Credit Reference Agencies

Johnnyc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I don't know whether this is the right forum for this but here goes anyway.

I have been in touch with both Experian and Equifax about incorrect information on my credit file and have been passed backwards and forwards by both companies and Barclaycard and LVBS. All parties are blaming the other for the info on my file. Both CRA@s show me to be in arrears on my payments to both Barclaycard and LVBS. Privately I have spoken to Barclaycard and LVBS and both have agreed I am up to date with all payments and have sent written confirmation. However this is still not reflected on my file which still show me in arrears. When I have contacted Experian and Equifax and even shown them the information, they still insist the files cannot be amended without the lenders permission. They also stated that the lenders were behind with their information. Barclaycard and LVBS insist that they supply up to date information and that it is the CRA@s who are behind with putting the information on their site. Obviously because I am shown to be in arrears even though I am fully up to date, this is causing me untold problems obtaining credit. Where should I go to next because I believe that all of the above are in breach of the Data Protection Act and all are trying to pass the buck????

I would put in a complaint to the Information Commissioner detailing your grievance to be honest - it sounds as if you have got as far as you can...

Information Commissioner's Office

Wycliffe House

Water Lane

Wilmslow

Cheshire

SK9 5AF

Tel: 01625 545745

Fax: 01625 524510

E-mail: [email protected]

I think the CRAS are going to be next in the firing line - they flatly refuse to remove an address from my file I haven't lived at in over 20 years (family home) and again 'pass the buck' when asked to remove info - a Notice of Correction is their answer but I say it is wrong and should be removed and an NOC is NOT clearing errors on the account.

I think the CRAS are going to be next in the firing line - they flatly refuse to remove an address from my file I haven't lived at in over 20 years (family home) and again 'pass the buck' when asked to remove info - a Notice of Correction is their answer but I say it is wrong and should be removed and an NOC is NOT clearing errors on the account.

Correct - and there is debate about whether creditors actually bother to look at NOC anyway... your file is a factual (!) history of your previous 6 yrs relating to credit agreements so clearly an address you haven't lived at for 20 yrs shouldn't be included ( unless you have a financial association with someone at this address )...

Correct - and there is debate about whether creditors actually bother to look at NOC anyway... your file is a factual (!) history of your previous 6 yrs relating to credit agreements so clearly an address you haven't lived at for 20 yrs shouldn't be included ( unless you have a financial association with someone at this address )...

The only way a financial association could be construed from this is that it is my father's address - is that a genuine financial association as he hasn't paid any bills for me or otherwise for a long time! I'm also connected to the people I originally purchased my old flat from as well, and the only connection there was I bought the place from them.

Financial Association seems to mean (in CRA terms) anybody who has ever paid a bill on your behalf....

Financial Association seems to mean (in CRA terms) anybody who has ever paid a bill on your behalf....

Yes, but at best it really means people that you have joint credit agreements with.

I can't really understand why the CRAs hold this information.

If you default a joint loan then surely the creditor will register defaults on both people's files.

If I apply for credit in my own name then I would have thought that having had a joint account with someone at some time is totally irrelevant. I wonder if the associations information is removed after 6 years?

Regarding the initial post; perhaps when contacting multiple organisations like this you should also ask if they have any objection to the information being removed from your CRA file. If they have both not objected then the CRA would be further out on a limb if they did not correct the data that they hold.

In the past, CRAs were not regarded as data processors for data protection act purposes. They are now & they obviously need reporting to the information commissioner for refusing to correct inaccurate data. Maybe the CRAs need reminding of this when we write

Contact the CRA and ask for details of their data controller and their complaints procedure. Point out the problem to the data controller personally - he is responsible for accuracy.

For a real shock, look at what Experian & Equifax process & who they share data with. Absolutely shocking. Everyone happy with all of this information being shared with this lot worldwide?

Definately time to go CRA hunting.

Anyone good at letter writing?

Can you file a notice of dissasociation about an old address?

If you want to go ahead with correcting the CRA's data then I would ask them for proof that this address is valid. I would have thought that this is outside the data protection act - information has to be current as well as accurate.

The CRA data controller is personally responsible for accuracy. If you can't contact him, try the company secretary.

I think that you have to go through the CRAs complaints procedure before you can complain to the information commissioner. Tell the CRA that you will be doing that. If there are sufficient complaints then maybe the Information Commissioner will investigate & issue an enforcement notice. Just think what effect that will have on the CRA - having to check that information was accurate. Point that out to the CRA. It could paralyse them.