Jump to content

Showing results for tags 'renting'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • The Consumer Forums: The Mall
    • Welcome to the Consumer Forums
    • FAQs
    • Forum Rules - Please read before posting
    • Consumer Forums website - Post Your Questions & Suggestions about this site
    • Helpful Organisations
    • The Bear Garden – for off-topic chat
  • CAG Community centre
    • CAG Community Centre Subforums:-
  • Consumer TV/Radio Listings
    • Consumer TV and Radio Listings
  • CAG Library - Please register
    • CAG library Subforums
  • Banks, Loans & Credit
    • Bank and Finance Subforums:
    • Other Institutions
  • Retail and Non-retail Goods and Services
    • Non-Retail subforums
    • Retail Subforums
  • Work, Social and Community
    • Work, Social and Community Subforums:
  • Debt problems - including homes/ mortgages, PayDay Loans
    • Debt subforums:
    • PayDay loan and other Short Term Loans subforum:
  • Motoring
    • Motoring subforums
  • Legal Forums
    • Legal Issues subforums


  • News from the National Consumer Service
  • News from the Web


  • A Say in the Life of .....
  • Debt Diaries
  • Shopping & Money Saving Tips
  • chilleddrivingtuition
  • Homegirlxx


  • The Youth Academy
    • The Youth Consumer Service
  • Miscellaneous

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



About Me


  1. Hi We moved in to our rented property at Christmas 2017. We both work from home and took the property based on being able to do just that. My fiancé has a photography studio set up here with regular clients coming to the house. In May we found out that the neighbours had sold a patch of their garden to a builder who is now building a house on the land. The noise is unbearable, we are woken up every morning at 7 and we can't use the garden because of the noise and dust. The neighbours are also having their remaining garden paved by a separate company who also make noise from 7am. To
  2. Good morning Caggers, I am wondering if someone can help me out with a bit of an issue to do with lease of a retail kiosk. Back in February of this year I rented a retail kiosk from my local council which was in a High Street but was classed as within the local market. I was selling cut flowers and plants. This was a completely new venture and basically took all spare money I had to set up and it looked really good. The problem started about a month after I opened when the market manager (council run market) allowed a huge plant and flower stall to pitch up a fe
  3. Hi everyone I don't think there is anything can be done aboit this situation but I thought I would ask. My daughter booked a last minute caravan break at the weekend from a private owner who rents her caravan on a caravan site. She paid £50 bond and £40 per night for four nights. The caravan was not like the photo's she advertised as the pictures must have been from a few years ago. The van was dirty, loose electric radiators propped against the wall, fridge seemed warm, flooring a trip hazard, these are just a few things as the list is endless. My daughter took photo's
  4. Hi long story short. ive been made redundant. I do not plan on being jobless for long but in the interim regarding universal credit, im currently renting a room, question being,would it be problematic for the landlord?
  5. Hello, Hopefully someone can provide some solid advice! We agreed and signed for a property after viewing on the agreement from the management agent that various jobs would be completed prior to our official move in date. Upon picking up the keys we went to check the property again to ensure these had been done - none of the jobs had been other than cutting the grass. Upon further examination it also turned out that: - There were no electrics - There was no hot water - No heating - No smoke alarms - No CO2 alarms - Property not cleaned as agreed (to the point there ar
  6. What information is required by an Agency if someone wants to rent a flat/property ? My niece was asked for : Passport Driving Licence 6 months pay slips Employers Reference 6 months bank statements Utility Bills She was then charged £400.00 for the agency not showing anyone round the flat she was interested in whilst they were doing credit checks? Surely these take no time at all now? She was also advised that should the credit check not be satisfactory - then she would lose the £400.00 anyway? All this was aside from the 2 months rent in advance.
  7. Hello All I wonder if anyone can advise on my daughters situation please. She is 18 and in her first year at university. Against our advice she ditched her student accommodation to move in with her boyfriend in his flat. The boyfriend's dad owns the flat that they live in and they rent it from him. They have an assured shorthold tenancy for a furnished flat for 12 months (Jan 1st 2017 - Jan 1st 2018) Both their names are printed on the tenancy but only my daughters signature is on there for some reason which I find strange. They have now spilt up and th
  8. Back in August I moved into a 2 bedroom flat that was sold to me as a 2 bedroom self contained flat. The landlady is now beginning to cause me some issues. She keeps referring to me as a lodger, and the 'Lodgers Agreement'. True, I do have a lodgers agreement, but she does not live in the property. The landlady is getting shirty with me having people round, namely, I have begun dating someone, and she has an issue with him staying. She was quite vile to him the other day, and made reference to the fact that he is 'moving in'. This is not true, he occasionally stays over as we
  9. Hi all, Am renting part of a car park from the Council, they are about to renew the Lease and increase it by 110%, can they do this? I would really appreciate some help on this one. Thanks in anticipation
  10. Hi, For over 4 years now I have rented a small warehouse. I have never seen or ever signed a contract and have been paying the rent firstly via a caretaker and then weekly via BACS to the landlord bank account. A couple of weeks ago they emailed me saying I was a couple about a month behind with the rent and now wanted the money paid monthly in advanced, I replied saying I would be able to clear any arrears in about a month but would not be able to pay monthly in advanced. This evening I received an email saying they wanted me out of the unit as soon as possible and have th
  11. Recently on this forum there have been one or two posts regarding renting from relatives. I was on Scoop and saw this story and thought I would share it to you all for more detail see here http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/12945046.Benefit_cheat_ordered_to_pay_back___42k____after_she_was_caught_claiming_for_her_mum_s_house/ Story from here: http://www.scoop.it/t/lacef-news
  12. Govan Law Centre has launched a campaign which it hopes will give a voice to people in the private rent sector and lead to reforms. Staff from the service which provides free legal support are holding street stalls throughout the city as part of the lottery funded research project. They hope tenants who have had problems with landlords will come forward and tell their story. READ MORE HERE: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/law-centre-campaign-to-help-tenants-203848n.123407248 More info Here from GLC: http://govanlc.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/govan-law-centre-endorses-liv
