• Tweets

• Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
    • well post it here as a text in a the msg reply half of it is blanked out. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cardiff directions hearings *POST HERE*

claret74
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5833 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to you all,

I have posted on this site many times before, but for some reason have been unable to log in under my old name of everybodiesmum. Requested new password, but no luch so have re registered under this name.

Will go to my everbodiesmum thread and explain my new name, cos I do have good news from Cardiff

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jenny, (and all of you) This is my day for receiving answers GET a load of this: :-x

JUDICIARY OF

ENGLAND AND WALES

ANDY CATON

PRIVATE SECRETARY TO THE DEPUTY HEAD OF CIVIL JUSTICE

14th September 2007

Dear Ms

Thank you for your letter dated 10th September 2007 and enclosures

Unfortunately this office does not have any record of receiving your letter of 13th

August, but in response to the points raised it is quite correct to say that no "blanket"

direction to stay cases involving bank charges was made by the Deputy Head of Civil

Justice. Instead the Designated CivilJudge for each area of England and Wales was

asked to consider the cases for which he and his District Judges have conduct and to

make an assessment as to the appropriate course of action.

In some areas there is a large volume of cases which relate to the same point, it is

therefore not surprising that an assessment has been made that a great many of the

cases should be stayed pending the outcome of the High Court hearing.

It is of course open to you to make representations to the County Court to have the

stay lifted. It is however, a matter for the local Judiciary to decide how a case should

be conducted.

Master of the Rolls Private Office Room E214 Royal Courts of Justice Strand London WC2A2LL

Telephone 020 7947 7402 Fax 029 7947 7475 Email [email protected]

Website Judiciary of England and Wales website

and this :-x

Dear Valerie

Jessica has asked me to contact you about your e mail of 7 September in connection with the above.

I have spoken to Jessica and she thinks the best course of action would be to take your concerns up direct with the Chief Executive of the Office of Fair Trading along with a request that they contact you direct to try and resolve your difficulties. In this respect, therefore, are you content for me to release copies of your correspondence to OFT?

I look forward to hearing from you. In the meantime, I will let you have a copy of the letter Jessica sent to the FSA.

Anthony Jermyn

Caseworker

Office of Jessica Morden MP Newport East

Suite 5, 1st Floor, Clarence House, Clarence Place, Newport, South Wales NP19 7AA

01633 841726

[email protected]

AND THIS:-x

General form of Judgement or Order Before District Judge Hendicott sitting at Cardiff County Court etc..etc..

Upon reading the Claimants submissions to the proposed order of stay it is ordered that the submissions be treated as an applicaiton to remove the stay in the order of 07 August 2007

The application be refused.

As this has been refused without a hearing either party may apply for the applicant to be reconsidered at an oral hearing. Any such applicaiton shall be on notice and is reserved to HHJ Hickinbottom or DJ Hendicott unless expressly released by either:-x

Firstly the Master of Rolls I have proof of delivery of my first letter signed for!!

Second, PASS THE BUCK WHY DON'T YOU FSA

And Third The judge saying my application to be treated as an application ???what ???

I already asked for an oral hearing ???

OH vAL WHAT A LOAD OF BULL.... !!! The letter from the MOR is identical to mine, the 2nd letter, yep pass the buck... and the third...what can I say.... gutted.

Johnandcaz, would it be possible for you to give some more info on your case, ie was it to be heard on 14th August (Directions) and what did you put in your application to lift the stay, and if you had the hearing on 14/9 (last Friday) did the judge not give his verdict at that time, why are you waiting to hear from the court??we would be really interested to know and we are all in the delema now of what to do next and you seem to be the only one (so far) to get a hearing!!

• Haha 1

the case was to be heard on 14/08 at cardiff ..cardiff stayed the case 1 week before the hearing..i then appealed the stay and appealed under the hardship lettetr on cag site ie wife has incapacity benefit going into account ...case was heard as a bundel of cases on friday 17 september i didnt request personal hearing couldnt afford the cost only judgement court said on friday by phone that letter of judgement to lift stay should arrive tomorrow tuesday..

