Credit card discount period problem after transfer.

Bang!
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Went for a drink with some friends from years ago today.

One had done a credit card balance transfer (to or from Virgin - not sure now) then the card changed the payment date and had informed of this, but it was on tiny print on the statement rather than with a letter.

So - the discount period was ended.

As this was a penalty for paying late, is the interest charge that now applies to what would have been a free/low interest period a reclaimable penalty charge?

I wouldn't normally think of interest as a charge, but I see your point. I'll see if I can get some opinions on this.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Discount rates on credit cards are dependant on there beind no late

or missed pay

ments, a charge of £12.00 is usually levied for a late

payment, Barclaycard will suspend the account on some occasions

if the payment is very late.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Yes, but what about the increased interest rate due to the cc provider bringing forward the payment date making the customer miss it? The date was put on the statement but not notified by letter and they didn't notice it. Because it was late the discount rate was removed and another rate imposed. Is that a penalty?

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It is unfair business practice. BC when they notify

you of a late payment, require the next months

minimum amout.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

It's been suggested that you write a nicely worded letter of complaint that the date was amended and not made clear.

Worth a shot I think.

It's been suggested that you write a nicely worded letter of complaint that the date was amended and not made clear.

Worth a shot I think.

Thanks guys.

He had written a letter asking to be reinstated upon the lower interest period, but it was declined. He then transfered elsewhere but felt ripped off paying two fees for a shorter interest free period.

I still see it as a penalty charge - and suggested returning to the original charges scenario where all charges risking external challenge would be repaid to avoid creating a precedent.

If the account holder does not keep to the terms and

conditions of the promotional offer the it is withdrawn.

That depends on what you mean

by escalation.

I can see little merit for taking this

further.

I think it's about £500 for a complaint to be investigated by FOS.

• 2 weeks later...
I think it's about £500 for a complaint to be investigated by FOS.

Someone from ?Barclays? was in a group talking about PPI recently - they had been saying something along the lines of £800 was cheaper to pay out on, if it was a certainty the punter would progress to the regulator, to save the costs and man hours.