• Tweets

• S13 (2)The creditor may not exercise the right under paragraph 4 to recover from the keeper any unpaid parking charges specified in the notice to keeper if, within the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which that notice was given, the creditor is given— (a)a statement signed by or on behalf of the vehicle-hire firm to the effect that at the material time the vehicle was hired to a named person under a hire agreement; (b)a copy of the hire agreement; and (c)a copy of a statement of liability signed by the hirer under that hire agreement. As  Arval has complied with the above they cannot be pursued by EC----- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- S14 [1]   the creditor may recover those charges (so far as they remain unpaid) from the hirer. (2)The conditions are that— (a)the creditor has within the relevant period given the hirer a notice in accordance with sub-paragraph (5) (a “notice to hirer”), together with a copy of the documents mentioned in paragraph 13(2) and the notice to keeper; (b)a period of 21 days beginning with the day on which the notice to hirer was given has elapsed;  As ECP did not send copies of the documents to your company and they have given 28 days instead of 21 days they have failed to comply with  the Act so you and your Company are absolved from paying. That is not to say that they won't continue asking to be paid as they do not have the faintest idea how PoFA works. 
    • Euro have got a lot wrong and have failed to comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  According to Section 13 after ECP have written to Arval they should then send a NTH to the Hirer  which they have done.This eliminates Arval from any further pursuit by ECP. When they wrote to your company they should have sent copies of everything that they asked Arval for. This is to prove that your company agree what happened on the day of the breach. If ECP then comply with the Act they are allowed to pursue the hirer. If they fail, to comply they cannot make the hirer pay. They can pursue until they are blue in the face but the Hirer is not lawfully required to pay them and if it went to Court ECP would lose. Your company could say who was driving but the only person that can be pursued is the Hirer, there does not appear to be an extension for a driver to be pursued. Even if there was, because ECP have failed miserably to comply with the Act  they still have no chance of winning in Court. Here are the relevant Hire sections from the Act below.
    • Thank-you FTMDave for your feedback. May I take this opportunity to say that after reading numerous threads to which you are a contributor, I have great admiration for you. You really do go above and beyond in your efforts to help other people. The time you put in to help, in particular with witness statements is incredible. I am also impressed by the way in which you will defer to others with more experience should there be a particular point that you are not 100% clear on and return with answers or advice that you have sought. I wish I had the ability to help others as you do. There is another forum expert that I must also thank for his time and patience answering my questions and allowing me to come to a “penny drops” moment on one particular issue. I believe he has helped me immensely to understand and to strengthen my own case. I shall not mention who it is here at the moment just in case he would rather I didn't but I greatly appreciate the time he took working through that issue with me. I spent 20+ years of working in an industry that rules and regulations had to be strictly adhered to, indeed, exams had to be taken in order that one had to become qualified in those rules and regulations in order to carry out the duties of the post. In a way, such things as PoFA 2012 are rules and regulations that are not completely alien to me. It has been very enjoyable for me to learn these regulations and the law surrounding them. I wish I had found this forum years ago. I admit that perhaps I had been too keen to express my opinions given that I am still in the learning process. After a suitable period in this industry I became Qualified to teach the rules and regulations and I always said to those I taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. If opinions, theories and observations are put forward, discussion can take place and as long as the result is that the student is able to clearly see where they went wrong and got to that moment where the penny drops then that is a valuable learning experience. No matter how experienced one is, there is always something to learn and if I did not know the answer to a question, I would say, I don't know the answer to that question but I will go and find out what the answer is. In any posts I have made, I have stated, “unless I am wrong” or “as far as I can see” awaiting a response telling me what I got wrong, if it was wrong. If I am wrong I am only too happy to admit it and take it as a valuable learning experience. I take the point that perhaps I should not post on other peoples threads and I shall refrain from doing so going forward. 🤐 As alluded to, circumstances can change, FTMDave made the following point that it had been boasted that no Caggers, over two years, who had sent a PPC the wrong registration snotty letter, had even been taken to court, let alone lost a court hearing .... but now they have. I too used the word "seemed" because it is true, we haven't had all the details. After perusing this forum I believe certain advice changed here after the Beavis case, I could be wrong but that is what I seem to remember reading. Could it be that after winning the above case in question, a claimant could refer back to this case and claim that a defendant had not made use of the appeal process, therefore allowing the claimant to win? Again, in this instance only, I do not know what is to be gained by not making an appeal or concealing the identity of the driver, especially if it is later admitted that the defendant was the driver and was the one to input the incorrect VRN in error. So far no one has educated me as to the reason why. But, of course, when making an appeal, it should be worded carefully so that an error in the appeal process cannot be referred back to. I thought long and hard about whether or not to post here but I wanted to bring up this point for discussion. Yes, I admit I have limited knowledge, but does that mean I should have kept silent? After I posted that I moved away from this forum slightly to find other avenues to increase my knowledge. I bought a law book and am now following certain lawyers on Youtube in the hope of arming myself with enough ammunition to use in my own case. In one video titled “7 Reasons You Will LOSE Your Court Case (and how to avoid them)” by Black Belt Barrister I believe he makes my point by saying the following, and I quote: “If you ignore the complaint in the first instance and it does eventually end up in court then it's going to look bad that you didn't co-operate in the first place. The court is not going to look kindly on you simply ignoring the company and not, let's say, availing yourself of any kind of appeal opportunities, particularly if we are talking about parking charge notices and things like that.” This point makes me think that, it is not such a bizarre judgement in the end. Only in the case of having proof of payment and inputting an incorrect VRN .... could it be worthwhile making a carefully worded appeal in the first instance? .... If the appeal fails, depending on the reason, surely this could only help if it went to court? As always, any feedback gratefully received.
    • To which official body does one make a formal complaint about a LPA fixed charge receiver? Does one make a complaint first to the company employing the appointed individuals?    Or can one complain immediately to an official body, such as nara?    I've tried researching but there doesn't seem a very clear route on how to legally hold them to account for wrongful behaviour.  It seems frustratingly complicated because they are considered to be officers of the court and held in high esteem - and the borrower is deemed liable for their actions.  Yet what does the borrower do when disclosure shows clear evidence of wrong-doing? Does anyone have any pointers please?
    • Steam is still needed in many industries, but much of it is still made with fossil fuels.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Penalty charges for late rent payment?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6400 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This hasn't actually happened to me but I was having a look at my lease and it states that if rent payment is over 3 days late then the landlord will start adding charges onto the sum owed. If it did actually happen would I be able to claim them back or argue the case for not paying the charges in a similar way to reclaiming bank charges?

