• Tweets

• Growth was stronger than expected, but millions of households are yet to feel the benefit.View the full article
    • If we can establish that he is trading then you will be protected under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. If we can't establish that then he would have to be treated as a private seller. I know that on Facebook you have been advised that you have very few rights – but this is not true. Apart from anything else, it's an offence to sell a vehicle which is not in roadworthy condition and it sounds to me as if your vehicle is not in roadworthy condition although we may will have to get an independent inspection. I understand that you had a mechanic give it a pre-MOT cheque. Was that before or after it was purchased? A few problems here – first of all, the van was very cheap. This doesn't reduce your rights anyway but what it does mean is that it may be less worthwhile taking an action that we will have to work that out later. Secondly, you bought the van from a dealer about 130 miles away. This means that if it has to be returned, there is a 130 mile trip to get it there and then you have to come back. Although it's a bit late for you, please follow the link to our used car guide and see what we say about protecting yourself when you buy used cars and in particular what's the little video towards the end of the thread. You won't feel good about it but you may as well learn something for the future and of course other people who visit this thread for that as well. Finally, if we end up having you bring a claim against him in the County Court, I have no doubt but that you will win but enforcement could be tricky. I think the first thing to do is to consult the land registry web search service and find out if he owns the property that is trading from. If he does then at least you have identified an asset and enforcement will be much easier. You can access the land registry website here Summary of freehI think it will cost you about 3 pounds.old - Search for land and property information SEARCH-PROPERTY-INFORMATION.SERVICE.GOV.UK I think it will cost you about £3 or so. Make sure you use the website link I have given you above. It is a government one. There are lots of private websites which look as if they are government and they charge you a lot more money for giving you exactly the same information.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

OFT v Banks - **Don't panic!!!**

Bookworm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The OFT have said that they mite pull out of the court case becasue the banks are reducing their charges and the OFT believe that is sufficient.

8 Banks have said though that the OFT have no jurisdiction and may proceed with the case:

it's on:ceefax 202 on bbc 2.

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether its for commercial reasons, PR or whatever, the inference is surely that there is no need for their charges to be as high as they currently are. Certainly, the removal of the 29% interest rate, is the removal of a very obvious penalty and the considerable reduction in the penalty charges surely suggests that, whilst they have always argued these were fair and reasonable, they can infact be considerably cheaper! Therefore, this surely effects their previous arguement and may effect the judges consideration with regard to stays.

The more I think about it, it comes across as an admission that their penalties were not at all reasonable or fair.

Whilst I have no idear how to go about it, I feel it would be a wasted oportunity not to use it.

Matt

It also means that you are aware of any charges that you may incur, and thus will not be able to to reclaim them. On the face of it, it does appear to be a reasonable deal, if you are willing to pay any charges. a I said before, a very smart marketing move

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales

The OFT are thinking of withdrawing the test case:

OFT may compromise on bank fees

By Ian Pollock

Personal finance reporter, BBC News

999999.gif

Lloyds TSB has already changed its overdraft fees

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) could drop next year's High Court test case over bank overdraft charges, a senior official has said.

But the OFT added it would only do this if the banks put forward an agreeable compromise and if such a deal was in the best interests of customers.

The court is due to decide next year whether the OFT has the power to rule that bank overdraft fees are unfair.

The eight banks challenging the OFT say it has no jurisdiction in the matter.

On Monday, Lloyds TSB became the first of the big High Street banks to cut some of its overdraft fees, after paying out millions of pounds in so-called "goodwill payments" to tens of thousands of unhappy customers.

Lloyds customers - and those of other banks - have claimed that charges levied for running up unauthorised overdrafts are illegal and unfairly high.

Negotiation

Other banks are expected to copy Lloyds example in coming months.

o.gifstart_quote_rb.gif We will be looking out for what is the best outcome for the consumer end_quote_rb.gif

Cavendish Elithorne, OFT

Any such changes will not, on their own, deflect the OFT from its legal action.

But a senior official, Cavendish Elithorne, made it clear that the OFT was open to negotiation on the issue.

"If we do our own financial analysis, and they [the banks] come in with a number that is lower than our analysis would suggest is an unfair charge, there is no need for the court case to go forward," he said.

"We will be looking out for what is the best outcome for the consumer."

But Mr Elithorne did stress that so far there has been no face-to-face negotiation with the banks.

Authority

However, if and when, the judge will not be asked to rule on whether bank charges are legal or fair.

Lee Coward is one of the thousands of customers to sue their banks

Instead the judge will have to decide whether the OFT has the authority to decide the issue itself, under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations.

The OFT believes typical bank overdraft fees come under these regulations, that they are unfair and that it therefore has the power to order changes.

But banks argue that the charges are a core feature of their current account business and so they are not covered by the regulations, they are fair and that the OFT has no powers in the matter.

