Harrasment making me depressed.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5996 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Someone has probably already wrote the same problem as me, but if I dont speak out I think I am going to loose it big time.

I owe two credit card companies, or should I say I have paid over £400 in charges already and still owe another £300 on each. I am looking into taking this further but the state of mind I am in at the moment it not helping. I lost my job 3 months ago, and one credit card company in particular phones me over 6 times a day every day, I even get them at 7 in the morning and 8 at night. Its Sunday today and ive had 4, I keep telling them that I am unemployed and a single mum, they shout at me and tell me I HAVE to pay something, they even tell me to borrow of my family and friends. The other card company phones a few times a day too but because I refuse to give them my date of birth when they phone they are not geting anywhere.

Can they keep doing this too me, I told them this morning that as it was Sunday and I had people at my house that I was not going to deal with it. They then phoned me again but on my mobile, I told them again the same thing and the man started to shout at me, I told him I had no money and could not pay, he told me that was not true and that I can afford some payment. Believe me I have NO money, I am even selling things to buy for my kids this year, the only luxury I have is my computer and the internet (sad YES) but at the rate im going this will be gone too.

Can someone please advise me on what I should be saying to these credit card companies that are making my life hell.

Thank you

I would be sending them a Subject Access Request and reclaiming all those charges back. You can still reclaim charges from credit cards, it's only bank acc. that are on hold.

There is also a template letter for harrassing telephone calls. I will look for the link, although someone else may beat me to it :D

In the meantime,refuse to talk to anyone on the 'phone. Tell them to put it in writing. Also, log all times and dates of these calls in case you want to make a formal complaint at a later date.

You will be supported through this, so don't worry.

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

You will find the template you need for the subject access request under this link (1st letter):

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

Post up how you get on. You are not alone in dealing with this. ;)

Hi poisonivy. Just popping in to subscribe and say that you're getting good advice here. Keep posting - many of us have been in your situation and are still here to tell the tale. It's a horrible, stressful time - but it does get better.

Don't let them bully you.

And hope your kids have a lovely Xmas.

:)

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

i bought a little white BT box that plugs in the phone line for £1.99 from argos i think, it displayed the number calling, had a silent mode with red flashing light too. it didnt stop them but made it bearable until bt gave me a new number.

i also spoke to my mobile provider who were able to bar that particular number from calling (some providers wont do this, some will) but they did insist on a crime number from the police which took a few weeks. until then i just assigned a really quiet ring tone to that number.

I've got a phone with caller ID. It only cost £12.99 from Argos, I needed a new phone at the time - and it really helps - especially when my ma phones when I'm drunk!

Seriously - caller ID is worth it though.

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

Until you get everything sorted out, start by asking for the full name of whoever calls, along with contact details. Don't go through their security questions - take charge

Then tell them that you have asked for everything to be put in writing, that you won't discuss anything over the phone, that what they are doing amounts to harassment and is a criminal offence, that you are recording the call and that you will be passing it to the police with a view to prosecution. Do they have anything that they wish to say. Anything they do say may be given in evedence against them.

Do that even if you are not recording and might be a slight exaggeration

Have a script by the phone. Enjoy the call with the boot on the other foot. Don't let the *******s grind you down. By taking charge of the conversation you will feel better each time they call. End the conversation with "have a nice day" if you like.

It might cut calls down

Grumpy

Quite simply they are not allowed to phoe you several times a day, never mind on a Sunday. There are a number of things you can do depending on how strong you are feeling. First thing to do is send the harassment letter as has been posted, send it recorded delivery if possible.

You can also either continue to take the calls and log them or you can contact your telephone supplier and inform them you are being harassed, they will then change your phone number. Again you can probably get some sort of call barring on your mobile.

If after you send the harassment letter you still get calls get in touch with your local Trading Standards (you can find them in the phone book or yellow pages or alternatively by following this link Trading Standards Central - Trading Standards and Consumer Protection information for the UK).

Are the accounts completely made up of charges? If you don't have all your statements you should send the SAR to start the reclaiming process. Quite simply companies are not allowed to conduct business in this manner.

The following links may also be of some help to you Debt Help UK - Administration of Justice Act 1970 | UK debt consolidation service with free help and advice http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi

Thanks for all your help and advice, I will try to keep strong when they call again which I am sure they will. (missed two calls this morning) As for making a claim and if they are all charges I think most is. I have all my statements and they are all documented in my computer

I am not sure which charges I can claim for but I will be reading the relevent info 1st.

One Card is (I still owe over £400)

-369.17 Total Paid out

606.96 Total Paid In

-119.91 Total Payment Break Plan (I am not covered on this - even though I am unemployed)

-168.00 Total Late Payment Fee

-420.00 Total Overlimit Fee

-315.81 Total Merchandise Interest

-1.65 Total Cash Interest

the other card is (I still owe over £300)

1 -297.82 Total Paid Out

2 1121.74 Total Paid In

3 -676.00 Total Overlimit Fee

4 -90.00 Total Card Protection

5 -464.00 Total Late Payment Fee

6 -66.21 Total Payment Protection

7 -323.44 Total Interest

8 372.86 Misc Paid In

9 -33.55 Misc Paid Out

I will certainly be looking into this.

Thank again all... :D

On credit cards you can claim late payment fees and overlimit fees, you can't claim things like cash advance fees. Really on credit card claims you should be reclaiming the charges and adding interest to the charges at the contractual rate of the card.

