help with mackenze hall ltd please?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5727 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

I am new to this site and I could do with some advice please?

Whilst we were on holiday our neighbour (who we do not have much to do with) received a telephone call from a lady from a company asking about my other half, is he known to her does he still live at the house next door etc.... Our neighbour confirmed this and took a message to get him to call her back on our return. We phoned the company and it was Mackenzie Hall Ltd so we did not confirm any details and ended the call swiftly.

They must have given out some details because a few days after returning she asked if we had sorted out the debt collection agents because she was not impressed with receiving phone calls on her home number.

Today he received a letter from MH on behalf of Cabot Financial dated 8th August stating it was a final notice and payment deadline of noon 15th August.

This debt is from his previous marriage and all debts were sorted by their retrospective solicitors. The debt relates to an overdraft of a joint bank account with Barclays and he has paperwork from Centralised Attachment of Earnings showing that the Attachment of earnings order has been discharged on 14th March 2003 and also a letter from Elizabeth Handworth Solicitor based in Manchester confirming that the said debt has been paid in full, no further legal proceedings will be taken in this case and full satisfaction will be filed with the Credit References Agencies.

However, it appears that his ex-wife has not paid anything so now these debt collection agents are pursuing him for the remainder of the debt.

Do we ignore this letter and hope they are clutching at straws?

Any advice most welcome.

Many thanks

Flumps1976.

ps I do not have a scanner or access to one so I cannot post the letters on here.

Well first of all you should complain about them phoning your neighbour as they obviously divulged details of who they were.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

He says there wasn't a CCJ against him it was all worked out through their Solicitors during the divorce. He was never summoned to court.

He didn't have the means to pay back his half (as he cleared all the other debts she ran up during the marriage) this overdraft was run up during their separation by her and yes he feels so stupid now but he did love her and was hoping things would work out.

It was decided that the easiest way would be an attachment of earnings so he knew it would be paid (his bank account was closed by the bank just after his wages were paid leaving him a month without anything. It was then agreed with his previous employers that his wages would be paid in cash until they helped him open a new basic account which he couldn't have any standing orders or direct debits).

The divorce was very bitter they have no dealings with each other, he assumed she would have sorted out her half, but it appears not!

What has angered me most is he has paid his half of the debt but because she hasn't they want to chase him again just because he paid before.

Thank you for your advice so far but what should our next step be?

Mant thanks

Flump.

• 1 year later...

This company is awful. they use dirty tactics. They are currently harassing me. I am ignoring them as, if they do take me to court, the way they have tried to collect the debt will come into question. If you look on the internet there is only bad stuff about this company. They tried to tell me my husband was responsible for my debt, he is not. They are a nasty company. Go to trading standards about them. they have broken the law going to your neighbours. Read the info on debt collection. They break every rule in the book. Let them try and take me to court!!!!!!

keep me posted. But do not get stressed about this tin pot company.

Frogmore xx

• Haha 1