Kerry v's Barclays

Kerryatter
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6480 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Help - I'm nervous!

I've just had a bit of a run-in with Barclays! The Bar Stewards have managed to squeeze £90 in charges out of me this month! Unfortunately my husband was made redundant this month and things have been 'a bit much'. I've just phoned up to try and get the money back but they went through this long schpeel and tried to get me to justify my spending (like a naughty school-girl!) when they said that they weren't going to refund it (as I have incurred charges back in Feb and Dec) I told them that I was aware of the 1977 Unfair Terms (contracts) Act etc etc and that although I didn't want to take them to court I thought that the charges were illegal and they should refund them back to me or this was the route I would be forced to take. She said that she "wasn't going to refund them just because I thought they were illegal, why should the bank do that?"

She has put a formal complaint through saying that I am threatening legal action and they'll get back to me within 5 working days. I also asked her to send me copies of all the bank charges back to 2000 and she said that it would go through with the complaint. Should I still start with 'step 1' in the process and carry on regardless of what they come back to me with in the complaint?

Ooh, I feel all shakey and angry - how DARE they take money off me that they're not allowed to take?! I think I need some support...

Thanks guys

Kerry

Eh?... What?... pardon?...Er... What's going on?!

• 1 month later...

Hi - OK, I'm a little confused here. As I said before, I'm working a bit backwards on this - I phoned and asked for my 3 charges back but the lady obviously put in for all the way back to 2000 as I got a letter offering me £500 (with something like 8 weeks to reply).

I hadn't already got the statements so I sent the standard letter off asking for a list of my charges but I got one back saying that they will send me my statements in a few weeks as they don't hold this information separately (is this standard or am I getting flannel???)

I don't think I'm gonna take their offer as from a cursory read through a couple of posts on here I take it that they seem to be offering around 50%.

Can I ask how quickly others have received their statements?

Also, what is my next step - once I have been through my statements do I need to add on interest somewhere? How do I do that? Then do I write to them saying 'stick your offer - I want the full £___? Is there a template I should use?

Is there anything I should watch out for because of doing it out of order?

Sorry there are so many questions - my brain is currently wired only for potty training my toddler and stopping her from eating sand in the garden!

Many thanks

Kerry xxx

If you sent them the SAR for your statements it tells them they have 40 days to respond. It looks like they are beginning to take up this amount of time recently, before the statements were turning up in a week or so.

As regards the offer don't assume the £500 they have offered is 50% in my case the offered less than 30%.

I think you would be best to read the step by step guide and after you get your statements you can follow it doing things in the right order and at the right times.

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

As regards the offer don't assume the £500 they have offered is 50% in my case the offered less than 30%.

Spotty

This is interesting - I can't wait to see how much they actually owe me!

I'll have to wait on my statements then. The ironic thing is that I shredded about 3 years worth a couple of months ago! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your advice Spotty - I really should read the step-by-step guide. I'll get onto it straight away.

Kerry

Make sure that you have a good read of the FAQs. that will answer most of your questions.:)

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

A quick update - I eventually got all of the bank statements that I had ordered (Sneaky, sneaky Barclays have started to pull a fast one where they only send you half of the statements that you order! This has happend to myself and my husband!). It turns out that they owe my a whopping £1000 ! :eek:

They offered me £500 about a month ago, which I obviously don't want to accept. I'd be quite happy to accept a bigger offer (say £850) as I could do with the money for our holiday in October (although I wouldn't tell them that!)Do you think I should write to them and barter? Has anyone else done this and was it successful? I haven't seen a letter in the library, is there one but I have missed it?

Advice anyone? :-?

Until you get to the stage where you have a date for the Court Hearing it is unlikely that you will be able to barter with them.

At this stage you have two options

1 Take their paltry offer (£500)

2 Follow the steps in the library and get it all back.

Disadvantages of 1 is you only get half your money but quickly

Disadvantage of 2 is you have to wait a long time but you'll get it all back.

The choice is up to you.

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06