£60 PCN for 30mins free parking!?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6064 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

I'm new to this site. I came across it when I was searching the internet after receiving my first ever parking ticket. I think it's brilliant and what a wonderful bunch of people you are! Anyhow, I've spent hours reading the various threads and now feel confident enough to take on the private parking company but I'm nervous so I'd really like you to 'hold my hand' through what I anticipate will be a rather unpleasant experience. Here's the scenario. On Friday 07/09/07 I parked in St Peters Retail Park in Mansfield, I'm not a frequent visitor, this was only my second visit this year, but I remembered it was free parking for 30 mins and as I only intended visiting 1 store knew that would be sufficient. After I parked I looked over to the P&D board just to check it was still free (I'm not the sort of person who would deliberately or consciously avoid parking charges) and then I went into the store. When I came out 25 mins later I was shocked to find a very official looking parking ticket stuck to my window. I checked with a nearby shopper that it was free for 30 mins and he told me I should have got a ticket to display. It was only when I went up to the P&D board that I saw in smaller writing (ticket required). I could have kicked myself but what upsets me is the company, Exel Parking Services, are demanding £60 reduced to £40 if I pay in 7 days but if I'd had a ticket it wouldn't have cost me anything. So after reading all the advice on this site I plan to wait until my husband receives a letter (as he is the registered keeper) and respond with the standard letter advising them to take it up with the driver of the vehicle. I've looked at various letters on here and wondered whether to add to "if I receive any further contact from you" with "or any debt management company acting on your behalf". What do you think?

I would really appreciate your comments/advice/support as I feel like David taking on Goliath. Am I going about it the right way?

I would really appreciate your comments/advice/support as I feel like David taking on Goliath. Am I going about it the right way?

I'm dealing with Excel at the moment, i'd compare them more to a toothless old mongrel than a 'goliath' figure. You can send them all the letters you like they will ignore them all, which is what I suggest you do when you pick their up off the doormat, throw it straight in the bin and forget about it. If they take you to court you'll be the first.

• Haha 1

Hi Lubyloo,

There's a hand here to hold if you need it. Don't worry and don't pay them a penny. Just sit back, hold on and enjoy the ride. And don't worry about anything. Just ask for advice when you need it and one of us will reply. Get your husband to write the "I'm the Registered Keeper, Take it up with the driver" letter for a starter. Don't bother adding anything else at this moment in time.

Take Care and Speak Soon

SwissT

ps Remember David Beat Goliath :)

• Haha 1

THE VIEWS POSTED BY MYSELF ARE STRICTLY MY OWN OPINION AND CANNOT BE RELIED ON FOR LEGAL PURPOSES.

IF IN DOUBT, CONTACT A QUALIFIED LEGAL EXPERT

SWISSTONI

Have you not been reading in the Chad about Excel Parking and their behaviour in Mansfield this year?

Only this week the Chad reported that the DVLA have launched an investigation into Excel Parking and had locked out their access to DVLA records.

http://www.chad.co.uk/news/Parking-firm-facing-DVLA-investigation.3191560.jp

Excel can only find out who you are by obtaining your details from the DVLA. Given that their administration at the best of times is dire you might even find that you won't hear from them again at all given what is happening to them at the moment.

Definately do not contact them as all this will do is provide them with your name and address so they can threaten you with court proceedings and Bailiff enforcement (which they never actually do).

These tickets from Excel Parking are completely unenforceable (even Trading Standards advises this).

• Haha 1

Thanks Eyore that was really useful. I'm not local to Mansfield so don't have access to the Chad.

To think that in my initial panic I almost paid the PCN before I appealed. I'm just so glad I didn't.

• 1 month later...

Sent the standard response to Excel from my husband advising them to take up the matter with the driver of the vehicle. Received a letter today from Excel informing him as he is the owner of the vehicle he is liable for the PCN and requesting he provide the driver details or payment of £100. Failure to comply with either request will result in the issue of court proceedings!

What do I do now, ignore it or reply?

Sent the standard response to Excel from my husband advising them to take up the matter with the driver of the vehicle. Received a letter today from Excel informing him as he is the owner of the vehicle he is liable for the PCN and requesting he provide the driver details or payment of £100. Failure to comply with either request will result in the issue of court proceedings!

What do I do now, ignore it or reply?

Write to them as follows:

Dear Sirs:

Re: [insert Ref No]

Thank you for your letter of [date].

You have written to me as the registered keeper, however you need to take this matter up with the driver of the vehicle.

I note that you claim that liability attaches to me as registered keeper of the vehicle, then please cite relevant authority for this (judicial precedent and/or statute).

Even if (which I do not concede) liability does attach to the keeper, I do not agree that any amount or the amounts you are claiming are due to you are in fact lawfully due to you.

In the event that you are unable or unwilling to cite the relevant authority as referred to above I shall be unable to enter into any further correspondence with you an this matter (which may also constitute harassment) and this purported debt shall remain in dispute.

Yours faithfully

• Haha 1

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.