BOS Loan insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6224 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took out a loan over 5 years with BOS in 2001 for 13,000. The PPI insurance was £5956.

Does that sound reasonable to those of you in the know and is there any chance of redeeming any of it as I now feel with hindsight it was a high price to pay.

This loan was arranged over the phone so is it likely there would be transcripts of the conversation available because I am sure they said it was mandatory. Can't be sure but transcripts would settle that arguement.

Any veiws from anyone would be most gratefully received.

Hi there.

If you were mis-sold the insurance and they said it was mandatory then that is mis-selling and I am shure the FSA would have something to say about that!

Better than transcripts - if you can remember the date you spoke to the person about the loan if it was recorded you could send a DPA request for a copy (tape or CD) of the audio recording of the conversation!

Hope that is some help.

Regards,

Rob

• Confused 1

Thanks Holly that's very useful to know. Just a matter of interest and it seems like you worked there, would you know if it was a BOS policy to say to customers that they HAD to have the Creditcare insurance on these Personal loans?

What records would be kept of this enquiry at the time.

You see someone has posted on a thread that a loan that has the insurance BEFORE the interest on an agreement became unenforceable to one person who challenged it in a court. ( not sure which one).

I am not trying to duck out of my responsibility to repay, but 9.9% apr interest on nearly £6000 insurance policy is quite high and £6k in insurance is a lot for a 13k loan.

Anything you might like to add which could help me decide whether I might challenge this would be helpful.

Thanks

Holly99 you are an angel and I thank you. I think I can justifiably argue that at a time of stress, making a rational decision over the telephone can be difficult and one is guided by the trustworthy bank to be straight with you - In the Templates letters it officially says that we trust in the banks fiducery ( to be upfront and honest to look after your financial care) that's why we don't go through yellow pages looking for some backstreet lender.

The paperwork supplied following the phone call lays out the whole deal to be sure and there is no doubt somewhere in the text that we can pull out if we want to within a specified period ( I'll have a read later ) but I have no 'signed by me documents' The terms on the back say it it becomes legally binding if signed by us (bos) and you. Now that's going to be interesting because unless I signed this at the time the money came to the door, I don't recall ever signing anything. I probably signed receipt of same but not the agreement itself - tricky one but the devils in the detail!

However, since you have given me this info I have looked and seen that I also had a preference account and the creditcare box has a little tick on it. Now I claimed for 1 year I had sick after my business failed on the loan and was paid out ( or BOS was paid) for the monthly payments but the preference account I never claimed for and that's now being chased by Blair Oliver Scott so I have a pressi coming I think!!

I'll read this agreement and check out my statements again. Thanks Holly99.

........ but as a receipt or as a credit agreement? All of this was done over the phone. Only the courier would have presented me with paperwork. The document I have on file is purely one printed none has my signature on it, my name is typed in but I have no signature anywhere of my own. Would they keep the signed for docs and what format might they be do you think?

Cheers. I must have signed something that's for sure!

Order on agreement went:

Advance 13k

Credit Care Gold - 5956

Amount of credit - 18956

Interest - 5296

Total amount payable 24253

Thanks for all your help

• 2 weeks later...

nice one matey:razz:

SETTLED CASES

LTSB (CC) £20 21-8-06

HSBC (CC) £600 19-10-06

HSBC (Ac) No.1 £1900 25-10-06

RBS (CC) £900 25-10-06

Smile (Ac) £1300 17-11-06

A&L (Ac) No.1 £400 23-11-06

A&L (Mortgage ERC) £3900 4-12-06

LTSB (Ac) £200 13-12-06

A&L (Ac) No.2 £120 19-12-06

HSBC (Ac) No.2 £650 29-12-06

LTSB (Business) £1700 13-2-07

RBS (Ac) £4500 + Default Removal 17-3-07

Barclays (Bus) Warrant of Execution 10-3-07 not used yet

ONGOING CASES

Egg (CC) N1 Filed £1300 + Default Removal Judgment Order 9/1/07 In my Favour

Barclays Business loan & 2 accs. S.A.R N1 filed Judgment in Default isued 15/2/07

HSBC (CC) have failed to produce Credit Agreement

TO DO CASES

Egg (Loan)

LTSB (Ac Ltd Company)

LTSB (Loan)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am in a similar position. I sent off a letter as per the template found on the money saving expert site.

Sadly as I expected I got the reply I didn't want.

The letters main point in reply to my own letter are that there are set procedures and scripts in place to ensure customers get the relevant info. ..... and that I would have been advised of the importance of reading the policy upon reciept .... the insurance is optional ......at no time has it been mandatory ......I am sorry you feel this way but clearly this was an assumption you made (that i had to have insurance as part of the loan) .... you signed specifically for this cover.

So where do I go from here.

Of a £10000 loan I have now repaid £12000 with nearly £6000 left to pay. (edit due to inability to count!!)

Leaches.

If only I had known then that I didn't have to take the insurance out to get the loan. I just thought that as it such a huge (to me) loan that was standard.

Only by reading these pages do I now know different.

I guess I'll have to keep on paying despite the fact it is crippling me.

I really feel badly let down by the Bank of Scotland.

My agreement says.

advance £10000

credit care £3069

total credit £13069

charge for credit £4053.80

total payable £17122.80

Any suggestions?

Kel.

Hi Kel, I think it's more about what they did'nt say rather than what they did. Holly99 might have some suggestions, but I haven't yet tried to persue it as I have been after the banking ones first. She has made some very pertinant points. When I took mine out it was over the phone. I can't exactly remember the wording they used or didn't as when you are in that state of mind when you need the loan it certainly fuzzes up your rational thinking. It's easy to try to convince yourself it wasn't mentioned over the phone especially when you have been reading through the site for a while - you can't trust one of the banks and where we thought we could we now doubt. I just get so mad we have been ripped off - it's an everyday occurrance in any walk of life but we trusted these companies to be fair.

I think you should carry on with the claim and let them prove it if you can. My problem also is that I had to claim on mine and they( London and Edinbrugh) paid out for a full year so it feels a bit strong to claim back although purely on the basis of being charges 6k for something which only costs about £1000 grates hard.

I'll watch your progress. Good luck.

Thanks for the support Andrew1,

I know what you mean about the fuzzyness of it all. It was over 3 years ago. I have always resented the amount of the credit care as they called it.

Luckily I have been able to keep up the payments and never been behind.

My problem is that even after reading as many threads on here as I can I have no idea how to proceed.

I think their response was pretty weak in that it boils down to them saying "I am unable to agree that the policy was mis sold."

Any ideas or suggestions would be very greatfully recieved.

Kel.

You can always write and ask for a transcript of the call. ( holly99 said they didn't have them when I took mine out but they may have for yours).

There are some threads although to be honest I have no time to go through them all just now but there are some which seem to be going through similar threads are the loan early repayment claims. Just keep searching I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Have you got a thread on this of your own? If you haven't I'd start one and people soon come to your rescue - its an amazing site this.

• 6 months later...

Having now commenced a number of bank charges claims, I would like to begin exploring this Credit Care Insurance issue I've explained above. Sadly the posts have been removed by Mollington in response to my earlier questions but basically I was charged £6k insurance on a £13k loan. I have made a claim on the insurance, but that doesn't excuse the 6k charge and I don't feel I should have paid anything like that when I am sure they demanded it in the first place. Can anyone throw any light on how I might actually approach BOS on this to at least ask for a partial refund. The debt, which only fell into arrears by 3 mnths has now been sold onto a dca. What I need is some kind of terminology I can use for a letter.