DVLA and postal strike 04/10 - 10/10

danny_kiernan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Due to the current postal strike, I would advise anyone sending in letters to the DVLA, to leave it till after the 15th (which royal mail have stated, is when deliveries will be back to normal).

If you are taxing your vehicle or declaring SORN, you should do this via the DVLA website Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency ,but remember to print out a copy of your receipt, as the actual paperwork will be delayed.

You can also tax/SORN your vehicle over the phone:

0870 850 4444

Text phone/minicom users 0870 850 4445

You can also Tax your vehicle at Post Office Counters (of branches that are open) - as the information is transmitted electronically to the DVLA , so they should not be affected by the strike.

You can also Tax/SORN your vehicle, or hand in a letter at one of the DVLA local offices - The list is available here Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) contacts : Directgov - Directories

Kind Regards

Dani

Due to the current postal strike, I would advise anyone sending in letters to the DVLA, to leave it till after the 15th (which royal mail have stated, is when deliveries will be back to normal).

You can advise what you like, but the mail will be dealt with in the order it is received, so the sooner it is posted, the sooner it will be delivered. If somebody leaves posting something until the 15th then all they will be doing is delaying their own mail!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

You can advise what you like, but the mail will be dealt with in the order it is received, so the sooner it is posted, the sooner it will be delivered. If somebody leaves posting something until the 15th then all they will be doing is delaying their own mail!

The royal mail have not sealed postboxes for this strike, so all mail posted before 11/10/2007 is at the senders risk, plus the royal mail will have a massive backlog. People tend to stick all sorts of things in postboxes - so it is not advisable to post mail till after the strike is over.

It would be best to wait till the backlog is cleared on the 15th, so that royal mail will be able to deliver letters/correspondance as normal, otherwise it will take a lot longer for the backlog to be cleared.

barracad - I question your advice, have you not heard of the knock-on effect? Plus royal mail is not operating at peak strength at the moment.

barracad - I question your advice, have you not heard of the knock-on effect?

Obviously the more mail entering the system will cause greater backlogs, but the fact remains that mail will be dealt with in date order - i.e. the backlog will get dealt with before any newly posted items.

Full details are available at royalmail.com/update

Also, the current round of strikes will end on 10th, so the point of anybody waiting until the 15th is beyond me.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

um i think there has been sum type of mistake over the dates of the mail strikes. The current strike action has finished due to it stopping at 12 midday saturday 6th october but restarts on monday the 8th october at 3am till wedneday 1oth october at 3am.

Weekly strikes start from week begining the 15th october. That is the OFFICAL line from royal mail as my uncle nick and father in law both work for royal mail.

so post boxes and mail from post offices are being collected but not between the dates mentioned and on the day strikes from the 15th october. Also in case anybody did not no they are no longer going to be emptying post boxes on sundays and bank holiday mondays from the 28th october.

Maybe you should look on www.royalmail.com before posting inaccurate info

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Hi Fairy Godmother,

Hadn't seen that update myself - but it does say

'This will be followed by an unspecified programme of weekly strikes, starting week commencing October 15th, until the resolution of the dispute.'

Not that they will actually be on strike on october 15th, The post office's official line is that due to the two 2 day strikes, mail will be backlogged until the 15th, so it is advisable not to post till then.

I know this due to going into a main post office on Thursday and Saturday to mail items via parcelforce. Parcelforce is not part of the strike btw.

Dani

well that is not the offical line that my Father in law and uncle came back with at 9am this morning. They have already cleared the back log from the previous 2 days strike action and according to the sorting officer at main local sorting office it is only a few sorting offices that are advising ppl do not post there mail.

Oh and btw the update as up put it is not new. This was announced to royal mail staff and members of the public when the 48 hour stoppages were announced. his has also been all over the television and radio on the days leading up to strike action.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

They have already cleared the back log from the previous 2 days strike action and according to the sorting officer at main local sorting office it is only a few sorting offices that are advising ppl do not post there mail.

There is no way they have cleared any backlog, there hasn't been any deliveries and won't be until probably Thursday of this week. And the advice is still being given not to post anything.

well actually post boxes have been emptied and so have the post office parcels. Both of these have been sorted and are ready to post. Just to correct you some ppl are still getting there post as only cwu members are striking and not the other 2 unions that are under royal mail. There is a seperate one for the manages, if they want to join that one, and a seperate one for the ppl who do want to be in the cwu.

Anyway this only relates to were my uncle nick lives and were i live. Even tho my father in law is a sortin office manager he is still part of the cwu and is striking.

There is no way they have cleared any backlog, there hasn't been any deliveries and won't be until probably Thursday of this week. And the advice is still being given not to post anything.

We've had home deliveries for the last three days

The post office's official line is that due to the two 2 day strikes, mail will be backlogged until the 15th, so it is advisable not to post till then.

Rubbish. The official line is that mail will be dealt with in the order it's received, as detailed on their website.

yes barracad you are rite.

Mail will be delt with in order of recipt but it will only be delivered from offices that are not striking.

Industrial action: an update from Royal Mail

Monday 8th October update

Royal Mail regrets the impact of the latest CWU strike and the disruption this has caused. We are also disappointed to see that the CWU has communicated the next planned strikes which are due to commence on Monday 15th October 2007 - we are awaiting full details so we can assess the impact.