Olden--please Do Not Get Down On This .the Banks Are Crooks You Will Get Your Day Thousands Have Already I Am Down But Now I Am Really Angry Keep Fighting They Owe Me £5000 And I Want It And Will Get It Have Contacted Tv And Still Looking For Advice On Cag Site...

bad news just got letter been told judge @cardiff 14/09 refused our appeal to have stay lifted on bla bla bla but have right to apply for hearing will find out the cost but will appeal been fighting to long might be time to contact television

and I thought there was a glimmer of hope here and that perhaps Judge H (which ever one it was) actually had a bone to his spine... but there you go... so sorry to hear this John&Caz... theres a link for the tv programme...

Prime time TV show seeks Complainers at the top of the barclays forum... chin up and lets all keep working together

Hi johnandcaz I will probably bounce back, but I really feel as if we have wasted so much time and effort on this and now getting nowhere. Barclays owe me £1091. not so much as you, but my overdraft has just gone over and I have incurred another £30 charge and I have transferred about £3,000 to 0% rated cards to pay off by a certain time! but it has become more than the money alone it really has become the principal of the whole thing not letting them get away with this. Have you seen this I have written to the BBC after reading this.

SEPTEMBERS NEWS LETTER

Dear ~Members~

Following on from the OFT announcement that they are conducting a test case against the bank we were concerned and we are still concerned whether the test case will ever get heard. It appears from recent media source as if The OFT is going to set a limit which they think is a fair amount and if they banks agree to that limit the test case will be dropped.

Link to media source BBC NEWS | Business | OFT may compromise on bank case

Most of you would have also noticed this paragraph in the article

"In most instances we would probably agree with the banks' arguments that these are not penalties as defined in common law," said Mr Elithorn.

Now what is interesting about this is the fact that Mr Elithorn use to be a Senior Manager for Capital One . See http://www.oft.gov.uk/news/press/2007/62-07

So in realty his comments were not that surprising "however it does beg the Question what on earth is going on at the OFT" and is it all ex bank, credit card mangers making the decisions?

Remember we have a published advice and a template for Members to have stays set a side, however remember you will need to amend this to suit your circumstances, people who are struggling finically will probably be more successful in having stays overturned.

We would advice people to WRITE to the OFT and ask them to confirm that Mr.Elithorn Statement is correct, (remember spell it out) if they confirm it is I would included this in your application for stays to be lifted as clearly there is no guarantee the test case will ever get heard.

Joined Forces

We are happy to announce that we have joined forces with Moneysaving expert and Consumer Action Group and in August the three sites published the bank charges Charter there is also a new petition on the Governments web site that we hope you will sign.

Link to the charter http://www.penaltychargesforum.co.uk/announcement.php?f=182&a=61

Link to the Petition http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BankCharter/

BBC NEED YOU

The BBC Money Programme is making a film about bank charges. We're investigating the current situation between the banks and the OFT examining at how it effects those still hoping to claim. We'd like to hear your stories.

Are you going to court in the next few weeks to claim back bank charges? Do you know if your case will be heard or not? Since the ruling on the 28th July have you had your case heard or been offered a settlement? Would you be willing to speak to the BBC about your situation? We'd like to film with someone currently in the process of trying to claim back their penalty charges.

We'd also like to hear from people who feel they've experienced intimidating behaviour from their bank after submitting a claim.

If any of the above apply to you and your willing to share your story, please contact

[email protected]

0208 752 7447

WE NEED YOU

We are trying to find people who are in finical difficulty because of bank charges who have applied for stay to be removed and argued that they are suffering from hardship

We like to hear from you is you made an application to the court for the stay to be lifted but this was declined. And or you told your bank but they have ignored you!

