style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6270 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Let me apologise in advance for the length of this post.

Been reading through the Forums and been trying to take in as much as I can. Been with HSBC now for approximately 5 years now. I'm originally from and now live in Belfast, but studied at uni in Leeds. When I first went to Leeds, I opened a Student Account with HSBC because they seemed to have the best deals out of all the banks. Things were grand and after 3 years I graduated and my account changed to a Graduate Account. I never had any problems with my account until maybe October of last year.

I had a Direct Debit set up to pay off my Credit Card. If it came to the end of the month (when the Debit came out) and I did not have enough funds in my account, the money would have come out anyway as I usually got paid a few days after. I was very happy with this arrangement. About last October my Direct Debit was cancelled due to there not being enough in my account to cover it. The thing is HSBC never contacted me about this, so I kept on going thinking my Direct Debit was still coming out. Then in January of this year I received a letter threatening me with legal action due to the amount of interest being built up and not being paid off. I asked why my Direct Debit had been cancelled and I had not been informed. I was told it was not up to them to be chasing after me and looking after my account for me. I was also told I should have checked my statements. The thing is I hadn't been receiving them. Strangely enough about 3 months of statements arrived in the post a few days after. I have since set up a Mandate Order and have been paying off this ridiculous amount of interest (which I am still paying off after 7 months!!)

There have been other things since this. Too many for me to even start here. It just seemed that were was a different problem every week. As I live in Belfast it is impossible for me to visit my local branch, which is in Leeds. I am yet to be given a contact number for the Leeds branch. I'm sick asking for it, as apparently I need to visit this branch in order to pick up any new cards or to even change to the Belfast branch (which I find hard to even call a bank!!).

Another problem I had was a few months ago I went to the ATM to lift out money and the machine swallowed my card. I went to the Belfast branch to be told my Switch card had been cancelled and a letter had been sent to me a few weeks beforehand to explain why. I am STILL waiting on this letter. I was told it was cancelled because I had not made any effort to pay back any of my overdraft (which I still have a yearto do so). I explained that as I had a Graduate Account I was led to believe I had 3 years to repay my overdraft before interest rates kicked in. I got the very ignorant reply that it's not my money, but the bank's money so they will do whatever they want with it. I then asked could I lift out some money as I had been paid the day before. They told me I couldn't lift ANY money until my new Debit card arrived "in 3-5 working days". Of course I nearly blew a fuse and asked "Is this a bank?" "Yes". "Well, they are my wages and I'm not leaving until I get them in my hand." I got the money easily enough then.

Since this I have gone to another bank, the Ulster Bank, as my friend works for them and I've heard great reports about them. When they tried to open an account for me I was told I was unable to as HSBC had put a black mark against my name. I am yet to find out why this is. They seem to have blacklisted me for nothing. And I seem to be stuck with them in the meantime handing over ridiculous amounts of money for nothing.

I think this thread is long enough as it is, so I'll not go into the other stupid things that have gone on. Is there a case for me to do anything? I would be grateful for any advice of what to do next. Thanks!

27th October: Data Protection Act 1998 Subject Access Request

8th November: Letter received from HSBC - Statements to follow

9th November: Bank statements arrive

12th January: Preliminary Approach for Repayment

22nd January: Letter received from HSBC - they will be looking into matters raised

30th January: Letter Before Action sent

24th February: Letter received from HSBC (dated 6th February) offering £240

28th February: Claim issued via Money Claim Online for £326.28 (including 8% interest)

1st March: Letter to HSBC declining offer

5th March: Notice that Acknowledgement of Service has been filed

29th March: Notice of Transfer of Proceedings

25th April: Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track

15th June: Court Bundle sent to Court

25th June: Offer received from DG Sols.

i am not a student, but it seems all a bit similar to the why HSBC handled my account. as you are disputeing the terms and conditions of your account it might be worth your while applying for a copy of the original signed agreement, they have to supply it, if they cant there might be a chance of righting off your debt, but its not a certanty.

:mad:LF53

Banks cannot put a "black mark" against you without good reason - and this has to be a level where they have applied to you for repayment, and you have not met the agreed payments over a period of time.

