• Tweets

• Thanks dx for your guide. Yes, I will use their services, but not often. I usually spend around 80 per month, but the season ticket price is 160. I plan to renew it as long it could help me to show that I will not do it again.
    • if you are going to be using its services yes if not no. STOP PANICKING........ yours is not the next move. dx  
    • You could try this and include a copy to the SRA who are being particularly tolerant to this bunch of jackapes. This also shows that you are not to be messed with and are capable of stirring up trouble for them when they step out of line. Dear DCBL, I am in receipt of your letter of 18th April 2024 regarding CPR1.1 After studying the whole section I cannot see anywhere that I am required to furnish you  with my mail address or my phone number. Perhaps you would be kind enough to provide me with a reference to it. I suspect that your subterfuge is designed to allow you to bombard uninformed litigants with last minute information on the day of their Court case which appears to occur at times with your company. I notice that you are asking for proportionality at the same time as you are demanding  an unlawful £160 when you are aware that under PoFA the maximum that can be demanded  is only £100. You will note  that I have included the Solicitor's Regulation Authority into our conversation in order to ensure your reply. And your old excuse of "admin. error" is surely wearing a bit thin even with the SRA. so I look forward to an apology for your error and a declaration that you will desist from trying to hoodwink other motorists in future.  
    • OK. Thanks, all. Should I renew the season ticket as it going to be expired.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

When is a debt statute barred?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Do you already have a CCJ?

I do have one ccj ( sorry , I did not see you ask earlier) , but it is old and nobody has chased me for it . It is from 1997 and I had an attachment of earnings, but it was never fully repaid . I am interested really only as a 'what if' . It is not so bad thou, in those days after Uni it was more than I could pay (£5k) , but today if they caught up with me I'd be ok . From what I see, the statute of limitations would not protect me . The statute of limitations provides only the barest protection and that is judgements brought upon the previous judgement ( of 97) , not the execution of that judgement .

But they are not chasing me as I say , I am just interested in the Laws really .

When was the last payment on the CCJ? Was it over 6 years ago?

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Well then they couldn't actually enforce the CCJ without an order from the court. They would need to come up with a very good reason why the CCJ had not been enforced. So while there is no statute of limitations on CCJ's as such they do need to enforce it within 6 years of judgement or appeal to the court as to why the CCJ should be reinforced. Realistically they would need to give a very good reason as to why they couldn't enforce in order to get a further extension on this period.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

That is what I usually see, vis à vis Patel v Singh & Duer V Frazer

Here is the one that I am going by :

Lowsley v. Forbes

And RIDGEWAY MOTORS (ISLEWORTH) LTD v ALTS LTD (2005) [2005] EWCA Civ 92

Lord Lloyd of Berwick Limitation

The plaintiffs, with the leave of the court, had obtained garnishee and charging orders nisi against the debtor 11 and a half years after they had obtained a consent judgment. Held: An application by the judgment debtor to set aside the orders on the ground that they were statute barred under section 24(1) should be refused. A judgment can be enforced after six years, but not any claim for interest on that judgment. Execution was not a fresh action and so was not caught by the statutory restriction. Execution has historically been treated other than as a separate action. s24(1) does not apply to proceedings by way of execution of a judgment in the same action: the expression "action upon any judgment" in s24(1) means, as it did in s2(4) of the 1939 Act, bringing a "fresh action" upon a judgment for another judgment. It did not include the execution of an existing judgment, which could proceed despite the expiration of more than 6 years from the judgment.

Lowsley and Another -v- Forbes

CA

1996-03-21

Lord Justice Evans, Lord Justice Saville and Lord Justice Morritt Limitation

The statutory time limit under the Limitation Act applied only to the right to take substantive proceedings and had nothing whatever to do with the procedural machinery for enforcing a judgment when one was obtained.

but :

Well then they couldn't actually enforce the CCJ without an order from the court. They would need to come up with a very good reason why the CCJ had not been enforced. So while there is no statute of limitations on CCJ's as such they do need to enforce it within 6 years of judgement or appeal to the court as to why the CCJ should be reinforced. Realistically they would need to give a very good reason as to why they couldn't enforce in order to get a further extension on this period.

Is so often mentioned to be the case , is this standard practice despite Lowsley -v- Forbes ?

Is Patel v Singh [2002] EWCA Civ 1938 and Duer v Frazer [2001] at odds with the ruling given by Justice Evans and Lord Lloyd ?, which one do we go by ?

An application by the judgment debtor to set aside the orders on the ground that they were statute barred under section 24(1) should be refused.

Quite correct because section 24(1) isn't relevant. Section 24(1) states
24 Time limit for actions to enforce judgments

(1)An action shall not be brought upon any judgment after the expiration of six years from the date on which the judgment became enforceable.

'Action' is defined as including 'any proceedings in a court of law' (s38(1)) and it has been held that s24 is not concerned with procedures to enforce judgments already obtained but only with the right to bring an action based on an existing judgment (Lowsley V Forbes, [1999] 1 AC 329).

