• Tweets

• 05.05.24 Ever so sorry if I have entered this in the wrong part of this website.   My grandfather is in his 70's and retired.  He asked me to help him find a work pension that he was paying into when he was working. From 1967 - 1982 he worked for a Fabric Dying Company, Celanese, Spondon Derby UK. I have already used the GOV.uk Trace Pension Scheme. It listed a few pension companies : Akzo Nobel (CPS) Pension Scheme formerly Courtaulds Pension Scheme.  I do not fully understand how this works but I think this scheme is administer by a company called Willis Tower Watson. We have called this company, got through to the pension department submitted all my grandfather's details (D.O.B. , N.I. no. etc.) but that agent tells that they have no record of my grandfather and ask what is the name of the pension scheme. Here is the problem, his home was burgalled in 2005 and a briefcase which contained his legal documents was stolen. So he does not know who was the Pension Scheme company. I have a this phone number 01332 681 210 for Celanese but it just rings and never gets answered. So I am asking for help if anyone can tell us where we can try next. I am also hoping for a massive long shot that one of them members on this website, worked for or knows someone who worked for British Celanese Spondon Derby and could tell us of any pension company. Thanks for any help.
    • Well I sent them the letter of claim, the only responses so far was a few emails reopening the claims on the parcels where they asked for information such as proof of value (which I get) but other things like photos of the parcels, which I haven't got as I never took photos of them. It's been well over the 14 days since I sent the letter now anyway, so what do you think I should do now?
    • Know it has already been answered, but? Does not explain why JCI has registered a different default date when they get the information from the original creditor, Virgin
    • Since you were stopped at the time there is no requirement for the police give you anything there and then or to send you anything before they have decided how to deal with the offence.  They have three choices: Offer you a course Offer you a fixed penalty (£100 and three points) Prosecute you in court  The only option that has a formal time limit is (3). They must begin court proceedings within six months of the date of the alleged offence. Options (1) and (2) have no time limit but since the only alternative the police have if you decline those offers is (3) they will not usually offer a course beyond three months from the date of the offence and will not usually offer a fixed penalty beyond four months from that date. This is so as to allow time for the driver to accept and comply with their offer and to give them the time to go to option (3) if he declines or ignores it.  Unless there is a good reason to do otherwise, the action they take will usually be in accordance with the National Police Chiefs' Council's guidance on speeding enforcement. In a 40mph limit this is as follows Up to 45mph - no action. Between 46mph and 53mph - offer a course Between 54mph and 65mph - offer a fixed penalty Over 65mph - prosecution in court So you can see that 54mph should see you offered a fixed penalty. Three weeks is not overly long for a fixed penalty offer to arrive. As well as that, there has been Easter in that period which will have slowed things down a bit. However, I would suggest that if it gets to about two months from the offence date and you have still heard nohing, I would contact the ticket office for the area where you were stopped to see if anything has been sent to you. Of course this raises the danger that you might be "stirring the hornets' nest". But in all honesty, if the police have decided to take no action, you jogging their memory should not really influence them. The bigger danger, IMHO, is that your fixed penalty offer may have been sent but lost and if you do not respond it will lapse. This will see the police revert to option (3) above. Whilst there is a mechanism in these circumstances  to persuade the court to sentence you at the fixed penalty level (rather than in accordance with the normal guidelines which will see a harsher penalty), it relies on them believing you when you say you did not received an offer. In any case it is aggravation you could well do without so for the sake of a phone call, I'd enquire if it was me.  I think I've answered all your questions but if I can help further just let me know. Just a tip - if you are offered a fixed penalty be sure to submit your driving licence details as instructed. I've seen lots of instances where a driver has not done this. There will be no reminder and no second chance; your £100 will be refunded and the police will prosecute you through the courts.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hsbc

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6197 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just typed our first letter to HSBC to claim £2,000 charges for last six years but not sent it yet as I am worried that HSBC could

a) close our account and ask to have overdraft (authorised) paid back in full straight away (HOwever, the payback of charges if successful would pay the overdraft back, which is the plan anyway)

b) ask full repayment of loan with HSBC (never defaulted on this)

c)ask for repayment of credit card with HSBC (never defaulted on this)

I have also heard that the banks can be spiteful and tamper with your credit history and make hell for the future??.

As a precaution have set up a new Premier bank account with Alliance and Leicester and have been credit scored and accepted for that, but it just worries me that HSBC will ask for their loan and credit card back straight away. Have anyone experienced this?

Should I just be bold and put in my claim?? Many thanks

Hi there and welcome to CAG :)

Sounds to me like you're already on top of things - you've opened a parachute account elsewhere which is always a good plan anyway, even on a first claim.

HSBC, as a rule of thumb, don't tend to close accounts if this is your first claim against them. The only "hiccup" I've really experienced with them since claiming was there refusal to accept a payment into the account and then denying all knowledge of the fact...well that, and their bolshy attitude now but you expect that anyway.

Good luck with your claim, any question just ask away, we've all been where you are right now and we're all here to help. Have a good read of other threads to bring yourself up to speed on the next stage, and have a click on the user guide in my sig for a step by step.

DCA's - they have the same power as an infinite number of untrained chimps working on a script for Hamlet, but the chimps would probably at least get it right :D

No probs, and best of luck :D

DCA's - they have the same power as an infinite number of untrained chimps working on a script for Hamlet, but the chimps would probably at least get it right :D

Once you file with MCOL you'll be dealing with DG, their inhouse solicitors so HSBC will be out of the running pretty much. Any offers you receive will come from them after that point.

In my case they offered the full amount just before their deadline to file a further defence with the courts. They have a tendency to do that sort of thing, take it right up to the wire, thereby wasting courts time and resources.

remember it's your case not the bank's - you're taking them to court and not the other way round. they won't be setting foot in court you'll be paid before that stage although as rayne said, they may take it right to the wire. by that time (if it goes that far even), you'll have a differentattitude towards your claim and you'll be inviting them to join you there for all the messing about they've done lol.

good luck

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

cheers! Thanks for the advice! I have read up on all the steps to follow, sounds straight forward. I suppose you got your claim settled, nettyg,well done!

It's quite addictive reading all the threads on this site! Some wonderful people doing some wonderful work. Thanks again!

netty got well over 6k back! and lots of others have as well.

it's a bit scary taking on the big boys - but you have lots and lots of support here - so take advantage of it - read all you can on other's threads and ask if you have any questions. they won't bother with any of their other products - it's just the current acct. you are dealing with.

i'd say about 95% of the people have to file a claim to get their money back - but, believe me, we have it down to a t - you'll have no problem - just be prepared to wait a little - a little patience - you'll have your money back.

Cheers, for the encouragement. i have been thinking for ages to claim but had to get out of the mindset of feeling like a naughty kid for having gone overdrawn from time to time!! NOw i realise other people are in the same position and it's just not me being ripped of by the bank!!

I know if it hadn't been for the people here I may well have balked at taking on the big boys and I'm now so glad I've had their support. Best advice I can offer is keep reading up on the next stage, make sure you fully understand what's going to happen next and what their likely responses are going to be, saves any nasty surprises :D

As for feeling bad about the way you managed your account...DON'T!!! The issue here is never about financial mis-management, at least not on the consumers part, it's about the bank taking what isn't lawfully theirs in the first place. The irony is, that in a lot of cases, people wouldn't actually be in as bad a financial state as they are if the banks hadn't gotten greedy and decided to screw people over. (mods, please feel free to edit that last bit and my apologies if you do so, I'm afraid I have a rocket up my **** tonight) The thing is its always the ones who can least afford it who get bent over the bonnet, those on benefits, the elderly, the infirm, etc and the banks couldn't give a flying about circumstances so long as they get their money!!!

Sorry, rant over now, I'm going to go and look at Mexico some more...

He he! That made me chuckle, Rayne!

on a more serious note,you are so right, i had exactly those problems with Barclays about 10 years ago (Shame I can't claim for that one now!) They kept slapping on extortionate charges and in the end i had to close the account and take out a very high interest loan with them to pay them back, which took ages!! - (how naive i was then, just took it on the chin, cap in hand!) Fortunately, I am in a better financial position now, but how the banks want us to owe them money! i have just had my details through for my parachute account and although i did stress that i did not want an overdraft except the standard £250 that comes with the account, they have given me a £1,000 overdraft!! Don't want to rely on overdrafts any more! When my settlement comes from HSBC then i am paying off the perpetual overdraft!! Financial freedom at last!!

Cheers for your encouragement! Keep up the good work!

Wow! i've just read the whole long thread of what a woman and her battle against hsbc. i think i would be tempted to take the offer of 85% if that was offered. could save a lot of hassle.is that usually 85% of the original claim plus the 8% interest? At this stage i have just asked for all charges listed. do you add the 8% at the mcol stage? I hand delivered my first letter in the end to my branch. should i contact them and ask if it is being dealt with or just send the LBA anyway when the 14 days are up? grateful for advice. Having nightmares this will drag on for years!!

yes, you add the 8% when you file the actual claim

handing it in at the branch is ok - but you should ask for a receipt.

so, no other contact needed - 14 days after the prelim - you do the lba.

it just shows that a little patience and you will be successful.

ignore any silly letters from hsbc saying they are looking into it.

figure about 4 months from the very first contact with hsbc to settlement.

look at it this way - a year ago - you probably had no idea you would be getting anything back - so for a little effort and a little time - look what you stand to gain.

Just got my customary letter from uncle Colin today in response to the prelim letter hand delivered to my branch on 3rd May. Surprised Mr Langdale is still around! Thought he may be reeling under the sacks of mail and claiming leave on the grounds of stress! LOL! Anyway, I doubt anything will be offred before 17th May when I will be dispatching my LBA! Reading up on the MCOL procedure as well. NO doubt that will be the next step after LBA.

Anyone know what happened with Tom Brennan and his case? I must admit i was fretting a bit thinking that if Natwest get their smartass lawyers on to the case and somehow wangle it in their favour then all us claimants will be out on our ear!! But hopefully it won't come to that because we are rightfully claiming what;s ours! To justify the "bank robbery"which has been going on surely must be impossible... So i have every faith in getting back the dosh! And yes, I will be making a donation to this site to be sure! Without you guys who have boldly

gone before i would not have the guts to take on the baddie bank in the first place!!

cheers one and all!

Just got my customary letter from uncle Colin today in response to the prelim letter hand delivered to my branch on 3rd May. Surprised Mr Langdale is still around! Thought he may be reeling under the sacks of mail and claiming leave on the grounds of stress! LOL! Anyway, I doubt anything will be offred before 17th May when I will be dispatching my LBA! Reading up on the MCOL procedure as well. NO doubt that will be the next step after LBA.

Anyone know what happened with Tom Brennan and his case? I must admit i was fretting a bit thinking that if NatWest get their smartass lawyers on to the case and somehow wangle it in their favour then all us claimants will be out on our ear!! But hopefully it won't come to that because we are rightfully claiming what;s ours! To justify the "bank robbery"which has been going on surely must be impossible... So i have every faith in getting back the dosh! And yes, I will be making a donation to this site to be sure! Without you guys who have boldly

gone before i would not have the guts to take on the baddie bank in the first place!!

cheers one and all!

Just writing the LBA. Unfortunately the prelim letter i sent was not from this site but from the moneysavingexpert site. So i did not ask for the terms of conditions of the bank account in my first letter. I have therefore amended the LBA paragraph to request it now and if they do not supply it it will be brought to the court's attention bla bla is that OK? Also, the last bit in blue "Furthermore, I shall submit a Consumer Credit Act 1974 complaint to the OFT upon the basis that you have failed to comply with the OFT's direction of 5 April 2006 and are therefore not a 'fit and proper person' to hold a consumer credit licence under the 1974 Act. If you do not understand what this means then seek advice from your legal department".

Is this important to include? If so, if I include it how do you submit a complaint to OFT? ARe people doing this as a matter of course in their claims process? grateful for your help so that i can get this LBA off asap! Cheers,

the advice is - don't include it unless you actually intend to follow through - so leave it out if you wish.

just follow the lba from the library - you will be fine - doesn't matter what you said in the first letter - you were only asking for your money back - doesn't even matter if the amount changes - so make sure your breakdown is complete and on a spreadsheet (just cover over the 8% column for this letter) nice, neat spredsheet with names of charges as per your statements - (another little thing mse falls short on).

thanks again! i think i am going to make a new spreadsheet to send with the LBA, as the original spreadsheet i just made up myself simply using a column for each year and listing the charges with the dates on each side, totalling each year at the bottom and then an entry for the grand total. I did not name the charges next to each charge. so i am going to redo it following the proper CAG format. Just thinking, as I took the charges from my online statments but did not print them out, now I may not be able to go back as far as i did around the 20th May. Anyway, i will see what happens. Guess i should now print out all those statements in case i ever neeeded them in court!! And thanks again lateralus. You must get fed up with all the questions!

only the same ones - and yours is different -

try this:INTERNET BANKING WEBSITE: -

HSBC INTERNET BANKING

HOW TO OBTAIN YOUR STATEMENTS ON LINE: -

Click on “My Accounts” choose the account that you wish to deal with and then click on “My Statements” this will give you online access to up to 6 years of statements. (Repeat for each account and use a separate spreadsheet for each account).

Hint: - Watch out for the moving "Prev" button it is replaced by "Next" which takes you back to where you started :rolleyes:

and yes, i'd print them off in case you can't get them later - then you'll have them.