Capital One and Sentinel Card protection

purmashc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4821 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all hope someone can provide me with some help.

I have a Capital One credit card, they have been charging me PPI as a percentage of my balance every month, i do not recall asking for this service.

I phoned them to cancel which they have now done. They informed me that i signed up to the service over the phone. Which i do not recall.

I have also noticed that they passed on my details to Sentinel Card protection whom charged me a fee of £39.00 in August 2004 to cover me for three years. I do not recall signing up for this service and have never heard of the company.

However the annoying matter is that Sentinel have charged me again this August 2007 an amount of £49.00 for the next three years i only became aware of this when i received my capital one statement yesterday.

I have phoned sentinel to cancel and because the payment has lapsed 30 days by 3 days they will not refund the charge. They say they sent me a renewa letter in July 2007. They said they sent this to the address on record. I have since moved but only down the road so collect all correspondence from previous address and never received the letter from Sentinel.

They say the letter they sent informed me that they were going to charge me. But as i never received it they went ahead and charged me any way. I feel that this is unfair if they sell you the policy over the phone then why do they not phone to see if i still want it.

I have asked them to investigate the matter they say they will get back intouch with me in the next 5 working days.

If anyone can provide me with advise i would welcome it.

Kindest regards

Chad

Hi all hope someone can provide me with some help.

I have a Capital One credit card, they have been charging me PPI as a percentage of my balance every month, i do not recall asking for this service.

I phoned them to cancel which they have now done. They informed me that i signed up to the service over the phone. Which i do not recall.

I have also noticed that they passed on my details to Sentinel Card protection whom charged me a fee of £39.00 in August 2004 to cover me for three years. I do not recall signing up for this service and have never heard of the company.

However the annoying matter is that Sentinel have charged me again this August 2007 an amount of £49.00 for the next three years i only became aware of this when i received my capital one statement yesterday.

I have phoned sentinel to cancel and because the payment has lapsed 30 days by 3 days they will not refund the charge. They say they sent me a renewa letter in July 2007. They said they sent this to the address on record. I have since moved but only down the road so collect all correspondence from previous address and never received the letter from Sentinel.

They say the letter they sent informed me that they were going to charge me. But as i never received it they went ahead and charged me any way. I feel that this is unfair if they sell you the policy over the phone then why do they not phone to see if i still want it.

I have asked them to investigate the matter they say they will get back intouch with me in the next 5 working days.

If anyone can provide me with advise i would welcome it.

Kindest regards

Chad

Hello Chad,

Lets hope they come back in 5 working days with what you want.

Is there two issues here.

1. charging ppi on the monthly balance

2. Paying a fee for 3 years cover,

I personally would sent a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) and get all information from them. You will get all statements as to how much they have taken in ppi.

All recorded telephone conversations and transcripts.

If you need help with the SAR there is one kicking about on the ppi forum. It is a full one asking for all information they have on you. If you cannot find it give me a shout.

Read around the ppi thread, you will gain so much info regarding the process and if you have any questions just shout.

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Hi Hellhasnofury,

Thanks you for your reply, i have all statements from when i claimed back my bank charges from Capital one. I have been through it and sent them a letter asking them to repay all ppi charges. But when i wrote the letter i had assummed that the Sentinel card charge three years ago was done through them.

It was later that i discover theat this is not the case, Sentinel Card protection are separate.

So when i spoke with sentinel to cancel the new charge they informed me that i was 3 0r 5 days late from the 30 days they give you to cancel. The chap on the phone said he would lodge my complaint and i should receive a response by the end of next week.

So i think it is best to wait until there response, do you agree.

Kindest regards

Chad

Puddinpie

Hi i sent i reclaim letter on Monday so waiting for reply. It is not that much i am reclaiming. So hope it does not drag on and on.

Well done on the charges i got my back but had to file the N! form first.

Chad

I feel that most companies are not rolling over quite so quickly with regard to reimbursing PPI.

My PPI against Cap 1 is for £400 and they are not budging - just received another letter from them saying this is their final repsonse (I have had 5 letters stating its there final response !!!) and they willnot answering anymore letters from me and I should now persue with ombusdsman.

I am currently at N1 stage with another company (Studio) and that is for only £136.00 (inc £30.00 court fee) and they will not budge either despite the fact I think it is clear cut miss-sellingh of PPI. Quite happy to go to court with these weasels though as they tell blatant porky pies ......

Just be warned ............... you will have to fight .......they will not pay up as they have with refund of charges.......the letter you have just sent is just the beginning !

• 1 year later...

Hi I can explain...

the moment you recieve a credit card, the card has a sticker on the front telling you to ring a number which activates the card, but it isnt the bank or the card issuers number it will 95% of the time be a number for the partnered company of the bank or card issuer

every bank can save their resources by partnering with a telesales company to activate credit & debit cards for them & offering sevices such as card protection or identity theft protection

in your case capital one partners with Sentinel card protection plan

to activate your card you ring the number that appears on the card which is actually the number directly for the sentinel consumer sales floor

during the process of the cards activation the consumer sales agent will offer you products to purchase that protect your cards or your identity...

what every sales agent is "strictly" trained to do is offer the policies based on the customers wants & needs of each service, simply putting the protection in place is against company regulations

ideally when a customer wants the service everything runs smoothly, they know exactly what the service is & is satisfied by the protection

but if the policy is set up without consent, as you've experienced it is problematic due to you not knowing what the service is or what it can do for you, hence you are unsatisfied...

i have both identity & card protection in place & find both services to be very helpfull, but as you've guessed i know what the services are & how they can be of assistance

to actually process a sale of a policy the consumer sales agent must do the following:

1. gain consent to pitch the poicy

2. give a brief yet clear summary

3. give exclusions & price

4. gain expilit consent of purchase

5. explain how the payments will be debited, when & how

6. go through the details of the policy i.e. giving you the claim number, the policy number

7. explaining when the policy pack arrives in the post

8. tranfering you through to a recorded message given to the telesales company by their governing body i.e. "financial servises authority F.S.A.

in summary being compliant & treating the customer fairly

which to be fair on the companies including sentinel, all telesales agents are given a 2 weeks induction course & full coaching on how to do the above...

dont be alarmed by this when the above criteria are met (which is 99.9% of the time on each call) the customers end each call satisfied whether they buy or not buy...

hope this helps

Edward David Brown

• 2 years later...