annoying pop up when logging in

Guest louis wu
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5917 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've done it!!!! Go me!!!!

(Feeling very proud of myself - Thanks CB for engaging dummy mode ;) )

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You beat me to it Curly.

Cookies are just text files, most are there just to stop you having to log in every time you visiti a site (i.e. this one does the same, it keeps your name, your login and your encrypted password). When you click on "remember me" tick-boxes, it just means that it will keep that info in a cookie for you.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Indeed, Dave. Benign cookies have nothing to do with IE's comparative inability to protect you from online threats.

As CurlyBen quite rightly says, IE's ActiveX is a major - if not the single biggest - cause of unsolicited spyware / malware (and sometimes worse) getting onto your PC.

FireFox's code is fundamentally different. It is not that it has the same weaknesses as IE but deals with them better, but rather that it does not have these weaknesses to begin with.

It is simply a superior browser.

Quite right. If IE actually complied with the W3c standards, then I suppose it would be worth putting up with the security threats, but as it stands (and I'm told IE7 is getting closer to supporting the standards), for me at least, it's just not worth using. Not that I actually could use it any more, as I ditched Windows some time ago.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

I only have IE installed for web development work, when I need to be sure my websites will look the same in IE as they do in real browsers.

It has to be said, for W3C, IE stands alone in the range of browsers as being the only one that often seriously mangles - or worse, ignores - standard code. I've never had to write patch code for any other browser.

Guest louis wu

Ok, have got firefox working, and got the CAG toolbar. What I haven't got is any of the buttons/options when I try to post a message (things like bold/underline/italics, colours, smilies etc). Have I done something wrong, or more to the point, what do I do to get them back.

go to View, Toolbar, make sure that the Navigation, Google and Cag toolbars are ticked

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Guest louis wu

I knew this would happen. Navigation and CAG toolbars are ticked. No google option to tick, but not bothered by that. Next, I thought I would look at the CAG bar, as a big red circle has appeared. It tells me I have not logged in, and to go to the options menu to log in. Entered my user name and password....nothing happens. So press it again and my password (all in xxxx's) is about 30 characters long. Still no buttons, and worse, the text is coming out like this (in one lock block) instead of the paragraphs I am typing. HELP

Go back to IE7. :-D

That seems like an inordinate price to pay.

loius wu, can you post a screenshot?

------------

------------

Go back to IE7. :grin:
Why return to the nest once you've learned to fly?

Indeed. I personally don't use the CAG toolbar plugin, but I've just done a test install and it works perfectly.

It also seems to work perfectly for other users, and the thread for it reports none of the issues described, so it's rather looking like something unique to louis' system is causing this issue.

Perhaps a screenshot will help...

Hmm - have installed everything I was told to install and have just had the pop-up again when I logged on - any advice, anyone?

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Search for Ad-aware free edition and install it. It used to work wonders for me.

------------

------------

Also when you are running CCleaner, Spybot and Adaware make sure they are the ONLY things running.

Close ALL browsers, e-mail and IM clients.

If you are still having a problem then reboot and run them again.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Should they actually stop the pop-ups from happening? Or just protect your computer from any adverse effects?

Tigs!!! download adaware and run it once aweek and it will get rid of all the spyware on your pc, you too Louis :-)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

I've downloaded EVERYTHING - still getting pop-ups, but hopefully nothing nasty will happen to my PC from closing them.

soyou have ran adaware and deleted what it showed you?

if so, re boot your pc

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

I've downloaded EVERYTHING - still getting pop-ups, but hopefully nothing nasty will happen to my PC from closing them.

If you are getting this popup even when surfing CAG, which I don't believe uses advertising popups, then the problem is that you have something nasty running resident on your system.

The programs mentioned by CurlyBen and others should remove this issue, but may not take effect until after you reboot your PC.

Guest louis wu
That seems like an inordinate price to pay.

I thought I had better have a look at this before moaning about it. Have managed (I think) to solve the problem by right clicking and clicking the 'allow cag' icon.

Simple for most, but really had me scratching my head. Still, all seems ok now, will persevere with the 'odd' layout (a few things in different places), and hopefully experience all the other benefits in time.

louis