RBS:

Data Protection Act request sent 6/6/06

Prelim sent 23/6/06 - no response

LBA sent 10/7/06

This hasn't actually happened to me but I was having a look at my lease and it states that if rent payment is over 3 days late then the landlord will start adding charges onto the sum owed. If it did actually happen would I be able to claim them back or argue the case for not paying the charges in a similar way to reclaiming bank charges?

I imagine you would, but the landlord perhaps has a better chance than a bank does of proving that he has incurred a cost.

For example, if you paid him late and he incurred bank charges as a result, it would be cut and dried that he had incurred a cost, namely those charges.

I doubt if you'd get anywhere in a small claims court arguing that he should sue to get those charges back either....

Not only that if you were then successful the landlord would probably get the last laugh by giving you 2 months notice to get out.

It really is very very hard to win with landlords, most of whom aint exactly nice people who give a monkeys about their tenants (there are exceptions but not many!)

Not only that if you were then successful the landlord would probably get the last laugh by giving you 2 months notice to get out.

It really is very very hard to win with landlords, most of whom aint exactly nice people who give a monkeys about their tenants (there are exceptions but not many!)

Seems like a sweeping generalisation. I am a landlord of 2 properties and I myself rent another one in which to live, and I am exceedingly nice to a fault both as a tenant and as a landlord :-)

If you were late paying rent and a landlord did start adding charges, I would challenge them immediately by asking for a breakdown of how they were arrived at. If any of the breakdown included things like 'management time' I would further ask to see the basis on which this time has been costed.

Your deposit belongs to you and the presumption is that you get it all back unless the landlord can prove something has suffered from more than reasonable wear and tear. It's not, as I understand it, for you to prove that it hasn't, it's for him to prove that it has.

The only time I've ever deducted anything from a tenant's deposit was when they had used a brillo pad on the stainless steel facia of an oven. In so doing, they had scoured off all the temperature and settings markings that told you what knob did what. This effectively made it unusable by anyone not familiar with the oven, so I knocked off £50 of the £80 replacement cost and explained why, enclosing a copy of the invoice.

While it will more than likely sour the relationship with the landlord, you could do what I did. Tell the landlord that it is clearly not your responsibility to compensate them for the unlawful actions of the bank. :D Got mine off my back for long enough to put a package together.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

As tenancy agreements are covered by the The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, such a clause may well be unenforceable. Only a court can decide whether a term is unfair or not though. If the charge was clearly a penalty, unrelated to the actual cost to the landlord of the late payment, then he probably hasn't got a leg to stand on.

More info available from The Office of Fair Trading website:

Unfair terms guidance

Halifax plc

LBA sent 11/01/06

Rec'd fob off letter 21/01/06

Last ditch attempt phone call to avoid court action 07/04/06

Reply rec'd 07/04/06 'On this occasion we are unable to help you'

Claim filed 19/04/06

Claim acknowledged 28/04/06

SETTLED IN FULL 11/05/06

Seems like a sweeping generalisation

(there are exceptions but not many!)

What part of there are exceptions did you not understand?

Yes it was a sweeping generalisation but I have been renting properties for 12 years now and ive only ever had dealings with ONE agent/landlord who actually cared and did the job properly and that was Dakings and they were acting for an investment group.

