Telephone slamming

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6135 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

We have had our landline 'slammed' by Talk Talk using a ficticious name & address.

My question is that whilst 'slamming' can be put down to admin error :rolleyes:, can Talk Talk use the same excuse for making up names & addresses?

Anybody had similar experiences?

Thanks in advance.

Halifax - Credit Card: 14/11/06 sent S.A.R, 29/12/06 sent Prelim, 11/01/07 1st bog-off received, 15/01/07 LBA sent, 01/02/2007 MCOL started for £1801 (inc court costs and 8% int.), 02/02/2007 MCOL cancelled... , 09/06/2007 Court claim started, 01/06/2007 Claim Acknowledged, 07/06/2007 Claim concluded, £1540 to be reimbursed into CC account.

GE Capital Bank Ltd - Storecards (3): 11/06/07 sent S.A.R, 15/06/07 Acknowledgement of S.A.R received

GE Capital Bank Ltd - Wife's Storecards (2): not started yet...

Nationwide - Current A/C: not started yet...

Lloyds TSB Bank Ltd - Current A/C: not started yet...

Lloyds TSB Bank Ltd - Business A/C: not started yet...

and the rest I haven't remembered so far... : not started yet...

What has probably happened is someone from Talk Talk has been given this information by a 'potential customer' either by being stopped in the street or visiting a CW shop. I was actually behind two youths who did this to a street salesman and they thought it great fun.

TT could argue they were acting in good faith, but I take thew other viewpoint that the system should not have been made so easy that without formal verification from the line owner, services can be transferred without a moments thought. Slamming is fair game when the system can be so easily manipulated.

Hi Buzby,

Take your point about the system being too easy to bypass. Also it shows up BT's systems too, as various people there have told us that a letter is automatically generated when you try & leave them.

I wish I could take the potential customer/prank scenario seriously, but TT have told us that the error occurred because the tel.no. was entered wrong by one digit( 'tho with same std code), & the address was in our street(same postcode) but with a house number that doesn't physically exist, & a false name.

Still, I am going to ask for a listen to the tape of the sales call which they apparently have(What are the chances?:rolleyes:)

If you're lucky, you may get a transcript - but it won;t be for the first time that it 'cannot be traced'. :(

Indeed, and even if they have the transcript, they may refuse to give it to you as it's not in your name so therefore not your personal data (even though it's your phone number).

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi barracad,

I'm hoping that Ofcom are going to pursue this(or is that naive?) because they seemed quite interested when we first complained. It seemed that they are seeing this more & more(Especially with Talk Talk), so I live in hope.

It just seems that the whole procedure is based on fraud & there must be a way to have these b*****s stopped!!:evil:

Indeed, and even if they have the transcript, they may refuse to give it to you as it's not in your name so therefore not your personal data (even though it's your phone number).

Agreed, however if their systems are that sloppy - anything is possible!