style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5985 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly I made a HUGE mistake and let him in and he listed items (a walking possesion I think??). I made the first payment on time and I am now late with a payment . I willl make the payment up to date tonight but even if I keep up to date with other payments can they still claim possesion as i once defaulted?? I am in a wild panic now and expecting them to turn up at any point. My mum is paying it all off for us (we are paying her back) in about 2/3 weeks as the agreement is unmanageable .

How soon after you have defaulted might they turn up for possesion?!? I am absolutely terrified.

To clarify - Payment was due on 26/11 and I will only be paying tonight. I haven't heard anything from them.

PS Also I imagine a full and final settlement with a baliff is not possible?

With Thanks

You didn't say what the debt was for, I assume council tax I (like me).

As scary as it is, and it is I know; if you read around the posts on this site you'll find that in general the bailiffs don't really want to take your stuff.

After all, if you had the choice between, taking lots of money off a frightened citizen and making a big profit, or getting a van, dragging all kinds of stuff into it in this weather, and then hawking it down to an auction and getting it out of the van again for a lot less profit; I'd bet you'd want to take money of the frightened citizen every time because it's easier.

So try not to stress too much - it seems to me that the worst has already happened - you let them in and they asked for an extortionate repayment.

But you said you've got a remedy, you're going to pay it tonight, so ring them up and ask how much it'll cost to finish the debt, don't give too much away (like I did) and I bet they'll sound much friendlier.

Other wiser more experienced folk than me may have more to say, but from what little I know that just about covers it, unless anyone disagrees with me.

hope that helps a bit,

Regards,

Chris

Abi, Chris is right, and you need to take a deep breath.

You don't state the reason the bailiffs were there, or whether you have had any previous contact with them.

Don't panic. It is their job to make you think they will come down hard if you don't pay up.

They have no rights of entry even if you have allowed them access before.

See this thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bailiffs/44284-bailiff-discussion-moved-hijacked.html?highlight=bailiffs which gives details of what they can or can't do legally.

Also see Debt Basics - Bailiff Guide - know your rights

If you post more details as to why they are visiting, you may get help to defer any further action.

Tide