, the bill stands. Also, if you move and fail to inform them, they will close your account to whatever read they get from the new owner/tenant and bill you accordingly. Leaving you almost powerless to dispute it!

If you don't get any joy from Powergen, speak to Energywatch. But please remember, if Powergen are in the right - energywatch will stand by them. They get a resolution, whether it is the one you want or not.

Hope that helps!