broke dave v Barclaycard or possibly the other way round?

broke dave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Originally posted on the Barclays forum, but advised it maybe better on here.

I have received a letter from a company called mackenzie hall of Kilmarnock.

They are chasing a debt of £350 on behalf of Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd. Having never heard of this company I rang mh to find out what all this was about.

They informed me that it was a Barclaycard debt which defaulted in October 1997. A couple of things at this point:

1. I did not have a barclaycard in 1997.

2. I was not banking with Barclays in 1997.

3. I did have a student account with them and a barclaycard way back in 1988. This account was closed in January 1989 when they received my grant cheque. They paid of my debts and took my cards off me. I remember this happening because it left me with just a couple of hundred pounds to live on for the rest of that term. The Bank Manager at the time thought this was highly amusing.

4. The only other time I have had a Barclays account was a couple of years ago when I approached them for a business loan. This account did not come with a barclaycard.

Questions:

1. Has anyone heard of either of these 2 companies?

2. Has anyone else been chased for a debt going back 10 to 20 years?

3. If, in fact, this debt does go back to January 1989 why has it taken so long to come to light? Why did it take 8 years and 9 months to go into default?

The nice lady at mh has suggested that it might be credit card fraud. If this is the case, why have I not heard anything from Barclays between 1997 and now? In fact I have never heard anything from Barclays.

Should I report it to the police or just fight them on my own?

Sorry to ramble on. Any ideas anyone??

broke dave v LTSB WON £3840 2 weeks before court.

Mrs broke dave v Barclays accepted offer £355.

broke dave v LTSB (Business) Prelim stage.

broke dave v LTSB (2nd Claim) LBA stage.

Have just found info required and sent letter N from this link:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Will be following up with letter M.

Anyone else having problems with this lot should have a look at this thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/111854-mackenzie-hall-trying.html

Hi BD

It takes a bit longer to get help over here than in Barclays (specially on a Bank Hol) but it will come.

Looks like you're already on the case,

Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

You're on the right track. Start off by sending them the statute barred letter. It's always preferable to send letters to DCA's by recorded delivery and not to sign any letters to them.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

As advised send the statute barred letter and make sure it goes recorded delivery. Keep a copy plus the letter MHall sent you first time round. If, after receiving your letter, Mackenzie hall continue to send you demands and make stupid, pointless threats tell them you want to make a complaint and they are to send you details of their complaints procedure.

If they do follow it until you are satisfied. If you are not satisfied or they ignore your original request shop the ignoramuses to the Financial Ombudsman. The number of postings about this sham of a company in recent days suggests they will be very popular with the FOS in the next few months.

Slick,

Cheers - good to see you around.

Rory,

SAR already sent and signed - whoops;) . No worries, thet can't use a copy of the signature - it has changed and I can prove it:D .

NP,

Excellent advice as always. SB letter will be sent on Wednesday; I like to keep people busy. (Might also get different replies!)