I have a friend who also has an HSBC student account, he is studying in the UK and his parents send him money from Greece every month. Last week, out of the blue, he received notification from HSBC that they "no longer wish to do business" with him, and telling him he has 30 days to clear his Student Loan!!!

He wrote to them, having checked the terms and conditions of his account, and sure enough, they have had to reverse their decision - so there is hope here!

Double check your terms and conditions, then I would write to them with details of the conditions that show you have three years to pay the loan, and telling them they are now in breach of their own T&Cs!

Good luck with this - and make sure you INSIST that they remove the entry against your name.

Dinahjl :grin:

HSBC - 2 Accounts - owe us £5.8K

10 Aug offer received of 50% owed on smaller account. We Replied and REJECTED offer

11 Aug 2nd offer made on same account - £500 higher! REJECTED AGAIN

18 AugMoneyclaim submitted for £3848 on main account. ACKNOWLEDGED 23 Aug.

30 Aug Moneclaim prepared for 2nd acc £2389.56

9 Sept RECEIVED OFFER IN FULL SETTLEMENT OF £6134.30:-D :-D :-D

If you have found my advice or comments helpful - please rate them by using the scales above. THANK YOU:)

Cheers for the replies. Think I will get on with sending the Data Protection Act 1998 Subject Access Request and go from there.

22nd January: Letter received from HSBC - they will be looking into matters raised

28th February: Claim issued via Money Claim Online for £326.28 (including 8% interest)

hi dont forget you can get your statements online

WHEN THE WORLD GETS IN MY FACE I SAY HAVE A NICE DAY :lol:

MY SUCCESSESS

HSBC £5,735.35 :D

MUM IN LAW £2112.00 WIN FROM HALIFAX :grin:

MUM £3580.00 WIN FROM NatWest :grin:

AUNTIE 2 NATWEST WINS £1865.00 AND £2541.00

EQUITA BAILIFFS £293.00 REFUND :grin:

MBNA £871.16 WON WITH CI AT 24.49%

WELCOME FINANCE CHARGES £600 APPROX didnt even need letter lol

CAP ONE WON WITH CI AT 29.9% £994.26

CLAIMS ON THE GO AT MO

mbna ppi

NatWest cc at mcol (ppi next)

welcome ppi

first response charges

IF I HAVE HELPED IN ANY WAY HIT THE SCALES IN BOTTOM LEFT CORNER THANK YOU ;)

• 2 months later...

Sent the Data Protection Act 1998 Subject Access Request with a cheque for £10 on 27th October 2006. On 8th November, I received the following reply, along with my returned cheque:

"Thank you for your request with regard to information about transactions and charges on your account.

We will forward to you copies of statements covering the period in question. These will begin to arrive in separate batches and will be with you shortly.

We are happy to cover any fees for the production of this information and we return your payment." :o

Also received the first batch of statements (15 in all) requested.

I also have a credit card with HSBC. Will I have to send a separate Data Request letter for this or should my initial letter cover this as well?

I didn't get get a default notice, but I know I have been defaulted because I went to open an account with another bank and they were able to tell me I had been. I still haven't been given a reason why I'm defaulted. At this time, I'm unable to open a bank account with another bank and unable to get another credit card (I haven't used my current one in over a year).

I didn't get get a default notice, but I know I have been defaulted because I went to open an account with another bank and they were able to tell me I had been. I still haven't been given a reason why I'm defaulted. At this time, I'm unable to open a bank account with another bank and unable to get another credit card (I haven't used my current one in over a year).

You have to have received a NOTICE of Default for it to apply - write to them and ask them for a copy of this, and get it temporarily removed from your credit file whilst they 'check' their paperwork.

I am sure this is the case. All the letters can be found in bank templates.

Cheers for the help. I'll have to double check.

P.S. Should I send the "S.10 Data Protection Act notice - if you have been defaulted for unlawful penalties" now. Will they send me a copy of the default if I send this.