Section 24 has no application, therefore, to the enforcement of judgments. These matters are dealt with by the appropriate rules of court.

As an example, CPR Schedule 2 CCR Order 26, rule 5 provides that a warrant of execution shall not be issued without the leave of the court where more than six years have elapsed since the date of judgment or order became enforceable, and that application for leave must be supported by an affidavit.

Thanks :) , I understand it now, the CPR Schedule 2 CCR Order 26, rule 5 was the missing jigsaw piece .

So Forbes went by the wrong bit of legislature then for his defence ? Apart from getting the interest reduced to 6 years ..

Or courts need to abide by the CPR wether you (defence) are aware of them or not , and the verdict was wrong ? ( disregarding that he left the country etc argument). Or this CPR is later dated then the forbes case ?

Edited by Rahl

The key point is that

The plaintiffs obtained leave from the master to enforce the judgment under RSC Ord 46, r 2(1)(a). Leave was necessary because over six years had elapsed since the date of the judgment. They also obtained a charging order nisi on the defendant’s share of the matrimonial home, and a garnishee order nisi over his bank account.
and in so doing so complied with the CPR. They applied for this under RSC Ord 46, r 2(1)(a) (which is part of the Civil Procedure Rules). This states Rule 2 (1) A writ of execution to enforce a judgment or order may not issue without the permission of the court in the following cases, that is to say ---

(a) where 6 years or more have elapsed since the date of the judgment or order;

So Forbes went by the wrong bit of legislature then for his defence ?

Yes because it didn't apply to his case, other than the matter of 6 years interest.
Or courts need to abide by the CPR wether you (defence) are aware of them or not , and the verdict was wrong ?
The verdict was correct because the plaintiffs had obtained permission from the court to enforce the judgement.

And that line there :

The plaintiffs obtained leave from the master to enforce the judgment under RSC Ord 46, r 2(1)(a).

Is where he lost the case , as no other legislature left to prevent the execution of the judgement ..

In effect then , once it has been allowed to proceed past this CPR stage you have lost .

But the reason why is not stated , must be because he left the country .. perhaps.

So, would the reasons that a plaintiff is given leave be made available to the defendant ?

Or is that pre court protocol that is not subject to debate ?

I suppose the possible reasons to obtain leave for execution after 6 years are also contained within the CPR somewhere...I am wondering really that because this RSC Ord 46, r 2(1)(a) is so vital as to wether you win or lose, what recourse you have to get it overturned if a judge says to proceed or if you have any kind of input/defence while he makes the decision. Because that is really where the case has to be argued it seems, after that it is just a formality that you lose , like Forbes .

Thanks for explaining all this )

Edited by Rahl

So, would the reasons that a plaintiff is given leave be made available to the defendant ?

Only if the court directs. Remember judgement has already been made against you. What is now being ascertained is whether there is sufficient reason as to why the judgement wasn't previously enforced.

APPLICATION FOR PERMISSION TO ISSUE WRIT

Rule 4 (1) An application for permission to issue a writ of execution may be made in accordance with CPR Part 23 but the application notice need not be served on the respondent unless the court directs.

(2) Such an application must be supported by a witness statement or affidavit ---

(a) identifying the judgment or order to which the application relates and, if the judgment or order is for the payment of money, stating the amount originally due thereunder and the amount due thereunder at the date the application notice is filed;

(b) stating, where the case falls within rule 2(1)(a), the reasons for the delay in enforcing the judgment or order;

© stating, where the case falls within rule 2(1)(b), the change which has taken place in the parties entitled or liable to execution since the date of the judgment or order;

(d) stating, where the case falls within rule 2(1)© or (d), that a demand to satisfy the judgment or order was made on the person liable to satisfy it and that he has refused or failed to do so;

(e) giving such other information as is necessary to satisfy the court that the applicant is entitled to proceed to execution on the judgment or order in question and that the person against whom it is sought to issue execution is liable to execution on it.

(3) The court hearing such application may grant permission in accordance with the application or may order that any issue or question, a decision on which is necessary to determine the rights of the parties, be tried in any manner in which any question of fact or law arising in proceedings may be tried and, in either case, may impose such terms as to costs or otherwise as it thinks just.

Brilliant stuff, thanks for this information. The mist of confusion has finally dissipated ). One other thing I was wondering , like a cca agreement that you can demand to be produced, is there a similar required document that needs to be produced in the circumstances above. I mean something like the original court order . Would that order need to comply with certain criteria , ie legibility of court signatures , court stamp issuing original ccj etc ?

And that particular document would that be the duty of the court to require the plaintif's production of, not the defendants ?

I should imagine my old ccj court order would be getting a little dilapidated by now .

Edited by Rahl

• 6 years later...

Generally no but you might want to wait a few extra months

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

thread is 7yrs old!

how are you gauging sb status and what is the debt?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...