• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advertising with Community Network

Jumlajo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4157 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My story goes like this – I owned a small one person business, which was struggling and so when in November last year a cold caller arrived and proceeded to sell me some advertising on a plasma screen in the local post office I thought it was a good idea. I signed up with them and paid the deposit, the balance to be paid by direct debit on a monthly basis. The advert was to display for 20 seconds in each sequence. The company is the Community Network UK part of the MIS Group.

At the time of purchasing the advertising I was considering putting the business on the market and I asked if I sold the business and the new owners did not want the advertising would it be possible to cancel the contract and the salesman said in certain circumstances it would.

A few months later I was in the post office and noticed that my advertisement was a mere flash on the screen (less than the 20 seconds stated in the contract) in some of the sequences, but did not appear at all in others. I contacted the customer services and it was established that the advert had not been displaying correctly for 4 months, they acknowledged this and said it was due to human error. They said they would rectify this and add 4 months onto the contract. The advertisement would run until May 2012, but my payments would stop in November 2011.

In my letter to them I asked whether due to the fact that the product was faulty and I was in the throes of selling the business would they terminate the contract, cancel the direct debit, they could keep the deposit paid, and we would call it a day. They would not do this.

A while later I was again in the post office and this time the screens were not working at all, they remained like this for some 3 weeks. I monitored this on an almost daily basis.

After long protracted negotiations the business was not sold. I then decided the best thing was to close the business down as it was not generating sufficient income. It was decided to carry on until the end of the particular month and then close the doors.

Once again during that month I visited the post office and once again the screens were not working. When I enquired at the post office I was told that they had not been working for some time, and when I asked who was in charge they said no-one.

I have written to the company on several occasions and asked them due to the fact that their product had not been operating correctly and the fact that I had now closed the business down would they please cancel the contract, however they are adamant that the contract should continue to the end.

I visited one of the other advertisers and they were not even aware that the screens in the post office had not been working.

My thoughts on this are, am I the only one who is having a problem with this? How many other businesses out there are paying monthly for advertisements that are not actually happening? How does this company monitor whether their equipment is operating correctly and who in actual fact is in charge? Whose job is it to make sure that the screens are operating? And how does the company administer this? Because surely in my case all the companies who advertise at that particular post office are due time added onto the end of the contract.

Would they contact the business and say ... “err sorry but we have had technical problems and your advertisement has not been shown for x number of days we are therefore adding x number of days onto the end of your contract.” I somehow think not!

I would urge anyone thinking of advertising with this company to read the contract thoroughly, before committing their hard earned cash. And for those who are already signed up to monitor and actually see whether what they have paid for is actually happening.

The contract is an automatic renewable contract for 3 years, unless you give them 18 months notice that you do not want it to continue. There are no break clauses, and they state that should there be a problem they will add time onto the end of the contract. It seems they have well and truly sewn up the contract.

Could anyone out there advise me the best way forward with this issue, I do not have a business to advertise any longer, I do not want to advertise any other business and I do not wish to continue paying for something that does not work properly? Quite frankly this is a complete rip off and certainly did not do what it was supposed to do – bring customers to my business!

Sounds like they did not uphold the contract and so you could (and perhaps should) terminate it, stop the direct debits. What is the exact legal position of your company? I take it you are paying from a company account and not your personal one?

Have you complained to the Advertising Standards Authority? http://asa.org.uk/Complaints-and-ASA-action/How-to-complain.aspx

Thank you for your reply. I am a sole trader paying from a business account. According to the terms and conditions the contract cannot be terminated by me, and if I default they will add £25 on every time. I have been to the Trading Standards and they advised to write to them as they were in breach of contract, however they still maintain that the contract has to continue to the end.

If you or anyone has any ideas how this can be resolved without me having to default I really would appreciate it. I will have a look at the advertising standards.

I would suggest making notes of those dates and times you witnessed the screen not working. Ask the post office staff how many times someone from the advertising company comes in to check the screen, ask them if they are aware of it breaking down and how often does it occur, and take note of their names if you can. Even photograph the screen surreptitiously without anyone in the PO seeing when the links are down etc so you have some kind of evidence to support your claim if necessary.

In the terms and conditions, does it state what happens in the event the company are unable to supply the service for x amount of time - maybe there is something there about if unable to supply for x amount of days, refunds and what have you come into place? What about the maintenance of the screen, what does it say about that?

I think the Trading Standards must be sleeping, aren't they supposed to safeguard your interests as much as anyone else’s? How would it be if you were to write to Trading Standards, listing those occasions you have personally witnessed the screen not working or the advertisement you paid for not staying on for the correct length of time etc and making a formal complaint against the company for not providing the service paid for etc? Again this adds to evidence in case needed.

From OFT site:

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) says a contract is considered unfair if it 'causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations under the contract to the detriment of the consumer'

Have you also considered the small claims court if your costs for this service is under 5k?

They seem to have breached their contract and as such are not providing you with the service you were led to expect. Contract or no, if a service provider fails time and again to provide, then the contract becomes null and void, as far as I understand the law but I am a mere layperson.

My own personal feeling would be to suggest a stiff letter from your solicitor if all else fails detailing the times the service has broken down and despite all your communications with the company, detailing their constant refusal to honour their agreement of contract in providing you with the standard of service you were led to expect etc.

However I would wait for someone with legal know how to come along and answer your queries more fully.

• 2 years later...

Hi Jumlajo,

Firstly, if they add £25 charges to your a/c, these are unlawful penalties which are not enforceable in law. It's the same principles that apply to credit card penalty charges for example.

Secondly, you are bound by the terms of the contract that you signed, regardless of whether your business still trades or not. I assume you signed personally so it is you who remains responsible for payments.

However, it seems clear from all you've said that Commty Ntwk has failed to provide the services that you're paying for. You have contacted them repeatedly and they have failed repeatedly to resolve matters so your ad is not being displayed as agreed.

If this was me, I would write to them briefly outlining all the issues, with dates you saw the PO ads not working at all or only flashing up for xx seconds. Say they've failed to supply the service which you paid for and they've failed to rectify problems promptly when you reported the issues. Tell them you are cancelling the DD mandate on the basis of their breach of contract. Before you do this, you could seek advice from a free solicitor consultation (check locally to see who offers this), from the CAB or from Consumer Direct.

You should also report the matter to local Trading Standards.

Hopefully, you have copies of all letters about this matter. Monitor the situation for the next week at the PO and make notes of your findings if this backs up your case. You could also get together with other advertisers and exchange views and experiences.

Commty Ntwk will no doubt threaten to do all sorts of nasty things and may pass the matter on to a DCA who may threaten court action. If the matter went to court, you would have every opportunity to defend and your chances of success will be improved by having video evidence, copies of all letters and possibly using the Postmaster as a witness to confirm the equipment was not serviced when faulty.

Keep us posted please.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 1 month later...

Hi PhillipF and welcome to CAG.

I'm certain you have a good case for seeking a full refund of any deposit that was paid in anticipation of your services being advertised locally as agreed.

I'd give them 14 days to refund in full due to their breach of contract.

Failing that, write a Letter Before Action giving them a final 14 days to refund, after which start a court claim via CCMCC Salford.

Send the Prelim and the LBA by Rec'd Del'y.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4157 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks