GHD nightmare !!! any advice on what to put in my complaint letter?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6201 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya everyone

I could really do with some advice! My daughters GHD's are only 14 months old and after sending them back last week they have sent me a letter basically saying it her fault that sparks came out of the cord and that this is normal effect of wear and tear :S

They also say they cant repair them but offering to sell me a new pair for a discount price of £70!! or they will send my old ones back for £10!!! :sad:

can anyone help me with my response to this letter iv recieved

any advice would be great i think its awful that they sell these things for so much and they only last 12 months!:evil::eek::evil:

Lucy x

Hiya everyone

I could really do with some advice! My daughters GHD's are only 14 months old and after sending them back last week they have sent me a letter basically saying it her fault that sparks came out of the cord and that this is normal effect of wear and tear :S

They also say they cant repair them but offering to sell me a new pair for a discount price of £70!! or they will send my old ones back for £10!!! :sad:

can anyone help me with my response to this letter iv recieved

any advice would be great i think its awful that they sell these things for so much and they only last 12 months!:evil::eek::evil:

Lucy x

Lucy, sorry, only just saw this here and on my own GHD thread.

This is the letter I sent them, feel free to use and alter as you wish:

GHD

PO BOX 397

Keighley,

BD20 0WX,

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was extremely disappointed in your answer regarding the ceramic styling irons I returned.

I do not accept that an appliance that is approximately 16 months old should fail under “wear and tear”. I do not accept that what seemed to be an electrical internal problem inside a non opening casing could possibly come under “wear and tear”. I do not accept that because it is over 12 months old, it exonerates you from your obligations as regards satisfactory quality. I certainly do not accept that one should have to pay £23 for repairs when one has paid £110 or so for an item less than 18 months after purchase.

I refer you to The Sales of Goods Act 1979 and its explicit terms:

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) says that goods should be as follows:

· Of satisfactory quality.

This means the goods must meet the standards that any reasonable person would expect, taking into account the description, the price and all other relevant information. In some circumstances, the retailer may be liable for any statement made by the manufacturer about the goods.

Satisfactory quality includes the appearance and finish of the goods, their safety and durability and whether they are free from defects (including minor faults). (…)

Also:

“A guarantee is extra to your rights under the Sale of Goods Act.”

I must ask you to reconsider your response, failing which, I must ask you to return the faulty item to me so that I may pursue the matter further, up to and including the issue of Summons in the County Courts if necessary.

Yours sincerely,

Hope this helps you. :-)

hiya bookworm

Thanks so so much for your help! iv just wrote a letter to them using bits from yours also :)

I think they really must be crazy people at ghd to suggest sparks coming out of a cable as normal wear and tear!

Im gonna post it off tomorrow il let you know when and if i hear back from them!

Thanks again so much :)

Lucy xxx

I have had 2 pairs of GHD irons repaired free of charge.... one pair was still in warranty, so it was a doddle... but the other pair was approx. 18 months old and they sparked and died. My friend's daughter had the same problem with hers... which also sparked and died ! So, having ghd's that spark and die seems to be a common fault.... either that, or it's a very small world.

My letter was in a similar vein to Bookworm's in that I didn't accept that an appliance costing approx. £100 should only last for this length of time before needing to fork out another £100 for a new set of irons :mad: .

I complained by e-mail.... they sent me a Freepost address where I could send them (rec. delivery)... and a fortnight later, they were returned to me and have worked fine ever since.

Just as an additional thought.... when you do get them back, get into the habit of unplugging them at the wall. I saw on a Watchdog type programme how they were able to turn themselves on :eek: ..... and I came in from work one day to find mine had done just that.... they could have been burning away for hourse.... :eek: .