We are heartened that there continues to be an increase in our operational staff attending work . Managerial and support staff continue to work within the operations across all shifts to help keep mail flowing and we are still talking with the CWU and continue to try and reach an agreement.

We apologise for any disruption caused to our customers and whilst Special Delivery items are being delivered and some mail is flowing through the network we are building up significant backlogs. Currently we are not able to give details of mail volumes on hand or the timescales for clearing the backlog once this round of industrial action finishes on Wednesday - we apologise for any inconvenience this causes.

We would like to assure our customers that all mail will be handled in sequential order and we will be working hard to get the mail through the system and delivered. We will do our best to return to normal as soon as possible but customers should expect significant delays.

We will continue making every effort to support our customers throughout the strikes but our ability to serve remains extremely limited as a result of the CWU strike.

As an aside - Business Post (the company), are operating normally, even though they use royal mail, for the last leg of some journeys, they have got around that by using other small, private postal companies and couriers. So for something urgent - Business Post can be used - if you want to be sure that it will arrive.

Rubbish. The official line is that mail will be dealt with in the order it's received, as detailed on their website.

Ask the Post Office, rather than saying something is rubbish - I asked the main one local to me and was told that their Head Office have stated what I said earlier.

Yes but as we all no if varies by where you live. As i said i have family with in royal mail and one of my neighbours works for royal mail so i know what i am being directly told. Some ppl who are not in the unions are working and delivering/picking up post. Union members are not working.

Yes but as we all no if varies by where you live. As i said i have family with in royal mail and one of my neighbours works for royal mail so i know what i am being directly told. Some ppl who are not in the unions are working and delivering/picking up post. Union members are not working.

Hi GodMother - I am not disputing that fact whatsoever :)

More strikes are planned for Monday

When will Royal mail ever live up to there name?

Hang on there sitting down doing nothing. I see where there coming from.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

Woohoo - I got some post, oh a bill and ... another bill, oooo provident inviting me to waste my money - only 8 days after they are all postmarked :)

I love Royal Mail :rolleyes:

I can't wait to get censored letters soon, well with the orwellian society that the government is creating - it can't be far away :D

Dani

Ask the Post Office, rather than saying something is rubbish - I asked the main one local to me and was told that their Head Office have stated what I said earlier.

As I said, the official Royal Mail line is stated on their website - that mail will be dealt with in date order. Why I would want to ask someone in a Post Office (who are not on strike) rather than read what Royal Mail (who are the ones striking) have to say for themselves, is completely beyond me.

Also, if you disagree with the fact that mail will be dealt with in date order then perhaps you should read what you actually post yourself:

We would like to assure our customers that all mail will be handled in sequential order

Which proves that what you posted earlier was rubbish as you are contradicting yourself. If you want to argue with your own "advice" then feel free.

As I said, the official Royal Mail line is stated on their website - that mail will be dealt with in date order. Why I would want to ask someone in a Post Office (who are not on strike) rather than read what Royal Mail (who are the ones striking) have to say for themselves, is completely beyond me.

I cannot answer for a 3rd party (The post office), but I think that the clue is in the title POST OFFICE.

Also, if you disagree with the fact that mail will be dealt with in date order then perhaps you should read what you actually post yourself:

Which proves that what you posted earlier was rubbish as you are contradicting yourself. If you want to argue with your own "advice" then feel free.

That was the full text from the royal mail website (as I stated)- not my own assumptions or advice - so calm down barracad - or are you trying to

wind me up and start a flame war - wouldn't suprise me if you were.

Dani

I cannot answer for a 3rd party (The post office), but I think that the clue is in the title POST OFFICE.

No Dani, and that's the point that Barracad is trying to make clear.

Collection, sorting, transporting and (sometimes) delivering mail is the job of the Royal Mail (the clue is in the title;))

The Royal Mail is an entirely separate legal entity from the Post Office, who are the people who run Post Offices. They are not the same company.

Thus is seems likely that the Royal Mail web-site is likely to be the more accuracy - since it is their business that has suffered the strike

That was the full text from the royal mail website (as I stated)- not my own assumptions or advice

Which is exactly what I said - you posted the official line - i.e. from the Royal Mail website - but then contradict yourself by saying the official line is something completely different!

Latest from the royal mail wevsite:

Settlement Agreed

Saturday 13th October Update

Royal Mail is pleased to report that negotiations with the Communications Workers Union (CWU) have been successful and a settlement has now been reached.

We apologise for the disruption and inconvenience the strikes have caused, and thank you for your ongoing patience through this difficult time.

We are now working hard to return to normal as quickly as possible, but there is a significant build-up of mail that will take some time to clear. We will deal with all mail in the order in which we received it, and will re-instate all service guarantees and promises as soon as we are able to honour them.

Unofficial strike action

However we are very disappointed to report that some colleagues are currently taking unofficial strike action, in several parts of the country, which will inevitably lenghten our recovery period, and affect services in these areas. Please call our customer service helpline - 08457 950 950 for business customers and 08457 740 740 for residential customers - for the latest details.

So unless you live in certain parts of London, all areas of Liverpool and Glasgow, the post will slowly return to normal from Monday

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.