annoying pop up when logging in

Guest louis wu
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5926 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest louis wu

Is anyone else getting an pop up to a U.S. website called themagic?

I have no idea how/why I am getting it, but it's really getting on my nerves now.

Any ideas?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest louis wu

careful:(, people already think I'm Chinese:-), so don't encourage them to think I'm a woman....that's just too much

if that's all I need to do, then I will simply wait for the kids to get home, and ask them to do it:)

oh you big Wu ss LOL

google ad aware, it is free, and download it and run it

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Guest louis wu

spyware....adware...way over my head:???:

oh you big Wu ss LOL

Yes, guilty as charged lol

Taken from one of my C&P's

To make sure everything is running fine run both anti virus and anti spyware apps in normal AND safe modes. (make sure that they are updated first ! ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)

(A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

Also an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

Just a note: actively running two AV's on one machine can cause problems.

So if you are thinking about it make sure your current one is disabled first.

Same thing applies to online scanners as well.

Removal of junk files is easy with CCleaner a free app that does exactly that

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Guest louis wu

thank you all for the help, looks like I've got some techie catching up to do:eek:

It's all just geek speak to me ... I'll have to get hubby to sort it out for me.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Guest louis wu
It's all just geek speak to me ... .

You have no idea how good it is to know I'm not the only one:grin:

...and I bet you're all using IE?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Guest louis wu
...and I bet you're all using IE?

nobody like a know-all Dave:)

Yes, still IE. I keep flirting with Firefox, but scared in the knowledge that if it 'goes wrong' I wouldn't have a clue how to fix it, and then I'd be left with nothing, which means NO CAG...and I simply couldn't cope without that.

but scared in the knowledge that if it 'goes wrong' I wouldn't have a clue how to fix it

There's nothing that can go wrong with FireFox that couldn't also go wrong with IE, indeed, IE is more likely to fall apart than FF.

and then I'd be left with nothing

When you install FireFox, it simply gets added to your PC as your default browser. You don't uninstall IE, and can go back to using it at any time. You can even run both simultaneously, should you so desire.

Guest louis wu
There's nothing that can go wrong with FireFox that couldn't also go wrong with IE, indeed, IE is more likely to fall apart than FF.

It was more the thoughts of it going wrong when I was setting it up, and then IE going wrong leaving me wondering how I could have been so stupid

When you install FireFox, it simply gets added to your PC as your default browser. You don't uninstall IE, and can go back to using it at any time. You can even run both simultaneously, should you so desireTo be honest, this was the number one issue that has stopped me. Okay, so now to find the link and give it a go.

Going to have lunch, then install firefox. Thanks for the help

All of it.

When it comes to anything technical, i need it broken down into very small, simple to understand details.

Just pretend you are speaking to a small child or someone who works in robinson way's call centre.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

OK

>Dummy Mode ON

1/ follow this link and download CCleaner : Download CCleaner 2.05.555 - filehippo.com

2/ install and run it accepting the defaults.

3/ start at the top and work your way down (this will make sense once it's installed)

4/ Follow this link and download Spybot: FileForum | Spybot Search and Destroy

5/ install and run it accepting the defaults.

6/ start at the top and work your way down (this will make sense once it's installed)

That should resolve the problem.

CCleaner removes juk files from your system and registry keeping everything nice and clean.

Spybot is one of the best anti-spyware programs about.

Best of all they are both FREE.

• Haha 1

I will give it a try after I stop having baked beans thrown at me by little Tiglet (perhaps I should get her to install it for me?).

I'll come back if I get too confused.

For FireFox:

1) Visit HERE and click on the green download button.

2) Run the file you've downloaded and keep everything at default. Firefox will automatically grab all of your favourites and links from IE and replicate them for you.

3) Start using FireFox.

As you get more confident with FireFox, you can begin to customise it to suit your tastes.

This Link will allow you to install new skins and themes.

This Link will allow you to add extra features to FireFox, all installed with one simple click.

Some highly recommended basic add-ons are Update Notifier, NoScript, PDF Downloader, AdBlock, and TabBrowser Preferences. For the slightly more technically minded, I can also recommend Aardvark, Web Developer, IE Tab, CSS Validator, and, finally, User Agent Switcher.

For those concerned about change, remember that FireFox doesn't touch your installation of IE. You won't loose IE, can go back to it at any time, and even run both browsers at once if you choose.

Guest louis wu

Well, I've just downloaded Firefox, and can't believe how easy it was.

It's taking a bit of time to get used to, with toolbars etc, but it doesn't look like it's going to be a problem getting it the way I want it.

I've just downloaded the CAG firefox toolbar, and although I'm not sure what it does yet, no doubt I will find it an improvement.

Going to have a little play with it now...the firefox I mean.

Bookie I think your getting slightly confused here.

Tracking cookies are, on the whole, harmless.

As the name suggests it is merely the calling card from the sites you visit.

What causes the most problems is IE ActiveX controls and other "drive by" sources of infection used by IE.