Advice Required

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5926 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My wife works as a hairdresser in the north east,3 weeks ago an elderly lady came in and lost her glasses in the shop, the boss of the shop basically did nothing but phone around a few customers,the lady later asked if (a)she had insurance to cover the loss or(b)whether she would be willing to pay half (£275) that they cost.The owner did nothing saying it was not her fault and she was not liable.The elderly lady refused to return to the shop on principal but as it was coming up to xmas she asked my wife if she could come and do her hair at home,after much hummimg and harring my wife agreed to do it as a favour xmas and all that,now my wife's boss has found out about this,she asked my wife about it who told her the thruth that yes she had done it,now she is threating to sack her saying that it is un-professional.Can she do this the lady was not coming back and it was only a favour??? Any ideas any-one

Cheers nafjor

If there is a (properly worded) clause in her contract of employment that prohibits conflicts of interest/other work, then yes they can.

Otherwise no.

How long has your wife been working here, and does she even have a contract?

Hi,Thanks for getting back she has no contract and she has worked there for about 3 to 4 yrs,so it would seem the boss has no leg to stand on really.

Cheers nafjor

Quite right! Your wife could probably resolve this informally, by pointing out that she has no contract (hence no clause prohibiting anything) and dropping hints that she'll go to tribunal....

If she does get dismissed, then people on here will help you with a claim for unfair dismissal etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

My wife has been offered a new job which she is going to take,is it ok to only give one weeks notice as she gets paid weekly,and is she entitled to the remainder of her holidays back in cash when she leaves,she currently works 19hrs a week and her holidays run April to April.Thanks in advance.

is it ok to only give one weeks notice as she gets paid weekly,

Yes.

Bare in mind that she is not entitled to her full years holiday. say for example she gets 26 days annual leave from April to April. You must take the 26 days and divide this by 12 (this gives you the number of days you are entitled to per month) then multiply this by 10 (the 10 months she has worked) and this will give you your total.

eg 26 Divided by 12 = 2.16 x 10 = 21.5 days annual leave due.

I think, someone may correct me.

Hope that helps.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi there, assuming your wife leaves her job week ending 8th Feb - her holiday entitlement for the year starting 1st April 07 till 8th Feb 08 would be 70.6 hours (based on working 19 hours per week). You have to deduct any holidays she has already taken from 1st April till now and that will give you what she should be paid on leaving.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hello,Does anyone know of a link(template) to write a letter of notice as my wife is moving on the pastures new at work and needs to hand her notice in tomorrow(TUESDAY),can she request payment of any holidays not taken due to her.Thanks nafjor

Can't find a pre-prepared template which looks OK, so how about:-

Dear (Sir, Madam or Name),

After much consideration, I have made the difficult decision to leave (Company Name), and have accepted a position with another company. In accordance with my Terms of Employment, I hereby tender my resignation with one week's notice, and my last working day with (Company Name) will therefore be (Date).

I understand that my final pay will be made up to include the (No of days/weeks) holiday entitlement which I have not taken, and my wageslip and P45 will be forwarded to me in a timely fashion.

I would like to thank you for employing me and wish you well for the future.

Yours (Sincerely or Faithfully)

Naturally you may need to edit the above to suit.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hello,

I need some help,it appears that there is a chance my wifes employer (who she is leaving next week)has not being paying her N.I ,is the employer responisble for the short fall if there is one.If this helps my wife recieves £110.20 per week.

Cheers nafjor

Hi there, by my reckoning your wife should have been paying £1.10 per week and her employer approx £1.28 - but you need to check ( the threshold for earnings 2007 was £87). You should contact HRMC to find out if contributions have been made.

Hope this is helpful

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.