style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3440 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have just rented out my garage to a chap to store his car that has been damaged in a motoring accident and is SORN.

Please can anyone advise me accordingly as I have never let out a garage before and was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of or any potential problems, such as having a sitting tenant?

I havent drafted up a contract yet but I have seen proof of address and intend to draft one up shortly and drop it round.

I have had the first month's rent up front and we have agreed an initial period of three months.

Any help/ advice greatly appreciated

K regards

BB

Hi all,

I have just rented out my garage to a chap to store his car that has been damaged in a motoring accident and is SORN.

Please can anyone advise me accordingly as I have never let out a garage before and was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of or any potential problems, such as having a sitting tenant?

I havent drafted up a contract yet but I have seen proof of address and intend to draft one up shortly and drop it round.

I have had the first month's rent up front and we have agreed an initial period of three months.

K regar

BB

There could be insurance problems, if anything should happen to the vehicle whilst on your property. Will it be stored will fuel still in the tank, possible leaks/ electrical faults/damaged car = fire.

Edited by Conniff
Complete formatting

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi all,

K regar

BB[/quote

There could be insurance problems, if anything should happen to the vehicle whilst on your property. Will it be stored will fuel still in the tank, possible leaks/ electrical faults/damaged car = fire.

wow very good point, thanks yes I will follow up on this one...

wow very good point, thanks yes I will follow up on this one...

Best to be cautious! Tank emptied and vented, battery discon or removed.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

So far people have only considered if car damages your property.

What if your chip pan fire burns house & garage down, destroying car in process?

Will your house insurance cover loss of the car?

I think you may need a disclaimer eg 'car left at owner's risk', if not an 'unfair term'.

SORN vehicles do not require continuous insurance.

So far people have only considered if car damages your property.

What if your chip pan fire burns house & garage down, destroying car in process?

Will your house insurance cover loss of the car?

I think you may need a disclaimer eg 'car left at owner's risk', if not an 'unfair term'.

SORN vehicles do not require continuous insurance.

Either the written disclaimer or the owner provides checkable proof that the car is insured.

What happens if the person doesn't pay the rent.

From personal knowledge, a plan to repair a damaged car eventually becomes a burden to be ignored once the cost, effort and bureacracy of the job is recognised.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems that your rights, should the guy give up his plain and fade away, can be constrained. One reads about these people who find someone has parked on their driveway while they go on holiday and cannot move the car without risk of liability!

• 2 weeks later...
What happens if the person doesn't pay the rent.

From personal knowledge, a plan to repair a damaged car eventually becomes a burden to be ignored once the cost, effort and bureacracy of the job is recognised.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems that your rights, should the guy give up his plain and fade away, can be constrained. One reads about these people who find someone has parked on their driveway while they go on holiday and cannot move the car without risk of liability!

Hi there this is a good point which did not come to mind. If this worst case scenario was to happen and the chap was to leave his car and not pay the rent (ie a sitting tenant) would I be able to claim right over his motor as he has breached the contract by not paying. Just to let you know there is a contract however the contract terms stipulate no such thing.

Regards

BB

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

the garage tenant has left the garage after two months.

There is an oil spill near the front of the garage where oil has been leaking, it is nothing major however is not the condition the garage was let initially.

Can someone advise me accordingly.

Regards

BB

Forget it, if that's all it is and you have been paid the rent.

IMHO not worth the stress or hassle of pursuing?

fair play yes this is what I was thinking just thought I'd throw it out there for a second opinion.

Many thanks for taking the time to confirm this

K regards

BB