Agreement

Intriguingly, the OFT revealed that it actually agrees with part of the banks' arguments.

o.gif We think the fairness test will still apply

Cavendish Elithorne, OFT

They claim that their charges are not penalties, but are fees for a service - for running a current account while it is in the red.

"In most instances we would probably agree with the banks' arguments that these are not penalties as defined in common law," said Mr Elithorne.

But he insisted that the OFT Still believes the charges are unfair - even if they are "fees for a service".

"We think the fairness test will still apply," he added.

All these legal arguments will be novel in the UK courts and are clearly of great importance to both sides.

However a final decision may be more than a year away if the case goes to the Appeal Court and then the House of Lords.

No more free banking?

With the OFT two-thirds of the way through a nine-month investigation into the fairness of overdraft charges, banks are now giving the watchdog their own estimates of how much it costs to run an account in the red and to bounce cheques.

o.gif It may be that some banks may charge some customers an annual fee

Cavendish Elithorne

The regulator is about to do its own number crunching to establish what level of charges it believes are unfair.

However, it estimates that fees and charges for going overdrawn without permission bring in between £2bn and £3.5bn a year to the UK banking industry's revenue.

The OFT has denied that the case could lead to the reintroduction of monthly or annual account charges; the end of so-called "free banking" for those whose accounts stay in credit.

"It may be that some banks may charge some customers an annual fee," said Mr Elithorne. But he pointed out that in contrast to the fees earned from charging for overdrafts, a standard charge of £300 a year, applied to the country's 75 million current accounts, would generate an extra £20bn or so in income for the banks. "I believe that if the banks tried to extend such charges much more broadly that some other banks would continue to compete quite vigorously to keep free banking," said Mr Elithorne.

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

BBC NEWS | Business | OFT may compromise on bank fees

There is a little bit more here

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

Hi All

Have posted some thoughts on a 'compromise' deal here -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1125128.html

Would be very interested in what anyone else thinks.

All the best - Adam.

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

This doesnt seem like good news

The banks say "The eight banks challenging the OFT say it has no jurisdiction in the matter"

This shows they do not want to compromise they want to draw out a long winded court case.

"However, if and when, the judge will not be asked to rule on whether bank charges are legal or fair.

Instead the judge will have to decide whether the OFT has the authority to decide the issue itself, under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations."

This is also crazy whats the point of the test case if it isn't to find out if the charges are legal or not. What is the point of the waiver??? i thought it was to see if the charges are legal or not that is what the OFT have been saying.

Does the POC's say this that it is just to see if the OFT can challenge them or to see if they are legal or not?

MAIN QUESTION

If they do withdraw from the test case because the banks lower there charges what happens to all the ongoing and future claims. will they still be able to get refunds??

Stonedecroze,

I didn't think I was claiming that I was unaware what the se charges were, I thought I was claiming that they were disproportionately high and, therefore, a penalty which makes it unlawful. Obviously over simplified.

In these cases we claim that they are unfair and unlawful, the bank argues that they are fair and cover the cost to the bank for the service they provide and, therefore are lawful. If, as LTSB are now saying, they can provide that same service at a considerably reduced cost, it is by definition an admission that their charges were previously disproportionately high and, therefore a penalty to their customer, unlawful.

The fact that they have reduced their penalty for a returned DDM from £35 to £20, does not mean that I, or anyone else claiming, accept it is now fair. My point is their admission that their previous policy was unfair.

Maybe I'm grasping at staws, but I think this is a little more significant than it first appears.

This doesnt seem like good news

The banks say "The eight banks challenging the OFT say it has no jurisdiction in the matter"

This shows they do not want to compromise they want to draw out a long winded court case.

"However, if and when, the judge will not be asked to rule on whether bank charges are legal or fair.

Instead the judge will have to decide whether the OFT has the authority to decide the issue itself, under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations."

This is also crazy whats the point of the test case if it isn't to find out if the charges are legal or not. What is the point of the waiver??? i thought it was to see if the charges are legal or not that is what the OFT have been saying.

Does the POC's say this that it is just to see if the OFT can challenge them or to see if they are legal or not?

MAIN QUESTION

If they do withdraw from the test case because the banks lower there charges what happens to all the ongoing and future claims. will they still be able to get refunds??

My understanding:

The test case was to see if the banks' current accounts etc were covered under the UTCCR, which the OFT DO have juristiction over.

As for if they pull out - well, I think we will still be able to claim anyway, so it make no difference anyway.

We still cliamed once they reduced credit card charges to £12.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Stonedecroze,

I didn't think I was claiming that I was unaware what the se charges were, I thought I was claiming that they were disproportionately high and, therefore, a penalty which makes it unlawful. Obviously over simplified.

In these cases we claim that they are unfair and unlawful, the bank argues that they are fair and cover the cost to the bank for the service they provide and, therefore are lawful. If, as LTSB are now saying, they can provide that same service at a considerably reduced cost, it is by definition an admission that their charges were previously disproportionately high and, therefore a penalty to their customer, unlawful.