P.S. Should I send the "S.10 Data Protection Act notice - if you have been defaulted for unlawful penalties" now. Will they send me a copy of the default if I send this.

Hmm.. I don't think it will do any harm, or you can add to your letters the bit about removing the default. It depends, do what will be quickest.

• 2 weeks later...

I have gone through all my statements and have worked out I am owed roughly £450. I have a Graduate Account and have been in my overdraft for the past 3 - 4 years (typical student). When it was a Student Account, I had an interest free overdraft, but have been getting charged interest for the past couple of years since being changed to a Graduate Account. Although, the monthly interest charge isn't that much, it all adds up. Am I able to claim this back as well?

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update:

Received a letter on 22nd January from Colin Langdale saying the followong:

"I am looking into the matters you have raised and will contact you with a full response as soon as I have completed my investigations."

Sadly Colin, your 14 days are up so I will be posting my Letter Before Action on Monday.

Really good luck with this YV - they are a bunch of Potatoes and I hope you can do them for breach of contract, as I think they've treated you rather unfairly.

Dave

HSBC: Settled - Offered full refund 2 days before MCOL - £2934.50

(Thread here)

Lloyds TSB: Settled - Offered full refund 2 weeks before MCOL - £650 (Thread here)

• 2 weeks later...

14 days almost up and no reply.

Next step: Court Action.

Starting to get a bit nervous about this bit, but gonna go ahead with it.

Does it matter which one I use between the form on www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or the N1 Claim Form?

• 4 weeks later...

Finally submitted my claim on MCOL last night.

HOWEVER!!!! I received a letter today from Mr. Langdale at HSBC. Now get this, my last letter to them was posted on 30th January. His reply is dated 6th February, yet I only received it today. That's a bit suspicious for a start. The post date on the letter is the 21st February ha ha! I think they've shot themselves in the foot there.

Anyway they are offering me "£240.00 in full and final settlement". I am claiming for £326.28 (including the 8% interest). He has also added that, "We note you have added "interest" to a request for a refund. We do not accept this as appropriate." Has anyone else received a similar letter?

He also has the cheek to say I've only ten days to reply to arrange the refund. Which would have been 16th February according to his letter. Anyaway, what is your advice? I filed my claim last night so should I go ahead with it? And should I reply to HSBC saying I decline their offer as I am wanting FULL refund etc.?

Thats funny on 15th Feb I received a letter from Colin and it was postmarked 14th Feb but letter dated 5th Feb - either they are using backdating to make their response time look good or Mr Langdales secretary is so far behind typing up letters from his dictaphone she is still typing the date he says and not the date she actually gets to type it up.

Sorry YV - 3 have tried and failed to remove the poll :confused: may just vanish one day.

Write a nice letter saying you have entered your claim in the courts as you did not receive a response by the deadline ( KEEP THE ENVELOPE) you have already entered your claim.

Is the £240 the full charges amount you are reclaiming ?

Ignore the interest as this isnt applicable until court and should not have been included on your prelim/lba letters.

Cheers for trying anyway Karnevil. I am posting a letter to them today saying I have entered my claim in the courts.

The full amount I am claiming for is £286 before the 8% interest. I only added the 8% with court claim. I know what they offered me was only £40 less than what I'm claiming for, but its my money!

Now that I have filed my claim online, is it 14 days I wait now until my next action?

On the MCOL, under my claim I have the option to click either:

The defendant has not filed an admission or defence to my claim; or

The defendant admits that all the money is owed

I take it I have to wait the 14 days before I choose one?

Sorry if I should know this by now. Just want to make sure I'm doing the correct thing.

Recieved another letter from Mr. Langdale today. Pretty much the same as the last letter, offering me £240. Again, the date is way off. It is dated 15th February (18 days ago). Anyway, I've already filed my claim.

They still seem deteremined not to pay back any interest as I have an overdraft. What do you guys think?

the judgement button will not let you submit as hsbc still has time to defend!!

just hang in there and accept only as partial offer what mr langdale is offering. it's only a relatively small claim - i reckon they'll be glad to pay you out pretty soon

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

Let's hope so!