WHAT NEXT

The simple answer is keep filing you claims if your claim is stayed decided if using the application to have the stay lifted is suitable for your circumstances.

GREAT NEWS

We almost at 5,000,000.00 refunded to members so great work everyone.

THANK YOU

To all the sites Admin and Mods and Members that have given so much of their time to help people because it's the right thing to do. With out you and without your input this site would not work.

So a big thank you from me

Stephen Hone

Founder of the war against bank charges,

Your right Val, it is the principle now (as well as our money) that we are asking for justice on.... we are being pushed aside by the courts with no legal rights. What have you written to the BBC... am I going to see you on tv! well done, you are the backbone to us Cardiff 'carved up' fighters, keep your chin up xxx jenny

Hi Val and all,

I had my letter from the court yesterday, saying the application for removal was rejected,it says I can appeal against this so I will be.

Wow it took them long enough my application was subbmitted on 14th August when I went to the courts.

Sorry Ive not been on here much in the last few weeks but been busy with work, although I have still been reading every day

Hope your all well

Kelley

Sorry to hear that Kelley.

Unless you have special circumstances, you seem unlikely to get the Stay lifted just now and might be spending money you'll not get refunded.

Did the bank take their charges out of Family or State benefits for instance.

Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I went to my bank to try to discuss my circumstances and the charges etc. I had a very patronising response from the HSBC manager I saw. He firmly told me that the fee situation was out of his hands and he couldnt help me and then tried to talk me into remortgaging with them, adding in all of the other money I owe on cards etc. If HSBC paid me back the money they took out of my account [EDIT] unlawfully, I wouldnt owe them anything and I wouldnt now be over my overdraft, and they wouldnt then be still taking charges off me. Last month, I went £1 over my agreed overdraft ((because of the charges they keep slapping on) and the bank charged me £75 for that.They have not been at all helpful, so I am closing my account with them and going to another bank. Not that other banks are any better, but I am going to one that has offered 0% overdraft for 12 months which will at least give me a fighting chance to pay some of the overdraft down enough so that I will not incur any more fees.

I really need to get this all sorted out somehow, I was depending on getting my charges back. I feel that I am loosing a battle here, just like all of the others on here. What can we do????

Hi Lacey I know it's frustrating but DON'T GIVE UP....we will get money back one way or another....if the High court decides in favour of the OFT, it means they will reach an agreement about the level of charges that are deemed "fair" , which will certainally be less than what we have been paying so far, so we will get some back, though maybe not the whole charge, but then there will be added interest to increase the amount. If the Court decides against the OFT - which I personally think is unlikely, given what happened with credit cards, then it's back to where we left off.

The main problem is the time this may all take, tho it seems the OFT may be negotiating with the banks....and Lloyds has already broken ranks and reduced its charges..

Meantime there are still things to do - request the stay is lifted if you had got that far (sorry have not read your thread so do not know what stage you are at), complain to your MP, etc. There are lots of ideas here Don't give in :)

Hi Lacey,

I agree with Mostyn - you should not let this get you down.

However, I think we may well still have the chance to reclaim IN FULL when the Test Case negotiations are complete. Have a look here in our forum Stickies - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/94602-barclays-litigation-team-good-5.html

And I don't agree about applying to lift a Stay. It costs a non-refundable fee and is most likelt to fail unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Stick together, don't let the bu, oops, beggars grind you down and we'll get there in the end.

Slick (With "Jerusalem" playing in my mind!)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Just a quick response - Cardiff waived the fee for entering an application to remove the stay, and also for the application to reconsider the refusal to remove the stay at an oral hearing... so we only have our time to lose....but I do agree, that we need to go into such a hearing very well prepared...in my case D&G never bothered to file an AQ..weeks before the announcement of the test case, so that's one angle I'll be pursuing...

Mostyn (with 4 Non Blondes "What's Going On ?" playing :)