The fact that they have reduced their penalty for a returned DDM from £35 to £20, does not mean that I, or anyone else claiming, accept it is now fair. My point is their admission that their previous policy was unfair.

Maybe I'm grasping at staws, but I think this is a little more significant than it first appears.

I understand what you're saying, but at the end if the day, until they provide proof of exactly how much it costs them any amount they charge is unfair.

What I don't understand is that the FSA are pushing a "Treating CUstomers Fairly" campaign in that all companies regulated by them should be fair and transparent - how does the banks' actions relate to TCF? Well, they don't!!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Stonedecroze,

maybe I worded it wrong, what I was trying to say is, All new customers that sign up to new accounts will be made aware of the new charge regime, there precluding them from claiming that they are unfair at a later date. These new charges have no relevance to existing customers. they have not admitted that the present charges are disproportionately high, they will say that it is a marketing move to gain new business. after if they have 100 customers pay £30 charge they make £300, but if they gain100 more customers they then have 200 customers paying £20 charge giving them £400. smart business move!

It is a good argument to use if you are applying to have stay set aside, and I plan to add this to my arsenal if I ever manage to get a hearing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

We still cliamed once they reduced credit card charges to £12

They the OFT did not reduce the CC charges they said over £12 they would get involved.

if they have 100 customers pay £30 charge they make £300, but if they gain100 more customers they then have 200 customers paying £20 charge giving them £400. smart business move!

Erm not so smart think you meant to add more 0's :)

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

In my opinion: The Banks v the OFT this new twist on if the OFT has the authority to decide is a PR job on behalf of the OFT one which will widen the issue thus, extending the time scales for any kind of legal ruling.

The Banks are more than happy to file the claims in a some time 2 years down the road box and carry on business as usual, creating more financial hardship to people.

When you see 6000 people a day are contacting the C/Advice for debt help it further confirms the state of the country and that there are far more important issues on the table. The middle income bracket has been hammered to death to pay for every thing that the government cock up such as, immigration, unemployment,the housing market with the introduction of HIP. Not to mention and this will probably get deleted by a mod economic migration of our new EC members and any other person who feels like landing here with often false passports and documents.

In short this once great country is getting screwed and so you can all expect to be screwed on bank charges, mobile phone bills, gas, electric and water, a bill a day will come your way.:)

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Not to mention and this will probably get deleted by a mod

Why? Your allowed to post an opinion!:)

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Hi Gary: Usually any mention of economic migration has in the past been deleted lol..though, I may have been more specific at that time.

Nice to see the :) so early in the morning.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

maybe I worded it wrong, what I was trying to say is, All new customers that sign up to new accounts will be made aware of the new charge regime, there precluding them from claiming that they are unfair at a later date. These new charges have no relevance to existing customers. they have not admitted that the present charges are disproportionately high, they will say that it is a marketing move to gain new business. after if they have 100 customers pay £30 charge they make £300, but if they gain100 more customers they then have 200 customers paying £20 charge giving them £400. smart business move!

It is a good argument to use if you are applying to have stay set aside, and I plan to add this to my arsenal if I ever manage to get a hearing.

I got a message when I logged in to my online banking (had an account wiht lloyds for ab out 15 years) saying that they are changing their charges....

Don't foget, these banks have the best solicitors money can buy!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

They the OFT did not reduce the CC charges they said over £12 they would get involved/

I know mate! :)

It will be the same principle if the banks are askied to compromise - so we should still be able to sue the banks. I think this is why they want the test case to go ahead - I think they wll win and I think they know that too!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Hi guys, a bit out of my depth here so please excuse me if I am coming across as a bit naff. :)

I have just had my court application stayed (initially started via MCO) and so havnt even had a court date sent to me yet.

Thus I havent sent out the Court Bundle.

I am just running through the appeal statement template to lift the stay and was wondering if in light of these developments should simply remove all reference to the OFT test case etc ?

If not, where can I get a copy of the Test case POC to attach to my statement?

Cheers

A

• 2 months later...

Hi BW,

On the News, but it was only a brief statement. I could be wrong, so don't take it as read.

I was in Court the week before last with the firm representing HBOS. I have an ongoing saga with them, and know they were present at the hearing. They are the second largest firm in the country.

Can anybody confirm there are only 2 left?

Tide

The OFT reply to defence is published on their website (and still contains the names of all the original banks).

However, when I've tried to open the document my browser quits ?

Anybody else having the same problem ?

Was wondering if it's some quirk with my browser, or if the OFT link has been withdrawn for some reason (eg; particulars changed, number of defendants changed etc)

Can somebody else go to the link at the OFT site, and try to view the reply to defence, and let me know if it's just me, or indeed something to do with the OFT site ?

The Office of Fair Trading: making markets work well for consumers

PM

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !