style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Me and my OH are on the hunt for a new house, but, as per, are being asked for to pay through the nose for someone to tell us a house benefits from radiators and give us a contract to sign.

I'm sure we should be entitled to ask for a breakdown of these "admin" charges, but I'm not sure of the relevant law to quote.

Can anyone help me find out why I am being asked to pay £287.50 to be shown round a flat and decide I want to live there?

Co-op - £128 settled in full, June '06

First Direct - £125 settled in full, July '06

Barclays - offer made, Dec '06.

First Direct part deux - charges refunded in full, Oct '06, threatened to close a/c in Nov '06, letter dispatched to head man.

Student Loan Company - £25 of charges refunded, Nov '06.

Mr Princess

Lloyds - LBA dispatched, Oct '06

MBNA - LBA dispatched, Nov '06

At what point exactly are they charging you? This is slightly different to other issues like relevant laws - you have not yet taken out a contract with them, and to take out a contract you pay the fees. You are not obligated to pay, you simply walk away. You will be flogging a dead horse to try and get them to reduce their fees - just go with someone else. As I see you are in the newcastle area, if you PM me with what specific area you are looking to move to, I may be able to advise a letting agent.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

If we decide to take the property on we must pay the aforementioned admin fee - haven't met with the agent yet as it's all been web-based, so not sure what it covers - assuming credit checks and similar (£5 from Equifax humph humph)

PMS.

First Direct part deux - charges refunded in full, Oct '06, threatened to close a/c in Nov '06, letter dispatched to head man.

Mr Princess

Letsure's comprehensive referencing service costs considerably more to an agent han £5, and covers more than an Equifax search would do. I should imagine other referencing agencies charge similar to Letsure, it being a competitive market.

You shouldn't be charged any fees before you are shown round properties, though, only once you decide to apply for a particular property.

I accept, as with everything in life, there will be fees, but am asking if I am entitled to ask for a breakdown of this admin charges, and under what law I could make this request.

I would be interested to know what kind of checks are being carried out which would be more comprehensive than an Equifax credit check.

Through work, I have my CRB certificate, if that helps ;)

Mr Princess

I think the problem is that once you ask for a breakdown they may just back away - they have no obligation to give it prior to the contract if you know what I mean. Not a cut and dry situation. Have you considered just searching for private landlords?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Letsure's comprehensive referencing covers employment refs, previous landlord refs, (if applicable), credit searches, risk score, fraud warnings, electoral roll, linked address and identity checks, public information held, bank account information and affordability. Other referencing agencies will probably do similar.

I can't say if you are entitled to a breakdown of the fees, I don't think so but someone may know for certain.

The question is can you find the landlord without them and approach him privately.

Their mobile numbers were in the window of the property, so we are going to give that a try, as it was a nice flat in a decent estate, and they are app prepared to provide brand new furniture - not Granny's cast-offs as previous landlords have done.

The almost £300 of admin fees to the letting agent are to run Experian credit checks on us both - and the letting agent admitted the only thing they would be looking for was CCJs - a letter from our current landlord, a letter from my employer and copies of my partner's tax-returns as he is self employmened.

Not exactly value for money IMO.