Guitar tab websites shutdown by NMPA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5953 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I need help to figure out how to challenge this: quote:

The Bass Tab Archive tab collection has been taken off-line in order to comply with a recently received takedown letter from legal representation for the NMPA and MPA. While I strongly disagree with their position that on-line guitar tablature is a violation of artist copyright, I have chosen to comply with this order. As there is a growing community of tablature sites being threatened in this manner, my hope is that some coordinated effort can be made to resolve this matter.

I appreciate your support and am hopeful that the archive can return at some point in the future. Please contact me with any questions/suggestions/legal advice.

I would like to help this man as I am a guitarist and tabs helped me and many others learn how to play, if anyone knows of a way to challenge this please help me!:sad:

Tabs are a way to learn how to play your favourate artists songs, and all this is is greedy companys wanting everyone to pay £20 a pop for EACH song book.

So please, help fight a good cause, keep youngsters busy doing things that are mentally testing I.E playing guitar!

Thanks for all help and advice

Challenge it in what way?

The song will be covered by copyright, so guitar tablature (or any song scores for that matter) can only be reproduced with the owner's permission - posting the tablature or lyrics online would be just the same as offering a copy of the song to be downloaded online - completely illegal.

I'm not entirely sure what your question/concern is? That you don't agree with copyright laws?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Whilst I can see this from both sides, the consumer does get the short end of the stick as the official books are usually riddled with errors.

I believe ULTIMATE GUITAR TABS ARCHIVE | 250,000+ Guitar Tabs, Bass Tabs, Chords and Guitar Pro Tabs! has an arrangement with whatever organisation is regulating this where they pay in effect a liscening fee to continue hosting and accepting new submissions.

I don't have any specifics apart from, if I recall, the site is hosted in Russia, and generates a lot through advert revenue so I'd imagine they can throw a lot of money towards the authorities to keep them sweet with the set up.