Take some time to read through the FAQ's here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Also have a look in the templates library where you will find the templates that you need to start the reclaiing process http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

If you are not covered by the card protection policy then you should cancel it! This may also be something you can reclaim as well.

One step at a time though otherwise it can be quite overwhelming.

;)

Hi hopeful

Thanks, i have asked them to cancel this but they said I need to pay up-to-date 1st think they just like the fact that this excalating, cant believe how much I paid to them against how much I borrowed, never ever again.

:shock:

I'm having the same battle with Barclays. I've now sent it to the Financial Ombudsman to sort out for me.

When you have chance read around the info re PPI. Then write to the creditor making a formal request for the PPI to be cancelled. Send the letter recorded as you then have proof they have received the request.

At the end of the day, if you're not covered by the policy it is a serious case of mis-selling!

Best wishes ;)

Hi Ivy (it seems a bit harsh to call you Poison!)

How are you? I was just wondering if you're had any responses to your letters? Have the 'phone calls stopped?

Hope you're ok :)

Yes poisonivy :)

Please let us know.

Hello there Ivy

Just subscribing to your thread :)

I am going through the same thing as you and so I know only too well how intimidating these low lifes can be over the phone.

Until this is sorted out as the others on here have suggested (and you've had some great advice already) , whenever they phone and ask for you by name just say "she is not in" - this gets shut of them pretty quick I have found.

If they ask me to take a message I pretend to take one and say "I will tell her you phoned" ;)

Sheer bliss - they are off the phone in seconds and have got nowhere, and it will make you feel better I promise you.

Hopefully you won't have to do it for much longer if you manage to get your call barring or caller identity sorted out but meantime as an emergency measure I hope it helps you to feel less stressed by all the calls.

Good luck! Please let us know how you are getting on.

Love SG x

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

Hi all.

Not feeling too bad thanks, just dreading christmas :(

Sent both card companies letters re charges, got one back with offer of "well nothing really" the other is still phoning day and night, i have had 6 this morning, I told them I wont give my date of birth so they told me phone them, I did and they want my date of birth again I told them if they want to deal with this they must realise that I wont give my date of birth. hey they hung up them called me again on my mobile and house phone.

really need to send a letter about the harrasment.. sitting here with my curtains shut, think shutting myself away will stop them butknow it wont. Think I need a kick up the backside to bring me out of this.

Will get there Im sure.

:-| x

(((Ivy)))

Oh I do so understand how you are feeling. I hope it helps to know you are not alone and that I'm thinking of you and sending you as many supportive cyber-hugs as I can muster xxx

Yes you need to get those harassment letters off very quickly. Send them recorded delivery and make sure you keep the receipts. The amount of times they are phoning you is simply ridiculous :mad: there is no excuse for it, they are just bullies.

You said you are keeping your curtains closed and I wondered if its because you are worrying someone will call on you from a DCA? I just want to say to you that if anyone does come to your door you can legitimately tell them to s*d off.

Unless there is a court order in place, nobody can come into your house without your invitation.

rory very kindly helped me recently when I got a letter from one of the low life DCA's threatening to "call" on me.

Here it is, you might feel better if you type it up and keep a copy handy:-

Dear Sirs,

Please be advised that I am only prepared to communicate with you in writing. OFT rules and regulations clearly state that you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.).

Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives, to visit me at my property and if you persist in sending "doorstep callers" to my home, you will be reported for harassment and be liable for damages for a tort of trespass.

You would also be liable for conspiring in a tort of trespass by acting in defiance of my instructions and sending someone to visit me nevertheless.Should it be necessary, I will obtain an injunction.

Yours sincerely,

If you're worried about more than one of them calling, just put "To Whom It May Concern" at the top so you can give the letter to any of them.

I should stress though that in my case them "calling" meant phoning up and not coming to my doorstep, but I didn't know that at the time so this letter helped to reassure me. It seems it is VERY rare indeed for them to actually call at a person's house but if it makes you feel better as it certainly did me, you keep that letter handy.

Needless to say I totally ignored their phone calls as well, and if you want to see how things are progressing (and that there is hope!) have a look on my thread :-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/118271-anyone-heard-dm-limited-2.html

Stay strong

We are all here for you :)

Love SG x

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

the other is still phoning day and night, i have had 6 this morning, I told them I wont give my date of birth so they told me phone them, I did and they want my date of birth again I told them if they want to deal with this they must realise that I wont give my date of birth. hey they hung up them called me again on my mobile and house phone.

Just to say, don't entertain them on the 'phone at all. Just point blank refuse to talk to them. They ring people to put pressure on them in the hope they will crumble and give in to their demands. In my opinion , if they have something constructive and legal to say, they should do so in writing.

I repeat "put it in writing" until they put the 'phone down. Others on here have suggested all sorts of mad things such as put the vacuum on! You are within your rights to not talk them. I certainly wouldn't waste my money ringing them.

Have you sent off the harrassment letters?

Hope you're feeling ok. Keep in touch with us :)

Hi,

I, like many others here, felt alone and shut myself away for a long time. Finding the support on this site was the best thing to ever happen to me.

I've taken the advice, sent the letters and I feel more in control than ever before and am re-engaging with the world, hence the monicker 'Newborn'!

Life is too short not to give yourself every chance. You deserve it!

I wish you all the luck in the world and please keep us all informed.

Newborn

Beaten:

RBS: £4,500

AMEX: £4,200

Barclaycard Visa: £12,100

Barclaycard M/Card: £12,600

(Including the numerous DCAs they have set on me.)

PPI reclaims (into my bank account): £25,000