  13. Hi, We rented a property during 2013 for £695 per month, in the contract it stated about the renewal and the increases would be 3% making it £715 for the second year etc. Anyway. the landlord at the expiry of the first year term decided not to issue us a tenancy agreement via the letting agent but instead use one of the templates purchased from Staples. This year he has decided to go back using the agent and now wants £750.00 per month. 1st Year £695 2nd Year £715 3rd Year £736 (Landlord now wanting £750) so my question is this, the first agreement was a fully deta
  14. Hi My neighbor's son and his friend have for the last year been renting with a private landlord who is now selling house. They were going to rent together again, but his friend changed his mind last week. Come Wednesday next week the neighbor's son will be homeless, and is friend he was renting with who owns a one bedroom flat which he was renting out is going back to it. The major problem is in late 2014 my neighbor's son (I don't want to go into the ins and outs) ended up with a electronic monitoring tag for homegrown for himself. He cannot afford to find a lump some to take
  15. Hi all, I have just rented out my garage to a chap to store his car that has been damaged in a motoring accident and is SORN. Please can anyone advise me accordingly as I have never let out a garage before and was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of or any potential problems, such as having a sitting tenant? I havent drafted up a contract yet but I have seen proof of address and intend to draft one up shortly and drop it round. I have had the first month's rent up front and we have agreed an initial period of three months. Any help/ advice greatly appre
  16. hi there I am renting a white Van to help a friend move some bits. I am going to be the name driver and liable for the hired van. The cost is £65 for the day and has an excess of £500 on it. The people at the van hire company have mentioned I can reduce the excess on the vehicle to £100 if I pay an extra £15. Do people think this is worth it? Additionally are there any other things to bear in mind when renting a van? Thanks for the help BB
  17. Lived in Private Rented Housing for 17 years,and recently was advised by the Land Agent that my £900 deposit was being transferred into renting housing deposit scheme as required by recent changes in the law,and the amount being transferred was the £900 deposit +£427 interest,which is very nice however,it is unclear as to whether I can ask for the interest element to be paid to me now as a one off payment Any idea's Thanks FS
  18. Evening, Is it true that letting agencies cannot do a thorough check like a bank and only see CCJ's and other similar marks on your report? Or Do they only look for those? I read somewhere they cannot access the defaults on an account. Looking to rent but have a few defaults. Hopefully I'll find somewhere.
  19. Hello I'd really appreciate your input please. I vacated the property on 2nd May 2014( after 3 years of renting). Rent was paid up to the 5th. I kept the terms of the tenancy agreement, prompt notice given and rent paid. I turned the keys in on time, cleaned the property, however, did not manage to cut the grass (grass was not cut when we moved in anyway) as left it too late and the bad weather prevented me from doing it on the last day. On 6th May 2011 I paid rental deposit, that I was told was protected by My Deposits scheme. The copy of the certificate I still have, look
  20. Hi need some urgent advice. I ‘m currently in a dire situation, I’m looking for a single room in London. I’m going through a divorce. My ex- partner threw me out the house. That doesn’t really concern me. I’m working at the moment and can pay three months rent no problem. Thing is if I get the property (single room, shared bathroom kitchen etc) and I lose my work as it’s a short term thing, can I claim housing benefit, until my next project? I have never been on housing benefit before but it looks like I may have to once this project comes to an end, in three months
  21. Moving to your own place? If you’re renting for the first time follow Shelter’s top tips to avoid the common pitfalls. http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/young_people_leaving_home_and_finding_a_place/young_people_dealing_with_housing_problems/top_tips_for_first_time_renters?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=first_time_renters_h3&utm_campaign=february_advice
  22. Hello there, after getting great advice on my first question I posted here, I thought I'd see what advice I can get with this issue I'm having! I've been renting an apartment for 6 months and the tenancy is due to be renewed at the end of this month, I thought I would just have to phone them up to say I would like to stay another 6 months, but they said I have to come in, and then pay them £99 for mine and the landlords "security"... Is this the letting agency trying to claw more agency fees? If so, is there anything I can say to not have to pay? Thanks a lot in advance
  23. I currently receive ESA, DLA and housing benefit for a long-standing disability. My savings have amounted to £6,500 (which i have declared) and thus my ESA is gradually going down by £1 a week for every £250 increment, hence i thought i would invest the money in a buy-to-let. How would this affect my benefits?? I imagine after all deductions from the rent, i would receive around £200 a month NET. The obvious goal is to become self-sufficient in a gradual move away from benefits over the long term. Advice is greatly appreciated, as the benefits helpline no longer exists. Thank yo
  24. I was wanting some advice. My husband and I have come back from abroad. We are trying to find a place to live, a relative has offered us somewhere but this has thrown up more problems than it solves. She is renting from an estate agent, but doesn't indicate that we will be signing any sort of contract (we need a contract or we can't have anything towards rent) There is still alot of things in the appartment, cat pee and so on, which we would be responsible for. What should we be asking for before moving in? Our moving in is helping them out, but we do feel like we will be w
  25. Hi I am on ESA and they contribute towards my mortgage. last week i had the bailiffs round to collect my council tax arrears. I have been ill the last 4 years and really down to juggling debts. last year i had possession order slapped on me by the Building society and managed to just sort that out and i thought i was just getting my self together, when two months ago i had another relapse and missed a couple of payments on my council tax arrears. one of my friends suggested that i rent out my rooms. i am so broke that any additional money would really help. The bailiff visit last week just t
  • Create New...