In the other 8 places ive lived the landlords have been quite frankly pants and all did their hardest to hold onto as much deposit as they could

Debtgirl in reply to your posting:

1.Clauses as you have mentioned are introduced so that tenants pay their rent on time and not essentially to enforce them.

2.As far as being enforceable are concerned if the delay in payment of rent has interest charged in favour of the landlord at a rate of the County Court - 8%.This would not be unfair or excessive.

3.Always use the "reasonability test" in this sort of scenario i.e.if it seems too too excessive in fees/costs/interest etc etc it is not enforceable.It is as simple as that!

4.As has been posted,if you have a shorthold tenancy your rights are fairly limited and it is fairly easy to evict you - but of course only with a court order.

So be careful how you approach this sort of problem should it arise.

I hope you find this information useful.

If you have any questions,just ask.

All the best!

Thanks very much for the info everyone, very interesting, I actually have a fantastic landlord but it is good to know where I stand should problems arise.

RBS:

Data Protection Act request sent 6/6/06

Prelim sent 23/6/06 - no response

LBA sent 10/7/06

I am not terribly happy about this statement. I am a professional landlord - I have 7 properties. I would not dream of treating a tenant in anything other than a professional manner.

Certainly, there are so bad landlords out there and there are some pretty terrible tennants too but attempting to tar us all with the same brush is not necessary.

Abbey - Won DPA Claim - Aug 06 and got bailiffs in to recover my court costs of just £30.00

Abbey - Won Charges Refund of £1050 - Nov 06

Egg - Recovered £220 due to Customer Services misinformation - Feb 2007

Nat West - Prelinimary Letter to recover on Credit Card charges £30.00 sent March 2006. £25.40 offered - rejected and the bank reckons that this is it's last word on the matter. We'll see if that's still the case when it reads my N1 form sent recently. It has until the 17th April to respond or the N1 will be submitted.

Please check out my web site www.BankChargesScandal.co.uk for Research, Useful links and my story.

Debtgirl,put a latch/bolt on your door to stop your landlord from entering the property when you are in it.

If the landlord enters your property when you are out there is little you can do really.However,he should not enter your home without your permission because he would classed as a trespasser.

Please read the other threads/posts within the Landlord & Tenant Section regarding problems of this nature and the rest! - to educate yourself further.

I hope you find this information useful.

If you have any questions,just ask.

All the best!

I am not terribly happy about this statement. I am a professional landlord - I have 7 properties. I would not dream of treating a tenant in anything other than a professional manner.

Certainly, there are so bad landlords out there and there are some pretty terrible tennants too but attempting to tar us all with the same brush is not necessary.

But thats exactly it what part of "There are exceptions" do you not understand I AM NOT TARRING YOU WITH THE SAME BRUSH thats what that qualifier means for goodness sake how many times do I have to repost that line?????

Please read all of the post before whinging about it. It is my opinion and I am perfectly entitled to make it. In 12 years of renting as I have said I have had 1 landlord who I thought was great.

Other than that I have not even alleged they havent acted professionally asking someone to leave who is causing problems as per above is still acting professionally providing it is done properly things like not providing timely repairs is not acting professionally which I have not actually accused anyone of on here (apart from current landlord).

The other fact remains about renting is that you have little to no security sadly. What has tended to happen lately with the rise in house prices is that landlords have booted people out so they could jack up the rent by £150 pcm and rerent it to a new tenant for the new price.

To be blunt and I dont mean to be rude but I couldnt give a monkeys whether I hurt your feelings with my statement above especially considering that it wasnt aimed at you personally and that it was qualified to say that NOT all landlords are bad unless you have a guilty conscience and feel you fall into the other category? ;)

PS that last sentance was a joke hence the smiley at the end just thought I better point that out seeing as you didnt get my exceptions line in the first place

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have just received the deposit I originally paid for a year's lease on a student property, which I no longer reside in. They have charged me £35 for a late rent payment. The reason the payment was (three weeks, hardly excessive in my view) late was because my student loan had not cleared; had I written a cheque anyway, my bank would have charged me £30 as it would have bounced. I was expecting the loan to clear relatively quickly. so I could sent a cheque for rent. £35 is excessive - it does not cost that much to send a letter, which is what they did, addressed to three tenants in the same situation, and we explained the situation. Furthermore, we repeatedly requested a copy of their lease agreement during the tenancy, (the ownership of the property changed hands during the time I was there) and we were ignored, so we had no idea we would be charged for late payments. I am definitely going to claim - will focus on the disproportionate amount etc and I have read the tips on this fantastic website :) so here goes.........

BlueandWhiteOwl,

In reply to your post:

1.In the first instance,I would suggest that you have a "nice word" on behalf of all of you to reclaim the amounts taken off of you collectively.

2.Failing that,obtain a copy of the agreement before you go ahead with any claim.

3.Follow other threads on the process of claiming and if you get stuck,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!