Old debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6198 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just received a letter from a collection agency for a debt over 6 years old, saying that failed to respond to repeated requests from them, funny that i have lived abroad for over 5 years and have never had a single letter from them or have never spoken to anyone regarding the matter.

I would appreciate your advice.

OK if they call you demaning payments or continue by letter then refer the matter to Trading Standards who will contact them on your behalf as they are pursuing a debt which is older than the limitation act allows.

Keep notes of calls, letters once you have informed them of the limitation act and that it is time barred.

I am no longer welcome on CAG

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

I am no longer welcome on CAG

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

i've just got another letter today from Fredrickson International Ltd informing that i have 7 days to pay or they will start court procedings, i have never aknowledged any debt in over 6 years, advice would be appreciated.

I think Dave forgot to insert the link to what he was refering to.

Anyway, on the subject of statute barred debt:

Although the debt is still legally acknowledged as being owed, the creditor is not able to take any legal action against the debtor in order to recover the debt. It is considered unfair if a creditor or debt collector misleads the debtor into believing the debt is still legally recoverable. It is also considered an unfair practice if the creditor or debt collector press for payment after the debtor has stated they will not be paying the money owed. This could amount to harassment contrary to Section 40(1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Basically, they are trying to harass you into paying. If they attempted to take you to court over this the judge would have a fit.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Whoops! :oops:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

2.13 & 2.14

As previously stated it's a good read in its entirety.

It's sometimes a good idea to remind them of these guidelines as i'm sure they still don't expect most folk to know about them!

Good luck, Dave.

I would just send them a letter stating it is statute barred. There is no reason to dispute the debt as it's irrelevant.